A good RWD beater?

lol that's about 23x higher than his "price range."

I also suggest the Miata. Since its introduction, it's been the perfect sports car!

vanMould said:
Is it really that impossible to have fun in a FWD car? They are of course inferior to a RWD in most ways but an early Golf GTI or just about any sporty hatchback are still pretty fun.

Or is it just the Saab-fanatic in me that just can't leave people who MUST have a RWD alone? :p

Torque steer, understeer... Need I say more? =)
My dad had a Mark II GTI 16v back in Poland, he thinks I should save a little bit more and get myself a VW Corrado VR6... But FWD =\

hows a 240sx look?
im about to get one of those
as a beater
then the 911
:woot:

Izari said:
hows a 240sx look?
as a beater
then the 911
Why not just keep the Z until you save up enough for a 911? Saves you the trouble, and the Z's not exactly a tortuous land barge. :bangin:

Besides, how old are you anyway? A little too early for a new 911?

Please for the love of god dont get a Z32 300ZX if you dont have the money to repair it. They are ornery, and complex to fix. Sorry to use you as an example BalRo, but your avatar made something in my head click about RWD car suggestions.

Militant-Grunt said:
vanMould said:
Is it really that impossible to have fun in a FWD car? They are of course inferior to a RWD in most ways but an early Golf GTI or just about any sporty hatchback are still pretty fun.

Or is it just the Saab-fanatic in me that just can't leave people who MUST have a RWD alone? :p

Torque steer, understeer... Need I say more? =)
My dad had a Mark II GTI 16v back in Poland, he thinks I should save a little bit more and get myself a VW Corrado VR6... But FWD =\

When is your car ever going to torque steer/understeer on typical morning/evening commute speeds in New York?

It's a beater, its not like you will be using it for extended high performance driving.

That said, a Honda Prelude might be nice. Yes, its fwd, but see above.

jayhawk said:
Please for the love of god dont get a Z32 300ZX if you dont have the money to repair it. They are ornery, and complex to fix. Sorry to use you as an example BalRo, but your avatar made something in my head click about RWD car suggestions.
It's alright, you've got a point. The turbos are pretty reliable, but only if you take really good care of them; otherwise, they can be extremely costly to replace. There's not much space under the hood for repairing anything, either.

But jeez, at least spell my name right! :x ;)

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the early 80's Celica. Ulgy as sin, but have the 20/22r in them. You won't be able to break the car. I'd be suprised if you would have to spend 500$ on a clean one

Izari said:
hows a 240sx look?
as a beater
then the 911

krisweb3.jpg

It is a fairly nice car. Just all of them on sale around here are complete trash.

"When is your car ever going to torque steer/understeer on typical morning/evening commute speeds in New York?

It's a beater, its not like you will be using it for extended high performance driving.

That said, a Honda Prelude might be nice. Yes, its fwd, but see above."

This is true, but, I am not only going to use it just to get to school. I want to use it as a car to improve my driving skill.

probably the uglies rims ive ever seen on a 240... look for something stock is my recommendation. also if you are looking for something to upgrade later on, look into sohc. for example more na power has been through the sohc than the dohc and because of the lower stock compression, they are easier to turbo. theyre also cheap as hell.

Maybe an older Mazda sporty type, then? An old Supra? Your options are limited if you want a functioning RWD car for a grand.

You could maybe save up and look around 3-4 grand, would likely give you more, better, options. Good (or better) things come to those who wait, maybe?

thedguy said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the early 80's Celica. Ulgy as sin, but have the 20/22r in them. You won't be able to break the car. I'd be suprised if you would have to spend 500$ on a clean one
I owned a 1981 Celica GT 5speed and that was a fun little car. The thing was beat up pretty bad, but it was a gem to drive. Couldn't drift around corners though, not with 100hp, I would just end up on the sidewalk. :D

Mazda miata is a pure FR sports car & perfect beater:

cheap (made since '89 and it aint a 240sx or AE86), japanese reliability (unlike a mustang or RX-7), understated cause haters dont like the "image it gives" (HA!)

Cant wait!!

With a hartop, it looks like a nice coup?.

i dont think u can do it for a grand or even 1500..
im setting my range at 2-3 lol...
thats gonna be really a car just like original poster...
beater + a car to learn stuff in (i dont want to rape my Z doing stupid stuff nor the future garage queen lol)
imo... u can get a HIIIIGHHHH milage 240 for like 2500-3000
bu tthere is always the option to SR20DET :woot: when it breaks down...
and by doing that u basically have to shell out another 2500-3000 :yucky:
but the overall body and components has to be good tho...
or stuff go wrong and it would suck :cry:

word.

the 240SX is perhaps the most overrated car tuned today, IMO. Just realize they aren't some "jr. skyline" or whatever and you'll be fine. You can pick up cars in need of an engine all day long for $500, spend around $300 on a used KA and there you go, $900 RWD beater. If you're into drifting buy a $150 pathfinder spool, some drop springs and sway bars and you're still under $1500. Otherwise you can pick up a used diff for pretty cheap and save for good parts.

start asking around on 240 forums, even zilvia. This probably isn't the best place to ask for 240 stuff, I think they're only two people on here who have them and tune them.

zenkidori said:
word.

the 240SX is perhaps the most overrated car tuned today, IMO. Just realize they aren't some "jr. skyline" or whatever and you'll be fine. You can pick up cars in need of an engine all day long for $500, spend around $300 on a used KA and there you go, $900 RWD beater. If you're into drifting buy a $150 pathfinder spool, some drop springs and sway bars and you're still under $1500. Otherwise you can pick up a used diff for pretty cheap and save for good parts.

start asking around on 240 forums, even zilvia. This probably isn't the best place to ask for 240 stuff, I think they're only two people on here who have them and tune them.

what else is rwd, reliable, easy to fix for around 15-2000?

vanMould said:
Militant-Grunt said:
I want to use it as a car to improve my driving skill.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7488563178298924561 ;)

that is good lol i watched that a while back...
thats some crazy stunts there
but ...
the only thing that clip is missing is some tire smoking...
a 240sx with LSD and some power upgrades can do the same as well as going sideways(FUN)
i dont think all of us are looking for time-trials and to clock the best time...
in autox im looking to have fun and do what i cant do on the street ...
that includes going sideways a 'little'
that said ... example of what im trying to describe could be from JC's Heaven and Hell (2005)... the scene where they match up the EVO9 and the Monaro ... even though the EVO with awd is fast and smoooth, if u really want to have fun u gotta have the rwd...