[08x03] May 21th, 2006

Like some of the people here I am just a bit worried about how TG has gone from a car show based on entertainment to an entertainment show based on cars. It's a shame that nowdays I look forward to FG more than TG. Probably because I am getting more into cars. But TG still rocks when it comes to sheer entertainment.

kekekeke said:
Like some of the people here I am just a bit worried about how TG has gone from a car show based on entertainment to an entertainment show based on cars. It's a shame that nowdays I look forward to FG more than TG. Probably because I am getting more into cars. But TG still rocks when it comes to sheer entertainment.
I'm sure it's like that just because there really isn't any new cars at the moment.

I liked the episode even though it only had the Exige segment as far as reviews etc.

I think the viewing figures would be alot less if it was purely a car show. No other car show is capable of getting this blend of entertainment and cars, others have tried but failed. Anyway, don't we all need something to laugh at in this world of misery and being petty.

Back on topic, that show was bloody brilliant. I actually think microwaving your pants is a really good idea if you don't have a dryer cos' they'd be nice and warm afterwards :lol: Just as long as they are clean though :p

Also I thought James' car/boat was a bit romantic.

*displays new avatar with pride*

Heh, that was a great show. Wish I caught it on the TV as opposed to from BBC Media, but oh well.

Methinks if the Hilux had been given the same attention the old one was from the guy with a spanner it would've started fine.

Heh, sinking ships is still making me giggle.

qube said:
otispunkmeyer said:
psychoticsniper said:
I dont understand the comparo between the mustang GT and the exige S when the lotus literally cause double what the GT cost and then some.

not in this country it doesnt. the stang is more expensive here

The Lotus is more expensive than the Ford Mustang in the UK for sure.

Didn't see the point of racing a stripped out track car on semi-slicks against a fully loaded GT that seats 4 people (can actually get in and out of a Mustang without becoming a contortionist), and even then the gap wasn't that big! For the price difference you could have added a supercharger and other mods to the Mustang and it would have won for sure.

Love JC's double standards; he says the Corvette is rubbish on the road because the ride is too firm but the Lotus is fine? Having been a passenger in an Exige (the car is too small for me to fit behind the wheel) I submit that there isn't another road car in existence that has a firmer ride than the Exige, it's a total back breaker.

i would of thought it would be about the same ?30 k ish? nevermind

ive driven an exige on a track and even there its like a jack hammer to the spine.

i think the point of it was basically the british way to build a sports car and the american way to build a sports car. and obviously the point was to prove british > America at sports cars.

(vette doesnt count as a sports car.....its a super sports, jus incase anyone wants to say the vette is a good american sports car.....which it is, but it doesnt apply here)

Mally Dangerous said:
Saw it, enjoyed it!

I never thought of Top Gear as strictly a review show so I guess that's why I'm not complaining. I just look at it as an all around car show.

And, oh wow, they had Dead Prez Hip-Hop on the soundtrack this week, I'm digging that.

ive watched since the new top gear started (ie series 1 ep 1) and its definately stayed the same for the most part, but gradually getting more things like the challenges and the races etc.... to be fair if they didnt do that it would of got boring

in the 1st series they have a guy called jason instead of may, and hes like this super car dealer guy who would give info on wicked deals (new and used) for cars, it was actually quite informative and very useful, but they got rid of him

i loved the show, the amphibious part was hilarious, one question tho, when jeremy is asking that girl about the jaguar, he's holding the picture of the honda civic, but i didn't see that go on the cool wall? have i missed something ?

http://img210.imageshack.**/img210/7813/civiccoolwall5ny.jpg

Werner said:
i loved the show, the amphibious part was hilarious, one question tho, when jeremy is asking that girl about the jaguar, he's holding the picture of the honda civic, but i didn't see that go on the cool wall? have i missed something ?

http://img210.imageshack.**/img210/7813/civiccoolwall5ny.jpg

i dont know, i was under the impression that they jus pick n choose which cars they would like to do at the time

definately was a great show, best thing on tv right now, closely followed by fifth gear which has gotten exponentially better. vicki is hot, tiff is a driving god, jason is cool, the dude with the curly hair is funny, and the other guy presents some really interesting experiements/full size/real time crash testing.

together TG and FG pretty much destroy anything else on tv.

Werner said:

They always appear to have a bigger pile of cards between the two of them than they actually use on the show. Either they don't show some due to time constraints, or they just don't bother with a couple.

Looking at the timings, the boat item took up more than half of the episode. It was truly an epic of Top Gear. But I don't think this should be taken as evidence of a drop in car content. It was anomalous in its focus.

teeb said:
*displays new avatar with pride*

I saw the current issue of Gay Times on a shelf in a shop last night and just had to pick it up and flick through because of the Top Gear connection.

My insecure side hopes nobody saw me.

Wow, Top Gear just keeps getting better. For all you whiners, go back to watching boring FG and stop whinging. The FG presenters put me to sleep and those of you who think Viki is hot really need to go out more.

0me said:
Wow, Top Gear just keeps getting better. For all you whiners, go back to watching boring FG and stop whinging. The FG presenters put me to sleep and those of you who think Viki is hot really need to go out more.

I'll agree with you partially bar the Vicki thing because she sir is fineeee. 8)

Beni said:
I wish they would do less of the airport reviews and more on real roads. Especially with the supercars.

Besides that, the boat bit was great fun :lol:

With all the speed cameras out there, they'd need to permanantly move the show to the Isle of Man. Which at first blush wouldn't be so bad, except that the Star in the RPC segments would take up most of the show!

0me said:
To some people it's boring, to some people it's more informative. FG is doing really well this season.

I thought the show was great. Very funny, and I for one love the "challenges"... I'm always interested to see what cars and ideas each presenter has.

Fifth Gear has definately come on in the last few years, but it still not nearly as entertaining as Top Gear.

When the Hamster started sinking I was lying on the floor, gasping for air. As far as I'm conderned, this was the funniest bit of Top Gear _ever_ :)

For some people here it's Fifth gear = boring, Top gear = not enough car reviews.
What does it take to please you people?! Can't you watch your national shows? Oh, let me guess, those suck too?
I, for one, loved this episode!
The exige review was fantastic! And the rest?
It was state of the art cocking about :lol: !!

Best of the series so far in my opinion.
The fun part (boats and news) was simply hilarious
and the serious part (the Exige S review) was just wonderful. The cinematography was brilliant, the car is great.
I think the point of the comparison is that a small car, with less power, could be as fast. They never said it was a BETTER car!
Oh, and to all the people that complained about the double standards (bashing the Z06 stiffness) I would say that you expect the Exige to be like this, but not the Corvette.