Mini Tripods - What do you prefer?

AxlxA

Sorry to start a new thread on this but as I will be travelling to Europe in only a few weeks, I wanted to know if I were to buy a mini tripod to put it into my camera bag, should this tripod be one fot hose w/ 3 stiff legs or the ones w/ the adjustable/flexible ones that i see on ebay/amazon.

What mini tripods do you guys use? what would your experience tell you which type is better?

Flexible Type

Just FYI - I've got a mini tripod with 3 stiff legs, which is just about able to hold the EOS 350D with the kit lens. If I stick the longer lens on, I've got to put something under the lens/hold on to it to support it.
As for the flexible ones, I've not yet found one that holds the 350D that well (though I haven't been looking really hard tbh, as I'm happy with mine).

I got mine for free off the front of a mag. It's a Hama one and I can get a piccy if you want. However, I really got it for my compact digicam, and for that it's been fantastic. But I wouldn't recommend buying it specifically for a DSLR.

Have you considered one of those proper tripods that folds up really quite small? They're not full size, so are not as tall as fullsize ones when extended, but should be good enough...

not for a DSLR! it will tip over...

they aren't really useful anyway, since you can't put them were you want to.

i'd say get a decent one for your dslr if you want long exposures...
you can get a relatively light and compact one for about 15 bucks, but you should use timer mode then because the cheap ones are rather flimsy and pressing the shutter alone can lead to unsharpness.
proper, solid pods cost a little more...

I already have a tripod that extends atleast 5feet. i just wanted the smaller one for convenience of walking around with. My big tripod is hard to carry around since hte strap on the bag for that tripod is so small, it's very uncomfortable to wear it over the shoulder.

SO i am guessing a minitripod is gonna make my slr hit the ground.. that's definitely something i will infinitely avoid. So I guess i Shouldnt' get one?

if monkeymax says the stiff one can hold the 350, you can try it. it won't hold my e500. :D
however, don't expect too much since you hardly find a nice place to put the pod.

Get a small, but stiff one. This is what I have:

http://img288.imageshack.**/img288/937/dsc052382qm.jpg

http://img288.imageshack.**/img288/1345/dsc052392vq.jpg

It only cost me like $25 dollars and it is compact and very sturdy. You can fit it into a bluejeans pocket with no problem.

I was hoping I could get a photo of mine, but it's bundled in Dad's camera bag (with 350D) and he's had them both for the last few days. :(
As soon as I get it I'll snap it, but mine is plastic, so is lighter and smaller than JayJaya's. However, it doesn't extend and probably isn't as strong.

I was almost going to buy one like Jayjaya's (as I said earlier, mine ended up being free anyway) but found the head was too loose and the legs were not great when extended with a camera attached. I recommend you try to test if you can in a photo shop, with your camera and lens.

Yes, there may still be some wobble - there is with mine and I will often still use remote/timer to take photos. And yes, you have to think more creatively about where you'll perch it (such as on car roof/pedastal, etc). However, I still really recommend you get one as they're cheap, light (I always carry mine with me - except when Dad nicks it) and better than trying to be in two places at once/holding your hand incredibly steady for 2 seconds.

I probably sounded very negative before. I didn't mean to be. You should get one, but don't expect miracles, and do test it before you take it and rely on it. And if it isn't strong enough to keep camera + lens at the right angle, consider propping up on something - this is something else to be creative about! I use a book, magazine or camera bag. My Dad uses a box of cigarettes (which is actually better than any of mine, but I don't smoke).

As for the problem of the strap with your current one - it isn't too difficult to sew on a new strap you know! I've done it before! :)

Even if you do sort out the bag for the big tripod, get a mini one as you will at some point be thankful for having it (it was extremely useful for me in Egypt as I didn't have any other tripod at all). I know without mine, I'd be at least a hundred photos down (if not a few multiples of that)...

Edit: Just remembered, I do have a photo of the thing - it's just not very good. It's from the ferry when we were coming back from snowboarding, my mate was having a play with it to see how it worked:

http://img145.imageshack.**/img145/9643/200602054cropped7ok.jpg

As I should've said, cheap, tacky, plastic... :)

The one I posted is made out of aluminum, its light, and the rubber feet on the bottom ensure so slippage.

slik makes a nice little stand. ive used it with my DSLR and its solid and stable.

asphotos said:
you beat me too it, ditch the tripod and get the bean bag! you can make one, buy the cheapest bag of rice you can find :p

Are you serious? because I can get a zip lock bag, and then get some rice.... would that really work?

that'll work too! :thumbsup: and even better if you can find a way to attach a mounting screw on that bag for better camera securement.

It'll work, but beware of quarantine/customs if you try to take it overseas. They dont take to kindly to foodstuffs getting brought in from overseas. Best idea would be to try it at home, then when you know what your doing, leave it at home, and make one when your overseas.

Okay here it is. My tripod!!!!

http://img146.imageshack.**/img146/6508/myghettotripod4vr.jpg