New Land Cruiser

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
Has anyone seen the new Toyota FJ 'Cruiser?

2007-Toyota-FJ-Cruiser.jpg
jf_07fj_blog.jpg

I'm from Salt Lake City (currently displaced to California), and I loved the ability of my Jeep XJ - but I hated the repair costs and poor build quality. My dad has an early 90's FJ-80, actually the last model before the 'Cruiser got Yuppified with leather, running boards and DVD players. That vehicle has over 100,000 miles on it and is still running strong. It's been bounced over rockes and rough terrain from Wyoming to Arizona, crossed streams that covered the hood, and run though burning heat and freezing cold. It just keeps running. I was lamenting that there were no "real" SUVs of high quality left, and then, as if an answer to my prayer, Toyota decided to build the new FJ.

I went to the site and priced one out - with all the rock rails, roof racks, and trailer hitch that I want it still only comes to $30,000. More than a Jeep TJ-D, but it will also last 4 times as long with what I have planned for it. I this is my carrot, this car will be my reward when I get my doctorate. As soon as I start making some money I am going to buy one of these in the Fusion Blue.

I know there are some people who categorically hate all SUVs and 4x4s, but let me assure you - I do actually use an SUV the way it was intended. I hike, camp and go off-road for fun (but I always stay on-trail!). Any SUV I buy would not be a Pavement-Queen Yuppie-mobile, it would be taken to Moab within weeks of purchase and probably come home with battle damage. I think SUVs should only be purchased if you actually need the capability for snow, offroad or towing reasons. Anyway, what do you think of this vehicle?

I'm clearly a tainted source. I would be interested in hearing what you guys think - and telling me that I'm a fool because I overlooked a glaring design fault or something.

Fixed

To be really technical FJ is the Toyota internal designation for all models of the Land Cruiser Line which is why I don't understand why they are calling this the "FJ Cruiser." All 'Cruisers are "FJ"

Whatever the name, what do you think of the vehicle?

Why not an Xterra? Just as functional, if not more so. It's also built for kicking ass in the wilderness, especially now it's on the bigger Titan platform. Plus, in my eyes it looks far better.

I drove a 1st-gen Xterra, so I'm not biased at all. :lol:

to address the question of aesthetics: I quite like the look of this vehicle, it's a unique design in an industry flooded with SUVs, and it looks like it was really ment to go offroad. It looks out of place on pavement, and I like that.

A couple of reasons I like the FJ more than the X-Terra.

The X-terra does not have a locking rear differential (unless there is a new feature I don't know about)
And the FJ has a traction control system that was designed and programmed specifically for offroad use, it's not a sedan system that has been grafted to an SUV. I do like the X-terra, just not as much as this. I like the 2-door design with the suicide half-door and I like that the spare is on the back and not under the floor, eating up rear end clearance.

Finally, I have been really impressed with the FJ-80 my dad owns, especially compared to lesser SUVs like my Jeep XJ. The FJ-80 has taken us places where we encounter serious Jeeps (as in no longer street legal) who wonder how we got a "Grocery Getter" stock SUV into those trails.

We used to own a Pathfinder and it was a dog. At 12 months it was drinking oil faster than petrol and was in the shop for a new block. A few years later it started consuming oil again so we dumped it before it died. I know alot has changed for Nissan since 1989, but the FJ-80 has honestly been one of the best vehicles anyone in my family can ever remember having and I am excited that the Cruiser line has at least one serious offroad machine back on the line for the US.

So to answer your question, I don't have anything against X-terra, in fact I really liked it when it first came out. It seemed to be desined by out door enthusiasts to be used as SUVs should be. However, it seems to be suffering from the same affliction that claimed the Land Cruiser. As time passes it gets a little bigger, with just a few more features. This is how the Curiser line (FJ-80 and FJ 100s) became the luxury pavement dweller it is today. The original X-terra still has that same minimalist look, but the new ones are turing into exactly what it was designed to never be: a pavement queen. That is not to say that under the skin there isn't an offroader, there is just like the Cruiser FJ 100s. I just don't see X-terras off road. I may only see one or two a year in Moab and they are usually in pretty tame areas. I just am not familar enough with the latest from Nissan and how well it would hold up under a pounding. The Cruiser is damned near bullet proof, and I know that from first hand experience. That buys loyalty that no testimonal could.

I guess it's the X-Factor, that undescribable quality some vehicles have. This one has that for me, the X-Terra never really did. I can see myself in this vehicle - it fits with my self-image and where I am in life. It's not a soccer-mom-mobile and it's not set up for people with kids, but you can put people in the back when needed. This is more of a "Man and his car" type of vehicle. I guess there is no logical reason behind my fandom of the FJ aside from Toyota's proven reliability and rugged construction. It speaks to the primitive reptilian part of my brain that wants to drive through mud, rivers, and over rocks, rubble and small hybrids.

Wow, that turned into way more than I intended.
What is your X-Factor vehicle?

At first I thought "My God. It's an ugly bastard"... but after looking at this thread for a fourth time I've decided that it actually looks awesome. I love the retro styling and being a Toyota, you know it will be a kick-arse off road car. Only thing it needs is a diesel to complement the relatively powerful V6.

