Say Good-bye to The Golf...

No Boss

Neener, neener, I banned your title!
Car(s)
'07 Volvo XC70 Polestar, '01 Miata SE
...and Hello to The Rabbit.

As a throwback to the classics, I think Rabbit is a much better name. Weather the new car gives justice to the original, I don't have ways or means to compare.

I like the rabbit logo.

don't like the name Golf, but it is already known .. i'm wondering if changing the name will hurt sales

Hmmmmm, interesting :think: Not sure about the name though, I'd much rather say that I drive a Golf than a Rabbit. Mind you, learners will feel right at home bunny hopping one of these.

I've always wondered, why has it taken so damn long to get the Mk V into North America and is that 2.5L 150hp the only engine available? Why not just use the 2.0L FSI? Has the same output, just doesn't make any sense at all!

watto said:
Hmmmmm, interesting :think: Not sure about the name though, I'd much rather say that I drive a Golf than a Rabbit. Mind you, learners will feel right at home bunny hopping one of these.

I've always wondered, why has it taken so damn long to get the Mk V into North America and is that 2.5L 150hp the only engine available? Why not just use the 2.0L FSI? Has the same output, just doesn't make any sense at all!
the GTI only has the 2.0 FSI available

I think it's a bad idea. I'm not old enough to remember the Rabbit, but VW has implanted the Golf name into our minds through millions of dollars in clever, memorable advertising (da da dah), so why confuse us now? What's next, Chevy resurrects the Chevette name? :?

The Rabbit name has history in the US, in fact the MK1 Golf was originally called the Rabbit in the US where everywhere else it was called the Golf. I think it's a good move on behalf of Volkswagen personally.

WTF

Thats a silly name whether it has history or not. I can't be fucked to read on and find out why they renamed it but I must say I like the logo that comes with the new name :)

Rabbit??? That's one of the worst car names I've ever heard. And renaming a car *after* you've launched it???

I guess the advantage of calling it a Rabbit, is that 2 weeks after you buy it, you'll have about 50 smaller ones running around your garage...

The problem is that anyone who remembers the Rabbit remembers a real dog of a car, especially the diesel. My freind had one and it was the ultimate beater. The doors were prone to jamming forcing you in and out of the car Dukes of Hazzard style about 20% of the time. The spedometer quit working but you could tell how fast you were going by what was rattling or squeaking, also by the rhythem of the shaking. The warning lights never went off, ever, even after a tune-up and no one could figure out why. The "Shift, Stupid" light also never went off unless you were at exactly the RPM the car wanted (about 1200 RPM) at which point it would stall.

What next, ressurecting the Sirroco? My dad had one when I was younger, the tranny blew up all over the road at 70,000 miles (the end of it's life), the padding in the seats turned to dust, one door poped it's welds and had to be welded back on, the rear dash covering decomposed, the dash cracked, the driver wing mirror rusted off and had to be amputated and it sounded like being caught in a food blender.

No, the name "Golf" brings up much better images in my mind than "Rabbit"

That is, and always will be, a "Golf"

Just imagine what a tool you will look like when you tell someone: a drive a Rabbit GTI!

bartboy9891 said:
watto said:

the GTI only has the 2.0 FSI available

How dumb is that? Why would the 1.6 and 2.0L petrol engines not be available? Why do they need to put in a bigger engine with the same output? Silly VW North America.

I guess the 2.5 is cheaper than a highly-sophisticated FSI engine, and fuel economy is less important than price in America, so they just offer it with that to make it cheaper.

FATMOUSE said:
Just imagine what a tool you will look like when you tell someone: a drive a Rabbit GTI!
Get fuckED, I'm not going to call it that! I dought anyone of us will call it a Rabbit and if they do :ban?:

Wow, they're selling the Golf as a man's sporty hatch thing and now they're gonna call it the Rabbit?

This has got to be a joke.... Either that, VW are idiots.

Viper007Bond said:
This has got to be a joke.... Either that, VW are idiots.

Especially the price tag! SERIOUSLY WTF! 15000 Dollars for a 150 bhp Golf? Thats 12000 Euros!
The very base model with a 75 bhp 1.4 engine costs 15000 Euros over here!

I have a feeling some of you saying it's a bad idea, are either too young to remember the rabbit in the US or aren't from the US.

flyingfridge said:
I guess the advantage of calling it a Rabbit, is that 2 weeks after you buy it, you'll have about 50 smaller ones running around your garage...
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

flyingfridge said:

Yeah, but you need to invest in two of them to do that.

So what happens when a VW Fox gets behind a Rabbit in traffic?