Koenigsegg underestimated?

LoneWolf said:
*****SPOILER WARNING (If you haven't seen the new episode yet!)*******

Looks like a few people were right about the tall gears. The new CCX only managed 1:20 something in the debut episode of the new series yesterday. I'm beginning to think more and more that the Veyron will only do slightly better then the CCX.

Time will tell though, it'll be interesting to see if the CCX can come back with that rear spoiler (though didn't they promise to come back last time round as well?).
no they didnt say that the CC8S whould come back ..
and there are a few other thing they need to fix too ..
if you read jeremys Review in the times he makes it clear that it was rushed to the test track..
so they need to fine tune the brakes and the engine management :p

Kebab gud said:
LoneWolf said:
*****SPOILER WARNING (If you haven't seen the new episode yet!)*******

Looks like a few people were right about the tall gears. The new CCX only managed 1:20 something in the debut episode of the new series yesterday. I'm beginning to think more and more that the Veyron will only do slightly better then the CCX.

Time will tell though, it'll be interesting to see if the CCX can come back with that rear spoiler (though didn't they promise to come back last time round as well?).
no they didnt say that the CC8S whould come back ..
and there are a few other thing they need to fix too ..
if you read jeremys Review in the times he makes it clear that it was rushed to the test track..
so they need to fine tune the brakes and the engine management :p

Yeah, it is a shame that they rushed to get it to the TG track, damn Andy Wilman! ;)

Though I find for some reason Mr Koennisegg is very keen to have his car set a fast lap on the TG test track, last time round he was at the track himself (to apply the sticky tape!) and this time round, although I don't know if he was there in person, he surely must've given the OK for the car to be shipped early to Jezza and the crew.

And to think, BOTH times he got beaten by the Zonda's! He must really have it in for Pagani now! :)

I still stnad by what I've said before. This car (any of the variants) is NOT ready for production yet. Sure they've got a pretty good engine (though Im not keen on the sound of it) but the rest of the car is still a bit of a prototype. And IMHO spending ?400K+ on a car that a) doesnt handle and b) has no sporting heritage is ludicrous

"doesnt handle"
Have you driven it?
What meaning of "handling" you have in mind if the CCX's is not enough? :?

RichW said:
I still stnad by what I've said before. This car (any of the variants) is NOT ready for production yet. Sure they've got a pretty good engine (though Im not keen on the sound of it) but the rest of the car is still a bit of a prototype. And IMHO spending ?400K+ on a car that a) doesnt handle and b) has no sporting heritage is ludicrous
This is going to get ugly, quick.

"Doesn't handle" has already been covered by AML before. But "no sporting heritage"? How does that hold a car back from being great? I guess you're not a fan of Pagani then. When did it say that a supercar needs to have years and years of experience to be worthy of consideration? Experience does help, but it's not always necessary to produce a car that's still breathlessly exciting.

RichW said:
a car that a) doesnt handle

is 1:20 not good enough?? you might be disappointed because you expected it to beat the lap record but 1:20 is still bloody quick and its not only thanks to that engine.

Also the TG CCX was not sorted out as much as a production car, and it didn't had the rear spoiler either.

Kebab gud said:
it was in sorts a preproduction modell :p

Just imagine how bad the Ford GT would've been if they initially brought it straight to the track instead of going all the way to Detroit! :lol:

Aston Martin Lagonda said:
Why Koengisegg?
There is stronger rival, I mean Saleen S7 Twin Turbo with I don't remember but it will have around 1000 HP, when this will appear all supercars, even the Veyron will be beaten, I've got no doubt about it.
Any one can think about better car that guys form TG can test?

Why have a Saleen (from America) if you can have a Koenigsegg from Sweden (Europe for the Americans)??

LoneWolf said:
bartboy9891 said:
Koenigsegg doesnt have 7, saleen doesnt have 7. only cars on sale now that have 7 speeds are the M5 and the Veyron, along with MB's with the optional 7speed auto.

I remember watching a program on Discovery channel featuring the Saleen. They said that it did have seven gears, in fact Steve Saleen, the guy who made it, said the car hadn't yet been in seventh gear because they haven't taken it to a long enough test track.

But I don't like it anyway so I guess it don't matter.

I agree with you, its an american car. its fugly, and the interior is bloody poor, and being an american car, i suspect the gearbox is prob kak as well.

anyway, i think the veyron will top the board, cos the stig said that the Koengisegg had the poential to beat the Zonda F, but since there isnt any downforce on the rear end, he couldnt unleash the car's full poential. The bugatti has more power than the Koengisegg, its faster, has more torque, better gear ratios, and better handling thanks to its 4WD and adjustable spoiler at the back, so IMO i think that the Bugatti has a very good chance of cracking the best time on TG's test track.

