Sony reveals PlayStation 3 prices

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

MGS4.

Oh.

My.

God.

The trailer is giving me goosebumps. MGS4. That's all that is needed to be said at this point regarding the PS3's superiority. I see no game on any console on the horizon that will compete.

Let's not begin listing all the PS exclusives again, shall we? Xbox fanboys have only one thing to fall back on, and that's Halo (which I think is a load of garbage). The games are the most important thing, and the PS3 has them. If all the games exclusive to the PS were released on the Xbox 360, I'd buy one tommorow. Until that happens, Sony is welcome to have my 6 bones on launch day.

///M said:
Blah, blah, blah, blah.

MGS4.

Oh.

My.

God.

The trailer is giving me goosebumps. MGS4. That's all that is needed to be said at this point regarding the PS3's superiority. I see no game on any console on the horizon that will compete.

Let's not begin listing all the PS exclusives again, shall we? Xbox fanboys have only one thing to fall back on, and that's Halo (which I think is a load of garbage). The games are the most important thing, and the PS3 has them. If all the games exclusive to the PS were released on the Xbox 360, I'd buy one tommorow. Until that happens, Sony is welcome to have my 6 bones on launch day.

You do realize it's pre-rendered. Look at the games that are actually playable at E3, they don't look much better than PS 2.5 games. I think $600 for just a console is ludicrious, regardless of the CG generated game trailers they are putting out for it.

You'll be lucky if you manage to get one before the next E3, because IBM still can't make new chip designs to save their life. We all know Sony has notorious problems with actually shipping consoles, (just look at the PS2 launch and the PSP launch in Europe). They seem to think they can undertake a simultaneous worldwide launch, like Microsoft, but with a chip design that is largely untested, because IBM gets one good chip per wafer at the moment. I don't think Sony can pull it off, and maybe when the PS3 is a reasonable price i'll consider picking one up, because honestly the games coming out for it look no better than the games i'm currently playing on my 360.

Hideo Kojima never does pre-rendered. I'm surprised you even made that claim. The MGS team has never used pre-rendering, not in the cutscenes, not in the trailers, nothing. What you saw was real-time footage rendered on the dev kits. That's easy to spot because there's a little frame-rate stutter in the scene where the bi-pedal robots are chasing Snake.

And graphics aren't everything. That's why I'm looking forward to the Wii the most. I don't know, perhaps the Xbox line is geared towards the PC gamers that care about their 3D Mark scores and what not. Me personally, I could give a fuck. It's all about gameplay, and no Xbox franchise is offering that. It's all about PC ports and FPSs. You can look into all this mumbo-jumbo about chips and all this, I'm just looking at it like this, I loved the PSX, I loved the PS2, and I'll love the PS3. The gameplay comes first, graphics second.

Fanboy + Hypocrite == ///M

All I can say is that I have my money stored away to get one ASAP.

I've been informed by my girlfriend that she is not getting me one for Christmas. She got me a 360 for my birthday and apparently I only get one really expensive console from her a year. :thumbsdown:

flyingfridge said:
Fanboy + Hypocrite == ///M

In what way? If anything, I'm a fanboy of the PS exclusive games rather than the console. I've been a fan of certain series since the SNES and Genesis days, and certain titles on both consoles have continued to be released on the Playstation. If Microsoft came out earlier and secured these franchises, I'd be toting the Xbox horn all the way to EB. For now, there's only Halo, which is a silly game IMO.

remember that the high end PS3 has a Blu Ray DVD player, wifi, a hard drive and wireless controllers. add all that to a 360, and the prices are more comparable.

Sony's pricing is obviously for one reason - they dont want people buying a PS3 instead of their Blu Ray set top box...

sandor_ said:
remember that the high end PS3 has a Blu Ray DVD player, wifi, a hard drive and wireless controllers. add all that to a 360, and the prices are more comparable.

Sony's pricing is obviously for one reason - they dont want people buying a PS3 instead of their Blu Ray set top box...

