[08x01] May 7th, 2006

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
If you've seen it, feel free to discuss it here.

And no talk of download speeds please. ;)

Heh, it was great. Started really well with the Micra review...though I felt it was a bit short. That bit kept me giggling all the way through.

That segued into the convertible Espace...which was great, too. Very funny, and 'at the cutting edge of cocking about'.

Then the news...which just seemed a bit short to me. I know it's prerecorded, but a bit gutted there was no mention of the TVR shakeup, or stuff like that.

Then onto the Civic review. It was the bright colours and futuristic backgrounds that made this for me; filmed in Futuroscope, in France.

Star in Reasonably Priced Car came next...hooray for Alan Davies! Though that new car just ... doesn't have the class of the Liana. :p

The CCX is the one bit that I wasn't so fond of...probably because of the colours. The Micra was bright pink, the Civic filmed on a clear day in France, and this was just...grey, all the way through. Even the car itself was grey. Stig's second go 'round the track though...heh.

And the Espace again. The end bit was hliarious, with James's monkey obsession, and generally the piss-poor design showing through. Poor car wash, though!

hmmmm dont really know wot to think. Why have they got a dog?! Cant see how they are gonna make 'use' of her. The koenigsegg CCX OMG!! :shock: Can't believe the stig smashed it!
Not a bad first episode! The rest looks good too!

Shoot me for saying it, but the studio segments aren't very good. Well, not as good as they used to be. They don't seem relaxed or comfortable, and the dog is pointless.

Other than that, the stuff is the usual goodness. The stig damn nearly killed himself :/ The new car looks pretty fast compared to the Liana, looks like it could be more than a second quicker.

Oh Man! what a Great Episode. A Great start! :thumbsup:
That CCX is Just :shock: !! wow!
i was suprised by the time though, but then again, there was no rear wing to give the down force that the car obviously needed!

-Is the dog going to bite James this season?
-the pink micra part was too short!!
-Espace cabrio was great especially Jezza making fun of James tools or at the end in the car wash (they were really afraid ).
-the civic review was Ok
-The Chevrolet Lacetti and all the guest stars part was great (the unknown who's who guy )
-CCX great review , great noise but as the Jezza said it needs a Rear wing to be at the top! the best nicotine patch you can get on the market today

In brief the first one was great and I sense the others will be as good.

PS: I prefer when Jezza is making fun of the germans , nah it was great to see him talking about us :lol:

The studio really has gotten somewhat bigger hasn't it?! And so too has the audience!

Yep, new presenter was pretty useless and doesn't really add much at all IMO... (Though them having to step over her when talking about the JCB car was funny)

What the Stig did to the Koenigsegggggg (and loved the name getting longer! :) ) - Damn!

Micra bit - hilarious. The location (architecture) for the Civic review was amazing. Only trouble was I found myself looking more at that than the car!
The ending to the self-made convertible in the car wash was predicatable and so that bit was a bit pointless - in fact almost dangerous and I'm surprised they sat in the car in the first place! (One of those things ripped my car's antenna base from the roof, shearing a reasonably strong piece of metal!) However, the rest of the self-made convertible bit was great!

As for star in reasonably priced car - I like the way they started it off (with an open invitation of sorts to put some times back up) though I really don't like the new format of having a one-lap shootout rather than taking the best lap time. Even F1 drivers have trouble with that and Jimmy Carr showed just how much it can ruin their times! We want to see how fast the stars are, not if they can avoid spinning on their one lap...

I was a bit surprised at the old indestructible Toyota Pickup being in the studio - I thought it was in a motoring museum...?

Anyway, fantastic start to the new series - really enjoyed it!

Additional: Oh yeah, and Jeremy's "If you have a car more unreliable than my Ford GT, write in to us as 'I've got a Peugeot...'" :lol:

not much real car test's. thats something that needs to come back, i know some of the daft tasks or stunts appeal to some people but top gear and fifth gear need to get back to their roots on the original top gear. that show was about reviewing cars not 20 minutes of crappy celebs or caravan smashing.
but im still glad it's back on and the show wasnt to bad.
did anyone notice james mays trousers?

talking about the dog , this one is lethargic! :shock:

Great start to the new series. :thumbsup:

Some of the highlights:

The whole Star in a Car thing. "Thats Trevor out there" and you see him careering over the grass. Inspired. :lol:
Koenisegg Off :eek:
The Espace (though I thought the end stunt where it "caught fire" was a little too predictable) JC was absolutely dying of laughter :lol:

Have to say, the montage looked a little thin, so I hope theres a lot to come.

I thought that episode was brilliant :lol:

So damn funny.

BTW did anyone notice the Terminator Theme being played during the stars in the Reasonable Priced car? :lol:

The new Reasonably Priced Car is a Daewoo?!?!?!

A BLOODY DAEWOO!??!?! :puke:

No matter how GM try to polish a turd (whether it's badged as a Chevrolet or a Holden or whatever), it's still a turd.

The rest of the show sounds good though.

I wonder how the new RPC (such as it is) would influence the lap times of new stars, given that it's a different vehicle. It would be unfair to compare one vehicle with the other if one had a significant advantage over the the other one.

(In other words, if I was the celeb, I'd be mighty pissed off if I was sent around the TG track in a :censored: Daewoo!)

tone76 said:
I wonder how the new RPC (such as it is) would influence the lap times of new stars, given that it's a different vehicle. It would be unfair to compare one vehicle with the other if one had a significant advantage over the the other one.

(In other words, if I was the celeb, I'd be mighty pissed off if I was sent around the TG track in a :censored: Daewoo!)

New board, but James did say its approxaimately 1 second faster. I have to say that was my favourite part of the show :thumbsup:

So who IS the "Well Spoken Man" anyway? Actually someone or an extra hired to be the "Unknown Driver"?