MadCow809 said:
I agree with you, its an american car. its fugly, and the interior is bloody poor, and being an american car, i suspect the gearbox is prob kak as well.

anyway, i think the veyron will top the board, cos the stig said that the Koengisegg had the poential to beat the Zonda F, but since there isnt any downforce on the rear end, he couldnt unleash the car's full poential. The bugatti has more power than the Koengisegg, its faster, has more torque, better gear ratios, and better handling thanks to its 4WD and adjustable spoiler at the back, so IMO i think that the Bugatti has a very good chance of cracking the best time on TG's test track.

I agree with you that the Veyron will be faster then the CCX, in fact almost certain, however the fastest lap, I'm still 50/50 as to whether or not the Veyron will be able to do it. I just hope there's another car out there that can come on and give the Zonda F a run for it's money, rather then us just relying on the Bugatti to beat it.

even the stig says the CCX will beat the Zonda F with 2 seconds
i still just dont understand why they didnt send a CCX with the optional wing to top gear..
they did know it was going round the track .. they do know it becomes a track car when it has the wing..

its just odd....

Re: Koenigsegg underestimated?

LoneWolf said:
The Top Gear power laps are therefore (for me at least) the ultimate (and only) benchmark for me to tell which supercars are the best in terms of performance.

Are you serious? I don't think it's a good idea to use the power laps as the "ultimate" and "only" authority. For one thing, many times the cars don't have a level playing field, as some cars are blessed with a track that is dry as a bone, and others must go around when it's drenched. When you attempt to set up an "ultimate" benchmark for anything, you want to try to ensure that the conditions/parameters are as close as possible for all competitors. Also it's just one track and one objective. For a true benchmark of performance, you'd want to throw in atleast a few different tests. So while the Top Gear power laps are entertaining and informative, I wouldn't "bet the farm on them", so to speak ;)

Kebab gud said:
even the stig says the CCX will beat the Zonda F with 2 seconds
i still just dont understand why they didnt send a CCX with the optional wing to top gear..
they did know it was going round the track .. they do know it becomes a track car when it has the wing..

its just odd....

from what i understood from the program, the CCX really doesn't have a rear wing as an option. it'll be a whole new thing with the research, wind tunnel tests, etc.. should they actually follow TG's advice about putting a rear wing on.

MadCow809 said:
:wall: Great. I feel stupider after reading that.

BlaRo said:
MadCow809 said:
:wall: Great. I feel stupider after reading that.

Yeah, Blaro.... I think this thread is starting to go down the long and twisted road towards Locksville.

Re: Koenigsegg underestimated?

jeffy777 said:
Are you serious? I don't think it's a good idea to use the power laps as the "ultimate" and "only" authority. For one thing, many times the cars don't have a level playing field, as some cars are blessed with a track that is dry as a bone, and others must go around when it's drenched. When you attempt to set up an "ultimate" benchmark for anything, you want to try to ensure that the conditions/parameters are as close as possible for all competitors. Also it's just one track and one objective. For a true benchmark of performance, you'd want to throw in atleast a few different tests. So while the Top Gear power laps are entertaining and informative, I wouldn't "bet the farm on them", so to speak ;)

Yes you are right on many accounts. However, I'm just pointing out for someone who isn't a mad petrolheadi.e. one who doesn' read car magazines and/or browse super car websites, the TG Power Laps are probably the only benchmark of seeing how supercars perform relative to each other. Of course it's not the ultimate test, but it's mainstream popularity mean a lot more people can see how they fare then compared other, less popular and less well known autotests.

In fact, if it wasn't for TG hardly anyone in the UK would know anything about cars like the Veyron or Koennigseg.

MadCow809 said:

:lmao: All I'm going to say is that they obviously don't get Saleens in South Africa, and that this poor sap hasn't seen one in person.

I have. And he's wrong. Oh, so wrong. :thumbsdown:

BerserkerCatSplat said:
MadCow809 said:

:lmao: All I'm going to say is that they obviously don't get Saleens in South Africa, and that this poor sap hasn't seen one in person.

I have. And he's wrong. Oh, so wrong. :thumbsdown:

you are 100% correct, we dont get saleens in south africa, but i have seen enough pictures of the saleen to know that its fugly, and its not even available in right hand drive position. and forgive me for saying this, but most of the american cars out there are ugly, heavy on fuel, poor car balance, poor chassis and digusting interior design, which is why we dont import any american supercars. only very few brave yanks here import corvettes and dodge vipers at their own cost, but apart from that, i dont recall ever seeing any american supercars available for sale in south africa.

Lonewolf said:
I just hope there's another car out there that can come on and give the Zonda F a run for it's money, rather then us just relying on the Bugatti to beat it.

there are plenty of cars out there that is faster than Zonda F, for example, one of my personal favourite - the Weineck Cobra 780CUI Limited Edition

a high revving 12.9Litre V8 Engine that is capable of producing 1760Nm of torque and 1100bhp, this car will accelerate from 0-200km/h in 4.9 seconds. and it will take 10 seconds to reach to 300km/h.