I wouldn't buy one as I don't have the use but for the wow factor and go (almost) anywhere ability, why the hell not!

I want one, especially if one of my first cars was this:

http://img425.imageshack.**/img425/4845/dsc00515jpg9vz.jpg

:love:

They're all around here... I saw a few at the Toyota dealership yesterday. I would never buy one since I don't get the point of thee types of cars (like the Honda Element and the Nissan Xterra), but it's totally cute. You just wanna run up to it and give it a big hug.

It's retro done right... Americans take a hint.

Just saw one tonight outside Pier 1 while on my way to get dog food. It's certainly um.... noticable. :lol: :thumbsup:

Blind_Io said:
to address the question of aesthetics: I quite like the look of this vehicle, it's a unique design in an industry flooded with SUVs, and it looks like it was really ment to go offroad. It looks out of place on pavement, and I like that.

A couple of reasons I like the FJ more than the X-Terra.

The X-terra does not have a locking rear differential (unless there is a new feature I don't know about)
And the FJ has a traction control system that was designed and programmed specifically for offroad use, it's not a sedan system that has been grafted to an SUV. I do like the X-terra, just not as much as this. I like the 2-door design with the suicide half-door and I like that the spare is on the back and not under the floor, eating up rear end clearance.

Finally, I have been really impressed with the FJ-80 my dad owns, especially compared to lesser SUVs like my Jeep XJ. The FJ-80 has taken us places where we encounter serious Jeeps (as in no longer street legal) who wonder how we got a "Grocery Getter" stock SUV into those trails.

We used to own a Pathfinder and it was a dog. At 12 months it was drinking oil faster than petrol and was in the shop for a new block. A few years later it started consuming oil again so we dumped it before it died. I know alot has changed for Nissan since 1989, but the FJ-80 has honestly been one of the best vehicles anyone in my family can ever remember having and I am excited that the Cruiser line has at least one serious offroad machine back on the line for the US.

So to answer your question, I don't have anything against X-terra, in fact I really liked it when it first came out. It seemed to be desined by out door enthusiasts to be used as SUVs should be. However, it seems to be suffering from the same affliction that claimed the Land Cruiser. As time passes it gets a little bigger, with just a few more features. This is how the Curiser line (FJ-80 and FJ 100s) became the luxury pavement dweller it is today. The original X-terra still has that same minimalist look, but the new ones are turing into exactly what it was designed to never be: a pavement queen. That is not to say that under the skin there isn't an offroader, there is just like the Cruiser FJ 100s. I just don't see X-terras off road. I may only see one or two a year in Moab and they are usually in pretty tame areas. I just am not familar enough with the latest from Nissan and how well it would hold up under a pounding. The Cruiser is damned near bullet proof, and I know that from first hand experience. That buys loyalty that no testimonal could.

I guess it's the X-Factor, that undescribable quality some vehicles have. This one has that for me, the X-Terra never really did. I can see myself in this vehicle - it fits with my self-image and where I am in life. It's not a soccer-mom-mobile and it's not set up for people with kids, but you can put people in the back when needed. This is more of a "Man and his car" type of vehicle. I guess there is no logical reason behind my fandom of the FJ aside from Toyota's proven reliability and rugged construction. It speaks to the primitive reptilian part of my brain that wants to drive through mud, rivers, and over rocks, rubble and small hybrids.

Wow, that turned into way more than I intended.
What is your X-Factor vehicle?
That's a very good answer, kudos for not turning it into a flame war. :cheers: If I were to get an off-road vehicle it'd probably be an Xterra for similar reasons as you've listed, since it's got the X-factor for me. Probably because it looks badass in my mind and mine had lasted numerous camping trips and Boy Scout excursions into the woods. But hey, each to his own like they always say.

And BTW, it does come with a locking rear diff, in case you were wondering.

BlaRo,

Thanks for telling me that. I was thinking about what you said about the X-Terra today when I was behind one on the road. It certainly has the clearance I would want, but from what I have seen offroad it desprately needs more wheel travel for serious rock crawling. I still like the first version more than the current model - the new one just seems a little "softer" somehow. If it were not for the FJ, the X-terra would probably be my next choice... or push my dad down the stairs and take his FJ-80.

I teased him once about doing that to get his cameras and the Land Cruiser. My brother said he would help because he wants the RX-8 and the pistols (as do I). My dad said that he planned to be buried with the pistols and the cameras in the RX-8 which was to be parked inside the Land Cruiser.

Dad -1
Kids - 0

It's on sale already... I've seen them on the street and at the Toyota dealers.

I saw one here at the auto show back in Janurary and it doesn't look half bad!

(sorry that they're kinda blurry - they have the worst lighting at the Convention Center)

http://img214.imageshack.**/img214/6449/img03013kb.jpg

http://img205.imageshack.**/img205/7987/img03037om.jpg

just saw one this morning while picking up wheel bearings for my roomates echo. it looks great in person. i never wanted to own an SUV before but now i kinda want one

TF

Its a pretty ugly car though.. I think I rather stick with my 11 year old Discovery than that.

Why did toyota release this, isnt the land cruiser a very very capable car?