~425MB Top Gear rips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, VLC plays it fine as I have a few HDTV rips in that format, but I think they are in .mkv wrappers and such.

I think we'll just stick to XviD and bump it to 425MB, unless someone can give me a really good reason not to.

For those of us on limited bandwidth no increase in size is good. The quality is just fine and an increase would just make an already long download longer. On another note thanks for providing these shows to those of us who would have no way of seeing them otherwise.

Viper007Bond said:
Hmm, isn't H.264 only worthwhile on much higher quality rips?

No, H.264 is simply a better video compression algorithm then DivX (XviD), and will indeed provide better quality for the same file size. The downside is that it requires faster CPUs to encode and decode, so I guess we will hear more hysterical cries from all those pour souls that not only still use dial-up to access Internet, but also have 300 MHz Pentium II processors.

ericheadley said:
For those of us on limited bandwidth no increase in size is good. The quality is just fine and an increase would just make an already long download longer. On another note thanks for providing these shows to those of us who would have no way of seeing them otherwise.

I thought you can watch Top Gear as stream on the BBC page now, still only from inside the UK, but better than nothing and the traffic for it will be a lot lower.
Therefore the FG rips can become bigger now, since users with low bandwidth can now use the BBC service. :thumbsup:

Renesis said:
It's too fucking big, waste of bandwidth..

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

600 MB more per season is really not that big of a deal... If they would do 10 eps it would be even 100 MB more with 350 MB...

Viper007Bond said:
No, VLC plays it fine as I have a few HDTV rips in that format, but I think they are in .mkv wrappers and such.

I think we'll just stick to XviD and bump it to 425MB, unless someone can give me a really good reason not to.

Stick to XviD! I want to watch TG on the tv with the dvd/divx player.

TechZ said:
Viper007Bond said:

Stick to XviD! I want to watch TG on the tv with the dvd/divx player.

Yeah, ~425MB XviDs are perfect.

When I first read this post when the poll came out I was for the 450 mb, back then everyone was groaning about it... Now it seems like the other way round... Please hear my opinion. There are 350mb and 700mb (external torrents). Some people can take the trouble to download 700mb just to watch it in top quality (like me, sure i know ppl can argure about it being too high settings). However there seem to be some people who have internet bandwith issues... I say keep it 350mb, if they can/want more quality they can go for the 700mb version! remember its top gear and its worth it! Just voicing my opinion. :)

jensked said:
Now someone lock this thread before somebody starts a flame war :p

425 is perfect for me. It's only 75mb more so that won't give me bandwith exceeding troubles.

Yeah, people its 75 mb, it's not like the file size is increasing by 100s of MB. I think the question has been answered and doesn't need to be discussed further (as both VUK and Viper agreed on 425MB). I'm gonna lock, and if someone thinks this needs more discussion, they can unlock it.

fucking hell and I won't be able to get them anymore by the looks of things..

I feel like doing an internet suicide :(

Status
Not open for further replies.