Top Gear: Thoughts from a random fan.

race-torque

Greetings all,

Just thought I would post some of my random thoughts and feelings about the show.

I?ve been watching it for a number of years and am constantly amazed by the level at which these guys and girls produce television. It clearly raises the bar on any show of its style that has ever been produced, and most likely ever will.

For me, in this world of reality Television and cheap soaps, Top Gear stands out as a creation of a group of people so totally passionate about the product, the show and how it is put together.

I had to post this after watching the Clarkson?s review of the Jaguar XK in the latest episode (8x02).

It was further proof at how this show elevates the mere mechanical things that are cars into something more than just nuts and bolts. Unlike anything else, Top gear is as much about the driving as it is about the cars themselves. It?s about the journey, the experience, and the emotions.

The XK review was a wonderful piece of cinematography. The clean, crisp light showing the car, followed by the dark filters that disguised the sunlight and put a much more sober feeling into the film when ?The Germans? appeared really changed the mood of the clip for the time they were talking about them.

It was the final segment that did it for me though. The helicopter shot of the car climbing the hill, combined with the music and Clarkson?s enthusiasm for the car, was just magic. Stunning, even. Many motion pictures these days cant combine the mix of fantastic camerawork, direction and music that this clip did.

I love this show. The vastly different reviews and styles involved, the humor, the slapstick comedy and the serious bits , even the guests, all add up to make every one a memorable hour of television.

Most of all I love how they aren?t afraid to say what they think, and what they feel. Clarkson?s feelings and thoughts about the Supercars they drove to the Bridge in France last season, for instance. (It?s my favorite story. ?these cars are examples of humans doing what humans do best, pushing limits, pushing boundaries..? etc. Classic Clarkson.)

Any other show would say ?this car has 500hp, goes 200mph and handles like this...? etc.

Top Gear does that, and makes you part of the drive, the experience of being there.

That?s what I like about it.

Keep at it crew.

And thanks to Final Gear for providing the links to download them!

wow... quite a first post

:welcome:

now ur in a company of ppl who share the same view as u!

It really is something special, isn't it?

qumber said:
now ur in a company of ppl who share the same view as u!

Regrettably, not in the company of people who put any stock in reasonable grammar.

C'mon people, this isn't AIM...take your time and do it right - if you know how to, that is.

Took the words right out of my mouth race, I felt that visually the Jag review has been by far the best review through out many years. Really well made.

That IS quite a first post. ;)

I was at the show last week. Off camera, Jeremy mentioned to the audience that they used the same camera for the Jag XK sequence that was used in the BBC's 'Planet Earth' series recently.

From memory, this is basically a new kind of (very expensive) helicopter camera capable of producing much steadier pictures from further away. Someone correct me if I've got that wrong :?

Re: Top Gear: Thoughts from a random fan.

race-torque said:
Any other show would say ?this car has 500hp, goes 200mph and handles like this...? etc.

Reminds me, last night I was reading a review of the new GTI in some free car classified/periodical thing. I put it down after 3 paragraphs cause it wasn't nearly as entertaining as a review from Tom Ford, May, or Clarkson in TG mag.

We live in a great time for petrolheads.

Is this Richard?

G'day Clown ;)

I was at the show last week. Off camera, Jeremy mentioned to the audience that they used the same camera for the Jag XK sequence that was used in the BBC's 'Planet Earth' series recently.

From memory, this is basically a new kind of (very expensive) helicopter camera capable of producing much steadier pictures from further away. Someone correct me if I've got that wrong

Makes Sense. Goddamn it was an awesome piece of cinematography. Like Clarkson driving the CCX.. I want More.. More of this!!

Re: Top Gear: Thoughts from a random fan.

race-torque said:
I had to post this after watching the Clarkson?s review of the Jaguar XK in the latest episode (8x02).

It was the final segment that did it for me though. The helicopter shot of the car climbing the hill, combined with the music and Clarkson?s enthusiasm for the car, was just magic. Stunning, even. Many motion pictures these days cant combine the mix of fantastic camerawork, direction and music that this clip did.
So now, we're back with the Jaguar... And that... is fine by me...
That was really touching.

I'm glad someone pointed this particular segment out, because it really stood out for me as well - I kept watching this test over and over again just for that one moment when it all quiets down after the German cars leave. One of my instant favorites.