The 360 premium package has wireless controllers and a hard drive, wifi and the hd-dvd add on for the xbox 360 are optional, so people like me who just use wires, and don't want to pay $30 for a movie, don't have to spend the extra on something we don't want, until we want it. If you buy the $499 PS3 the only way to get a bigger hard drive, wifi, and media card ports and hdmi ports is to spend another $599 and buy a super-PS3, whereas addons from microsoft costing <$150 each will upgrade any level xbox360 to whatever suits the user.

hokiethang said:
sandor_ said:

The 360 premium package has wireless controllers and a hard drive, wifi and the hd-dvd add on for the xbox 360 are optional, so people like me who just use wires, and don't want to pay $30 for a movie, don't have to spend the extra on something we don't want, until we want it. If you buy the $499 PS3 the only way to get a bigger hard drive, wifi, and media card ports and hdmi ports is to spend another $599 and buy a super-PS3, whereas addons from microsoft costing <$150 each will upgrade any level xbox360 to whatever suits the user.

You don't have to spend another $599 for 60gb, wifi, and HDMI, it's just another $100, which is like one day's worth of work.

Koenig said:
hokiethang said:
sandor_ said:

You don't have to spend another $599 for 60gb, wifi, and HDMI, it's just another $100, which is like one day's worth of work.

Actually it's more like 3 hours more work, but still, what if you buy the $499 one now, because you REALLY HAVE TO PLAY MGS BECAUSE OMG ITS THE BEST GAME EVAR!!!11!!! </sarcasm>. So you play MGS and then a game comes out that you need more hard drive or wifi or HDMI (like watching a blu-ray DVD) or a media card reader for, and the store you bought it from won't trade you for the system. How do you get that upgrade? You buy another PS3 at $599, or you don't get HDMI support which means you get a crappy resolution image from your shiny $50 blu-ray dvd. (Read up on ICT, it'll only work over HDMI, as per content provider spec).

The xbox, an HDMI upgrade can be done simply by changing the connector cable, the hard drive snaps right off, and the other stuff connects with USB. A lot easier than spending another $599 to buy another console down the road.

Exact same thing can be said for the crippled X360. What's your point? The only unupgradable aspect is probably the HDMI. As far as I know, the hard drive is removable. The rest, who knows, maybe the PS3 will work with PC USB media card readers or wifi adapters, I don't see why not. At the end of the day, you got ripped off if you got the X360 retard version, and you'll get ripped off if you buy the PS3 retard version.

Janus said:

I've been informed by my girlfriend that she is not getting me one for Christmas. She got me a 360 for my birthday and apparently I only get one really expensive console from her a year. :thumbsdown:

I've got that problem aswell. Mum said I can either have a 360 for my Birthday or a PS3 for Christmas (I went for the latter) not both. But might have to have the 360, depends how quickly I can get a preorder in.

///M said:
Exact same thing can be said for the crippled X360. What's your point? The only unupgradable aspect is probably the HDMI. As far as I know, the hard drive is removable. The rest, who knows, maybe the PS3 will work with PC USB media card readers or wifi adapters, I don't see why not. At the end of the day, you got ripped off if you got the X360 retard version, and you'll get ripped off if you buy the PS3 retard version.

No, because all aspects of the core system can be upgraded to the exact same thing as the premium system, for less than the price of a NEW premium system(~$170). It is more expensive, than buying the premium in the first place, but it's still cheaper than buying a new console all out.

And knowing how sony works, they won't make PC media card readers or wifi adaptors work, because they want your money, and they want you to buy a new console as opposed to giving you a convenient upgrade path. As for the removability of the hard drive, that is yet to be determined, I haven't seen anything that touts that as a feature.

So in conclusion, buying the stripped PS3 is worse than buying the stripped Xbox, because Sony in their infinite stupidity decided to build two versions and charge outrageous prices on both.

Evo7 said:
Janus said:

I've got that problem aswell. Mum said I can either have a 360 for my Birthday or a PS3 for Christmas (I went for the latter) not both. But might have to have the 360, depends how quickly I can get a preorder in.

Go for the PS3 over the 360 trust me. I look at the stuff they have released from E3 of the PS3 compared to the stuff they are showing and I have experienced on the 360 and I am much more excited about stuff coming on the PS3 then anything I have seen with the X-Box.

I look at the movies etc. of 360 and whilst it looks good for a console there still isn't that much that blows me away. On the PS3 I see movies and in game demos of stuff that just looks mind blowing. Plus you will get the best of the Wii (which I'm sure I will buy as well because it is meant to be much cheaper then the others) and the best that X-Box currently has, but it will be far more polished and easy to use....which X-Box Live is not.

Well, the price seems right, when it comes out other BluRay Players will cost the same or even more...
If you got a nice and big TV, love games AND HD movies the PS3 will be perfect...

