[08x02] May 14th, 2006

Another brilliant episode!

The comments by some users here are just so depressing. Some people can never be satisfied and always trash the show even though Top Gear did an awesome job. People just expect too much from the show and don't appreciate it for what it is. :x

The Icelandic segment was a bit boring. They've really got to stop going to Iceland.

As to people complaining about the minimal Corvette bashing and Clarkson's bias towards the Jaguar: you've obviously haven't seen enough of Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson.

The radio segment was absolutely hilarious and one of the funniest non-car related segments ever made.

Kebab gud said:
that was the Old stig.. the Black stig..

Oh yeah...I totally forgot about that...my bad.

What was this "home secretary" comment about? I'm assuming it has something to do with them saying "when you buy petrol, the money goes to the government who spend it letting out foreign prisoners so they can stab people."

What's the story here?

~nj?

I was really annoyed by yet another Top Gear race where the vehicle loses. I mean, cars here have lost to planes, trains, Norwegian ferries, bobsleds, skinny guys with ponytails, dogs, some boy on a skateboard, a jogger, a homing pigeon, Gran Turismo 4, a tank, a Spanish guy on a bike, and now a freaking kayak. For a car show that's obsessed with cars, why can't one win for once? :x

Awesome episode again nonetheless. Iceland segment felt too short, though.

Did anyone catch a glimpse of a memo from the list of callers...

"Anonymous female caller:

Get that bloody idiot Jeremy Clarkson off the radio...
He's a load of crap
Then she hung up.

Abby:

Jeremy Clarkson is far too gobby for his own good.

Another anonymous caller:

Would like some common sense and sensability"

:lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Wow, that switched reflections bit between the corvette and ferrari is AWESOME! I especially like how it fades in from no refelection. Thanks for pointing that out, I would've never noticed. The photography on TG is what really sets it apart from just any other TV show. Even the not so good episodes have great photography work.

Episode overall was pretty good. They should have cut down the radio show to about 5 mins (or less) and beefed up the z-06 and jag reviews. The races have become predictable and boring. Hammond crashing into the iceberg couldn't have been more staged. Have to agree that the old XK was better looking than the new one and really who would take a jag over an AM?

Re: top gear

NecroJoe said:
Fun link. :lol:

Corvette review was fun. I don't like the latest design of them (I miss the flip-up lights, the front is quite plain, and the back is chunky...though the Z06 is a bit nicer lookigng overall), but I always look forward to Jeremy's take on them and what areas he'll bash. The sat-nav part was funny! And the lap time was mightily impressive.

Jeremy raves about the looks of the Jag, but I sure wouldn't. It's all right, I suppose, but sort of a slightly blind, poor man's Aston. A little plain. Sounds cool, though. Richard says "you can't beat an Aston badge," but it's not about the badge for me, it's the looks.

Finally, good bye, Liana. Thanks for the memories! :)

BlaRo said:
I mean, cars here have lost to planes, trains, Norwegian ferries...

Didn't the cars (and Jeremy driving them) win those races?

Dr. Blau said:
BlaRo said:
I mean, cars here have lost to planes, trains, Norwegian ferries...

Didn't the cars (and Jeremy driving them) win those races?
You're right. :oops: But it's only because they were powered by Jeremy's ego.

How do people know it's Perry McCarthy (old stig) in that episode? :|

what a great episode :D.
they did really well this episode with the camera shots. nice effects in the Z06 segmant, great footage in the race in iceland, and nice shots in the XK8 review.

Oh about the Z06, at one point I thought he was going to race it through the fire and say something witty. That would've been awesome.

gloomy_DAY said:
Go ahead and buy an expensive F360 and you'll get smoked all day by a ZO6! That is until the "Blue Devil" comes out and begins to eat up Carrera GT's.

Except the Ferrari F360 CS smoked the Z06 around the track. Even though it has about half the displacement.

Now I wonder how fast a F430 CS with some proper tires would be.

The cool thing about Ferraris, is that they are fast racing machines, but still good quality, comfortable cars. Yes, they are more expensive than a Corvette, but the quality is different.

Great ep, there's just one joke I really didn't get... May was speaking about the guy stealing a SLR and the actual joke was about a home secretary :? I really didn't get that but I think it's because I'm not all that good at English. This is around 15:00.

Ripplin said:
NecroJoe said:
Fun link. :lol:

Here's one of my favourite Wiki bits of all time, from that page.

likus said:
Great ep, there's just one joke I really didn't get... May was speaking about the guy stealing a SLR and the actual joke was about a home secretary :? I really didn't get that but I think it's because I'm not all that good at English. This is around 15:00.

Not quite...what happened was that the UK Goverment released about a thousand foreigner prisoners, who were banged up in the UK, including murderers and rapists, as opposed to deporting them. Mass hysteria in the media, and the Home Secretary was sacked from his job, as he knew it was going on and didn't do anything. That's what they're referring to.

Please excuse me for lifting the above passage verbatim from last week's ep. discussion thread.

likus said:
they poked fun at it in the last ep as well. it's all about 1000 or so criminals being accidentally released from jails.

i must say, aside from the z06 review, that the episode was kinda meh.

the z06 was cool. but i tire of the constant american car bashing, simply for the sake of bashing an american car.

the news was fine, up until jeremy talked about the caliber. at first, he raves that the price is quite low, then proceeds to say its its so much smaller than a land rover (a car that is 6x the price) and then ends by saying is rubbish.

the kayak race was ok, not as cool as others. the tomcat seemed really cool.

i skipped through the Gordon Ramsey segement because nearly all the guests are boring, this seemed to be no exception.

the xk segment was ok. scenery was nice, but more excuse making for a british car. if that car is badged as a ford, jermey would rip right into it.

the radio segment on the whole i found not to be funny. not a lot of substance, other than them stumbling everytime they went on air. the cadillac bashing got old as well.

i think the reason that they complain so much about american cars is because they're complaing about things that arent designed for their market. i.e. saying the cadillac suspension was soggy. the reason why its so "soggy" is because its designed to be a comfortable cruiser, not a sports car thats light and nimble. also, remeber how jeremy described the styling of the viper? "austentacious and vulgor". really? it looks a lot better to me than the xk. i think most people would agree with me, but then again the viper was designed for american buyer and xk is designed for british buyers. so there ya go.

but i always tire of the double standards. compare the z06 review to the xk. its unforgivable for the z06 to have a cushy rear bumper, yet its an unfortunate flaw because of the financial troubles.

i doubt this'll be the last time though...

wingnutsc said:
its unforgivable for the z06 to have a cushy rear bumper, yet its an unfortunate flaw because of the financial troubles.
i doubt this'll be the last time though...
I thought it was the standard C6 he did that to at the beginning of the review. I personally think the Viper looks disgusting. The side profiles looks like a clown's shoe. Z06 on the other hand is very good looking.