:welcome: race-torque - great first post too.

And agreed on the cinematography in the XK review - absolutely blew me away - my wife also said it was one of the most incredible things she'd seen.

I'm glad someone pointed this particular segment out, because it really stood out for me as well - I kept watching this test over and over again just for that one moment when it all quiets down after the German cars leave. One of my instant favorites.

Yes! My thoughts exactly. Such a cool piece of film when they go back to the Jag blasting through the countryside. And what countryside!

I'll say it again - it all just works.... The dark filters and dramatic music when the other cars arrive and then depart. It's just too cool in the way it sets the mood and the tone of the show. Not many televion programs in the veign of Top Gear use lighting and Music to set the tone, but they do it so well.

Bring on 8 x 03!

I?m a member on a lot of different enthusiast motoring sites, and whenever a new Top Gear is released, I am instantly downloading and seeding it when I can. Being in Canada and all, I can?t watch it on the ?telly?.

But there are an awful lot of people who don?t really appreciate Top Gear for what it is. Where else do we get to see supercars spin around in clouds of smoke, compact cars play soccer and hockey, a bobsled race a rally car, and a Veyron race a plane? The shows offered up by American and Canadian television pale in comparison; a could of shots of the car driving up and down a hill, stats and specs, and lots of attention paid to the interior.

The Jag sequence was a perfect example. I am a BIG movie fan. I like to watch movies on big screens, in the dark, with full surround to immerse you into the movie. And the Jag review did exactly that - there was a few times I could have sworn I was watching a new James Bond flick on some of those camera angles when the music swelled... awesome. race-torque said it quite well - it "puts" you into the experience.

You know why I like Top Gear just the way it is? Because it has just enough non-car stuff that I can watch it with the whole family. My wife isn?t bothered by pages of boring specs, the kid loves watching all the smoke, and I just plain love the show no matter what.

Who cares if it?s scripted. Who cares if their opinion ticks off a lot of Americans (who put the Z06 on a pedestal, and got really mad at Clarkson berating both it and the regular C6).

It?s great fun.

It was beautiful but I did not find it that special.Top gear's cinematography has always been on a different plane of quality from all other shows and even a LOT of action movies. Whoever this guy is, he sure knows his work which is an absolute pleasure to watch.

Yeah, the cinematography is more movielike then normal weeklybased TV-showlike. Like on the first episode of this year, Jeremy is driving Koenigsegg CCX. Rob Zombie's (one of my favourite artists) Reload is playing, nice little slowmotion-pictures and suddenly (in sync with the song though) 1 meter tall flame out of the pipe. Is that cool or what?

Another great picture is from the Aston vs. train-race. Those sunset-takes were sensational. And another great Aston Martin-picture is from some earlier episodes where Jeremy is driving DB7. He's basicly bashing it but when he's parking it next to a house and walking that pavement and saying something like "Going to a restaurant with your wife, you can say "Shall we take the Aston?" Shall we take the Aston..." you notice that he really, really love that car.

What comes to the reviews of a cars, they ain't so easy. You need to watch about 5 episodes to notice what's really bashing a car and what's just bashing because of fun of bashing.

Philip J kruman - Top gear is a fantastic format which has been very successful over the past few years but I think the format needs to be changed as they are rapidly running out of ideas.
The last programme with the bikes was in some places cringe-worthy, especially where Clarkson was trying to ride the moped even though he has ridden more powerful bikes and has been seen on a bike in his local area.
Although I understand him doing it for the camera to add a bit of fun to the programme, it is in danger of turning into a cartoon strip series.
Generally the programme is great to watch, especially the earlier episodes but I think they need to change the format and freshen it up a bit. This ma have to happen if reports are true that the BBC is slashing the budget for this season.

Nice bump.

Top Gear isn't supposed to be very serious - in a certain view, it is kind of a cartoon where three blokes keep falling off. And it's obvious Jeremy learnt to ride bikes before he went to Vietnam, the whole point was some humour. If you watch TG and say "Hey, that's not right..." then it isn't for you.

Was that post really worth the almost three year bump ? :?

But since the bump was made, I can say that I share the guys feelings for the Xk review. My favourite bit of it is the engine noise, its just a lovely, moist sounding rumble, go and watch it now and you'll know what I mean. One of the few engines that sound really great when they are not redlined :)