Buba said:
Well, the price seems right, when it comes out other BluRay Players will cost the same or even more...
If you got a nice and big TV, love games AND HD movies the PS3 will be perfect...

exactly my point.

and personally, i never fancied myself an early adopter. i got a PS1 3 years ago, when it went under $20. and my $5 intellivision is still going strong. and i still have never bought a set top DVD or VHS player. I really pick and choose electronics based on my specific needs, hence the reason i got a closeout 46" samsung DLP for $1400 2 years ago, and i have a computer turned HD-DVR attached to an antenna. My HD will come for free for now, rather than making huge investments into unsettled technology. and gaming? SageTV lets me incorporate MAME right in, and i can loop back to the PC to run anything else....

Sony = Pulled a Sega back in 94 or 95.
Nintendo = Pulled a Sony back in 94/95.
Microsoft = nothing impressive except better graphics than Wii for less money than PS3.

I'll be buying the Wii. It seems to be the only system that really is "Next-Gen" everything else is the same old shit with better graphics.

Janus said:
I look at the movies etc. of 360 and whilst it looks good for a console there still isn't that much that blows me away. On the PS3 I see movies and in game demos of stuff that just looks mind blowing. Plus you will get the best of the Wii (which I'm sure I will buy as well because it is meant to be much cheaper then the others) and the best that X-Box currently has, but it will be far more polished and easy to use....which X-Box Live is not.

I'm going to have to disagree on that. Sony showed almost all CG trailers, with the exception of Warhawk. CG trailers these days don't tell you shit about games. Like the fact that FFXIII will be a game with a bunch of menu's, as they all are. I never understood the draw to the FF series.

The PS3 is slapped together at the last minute to say "look at us." They screwed up and did the same thing Sega did 12 years ago, when they announced a $400 2d system vs Sony's $300 3d system. Sega had to slap together a 3d system that was for the most part shit, even though I love mine.

The motion sensing on the ps3 won't have no where near the capabilities of the Wii, and while it's a nice extra feature, I don't see it being used to the extent the Wii will.

Xbox 360 and PS3 both felt rather tame and boring on comparison to the Wii, even if the Wii is the gayest name. Revolution was better, and very fitting given what it can do.

Cool thing about Wii is we'll finally be able to play those few GC and N64 games we wanted to play but couldn't cause we didn't want to dump money in those systems...atleast I didn't. I've already got emulators for nes/snes/genisis so the other emulation features don't do much for me.

Koenig said:

You do if you bought the $499. Sony didn't leave any upgrade path. If you dont' buy the uber expensive one, than the blu-ray discs will be dropped down to regular DVD quality. That extra-expense for and drive is all of a sudden useless.

Lets not forget, Sony formats don't survive. UMD is being killed off, Mini-disc I don't think is around anymore (I can't find a player anyway), beta-max anyone?

///M said:
Blah, blah, blah, blah.

MGS4.

Ooo! the same old shit as before. MGS4 is about the only game worth playing. Though like all the others, I'll get sick of playing it since i'll move 3 feet on screen and spend 20 minutes watching video I can't skip.

All those "exclusive games" are the same old shit. Tekken 6, I got bored after 3, and never played 1 or 2. Virtua Fighter 5...see Tekken 6, same game, different name. Warhawk, I'll probably play it for about 5 minutes.
Assassin's creed looks good, though I thought it was for xbox.

The only games that are appealing are GTAIV, which is on Xbox 360. Halo does nothing for me.

thedguy said:
You do if you bought the $499. Sony didn't leave any upgrade path. If you dont' buy the uber expensive one, than the blu-ray discs will be dropped down to regular DVD quality. That extra-expense for and drive is all of a sudden useless.

not exactly true, and a bit of chicken little. while it is possible for movie studios (probably not game titles) to limit the analog output from Blu-Ray, the majority of studios have been saying they will not adopt this protection for quite some time, even if it is fully ratified.

regardless, games will not be affected by AACS, and will be in HD over component if the manufacturer decides to do an HD game.

thedguy said:
I'll be buying the Wii. It seems to be the only system that really is "Next-Gen" everything else is the same old shit with better graphics.

Haha, you are the James May of the Console World? ;-)

Videogame Jeremy Clarkson said:
"Have you noticed? Thedguys favourite console from the next generation is also the slowest one... And the only one without HD graphics..."

Personally, I wouldn't wanna waste money on a non HD console, except it costs less then 100 Euros... Its just a pain to look at, IMO...