ALFA ROMEO COMING BACK TO USA!!!1!11omg!!12!1one!1!`1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume the Kamal is dead. I haven't heard a thing about it since 03, and three years without any related show cars usually means it was just a styling concept test to start with. I also think Alfas have a reputation as sporty Italian cars and I don't think they would start off in America with a vehicle that doesn't really meet that expectation.

If they do well enough though, I bet we will see something like either the Kamal of Maserati Kubang eventually.

What about the 8c?
First I heard it definitely was being made, then it wasn't, then the 8C Spider was definitely being made, then the original 8C was mentioned again. Anybody know something I don't?

geoff_a_pult said:
I assume the Kamal is dead. I haven't heard a thing about it since 03, and three years without any related show cars usually means it was just a styling concept test to start with. I also think Alfas have a reputation as sporty Italian cars and I don't think they would start off in America with a vehicle that doesn't really meet that expectation.

If they do well enough though, I bet we will see something like either the Kamal of Maserati Kubang eventually.

What about the 8c?
First I heard it definitely was being made, then it wasn't, then the 8C Spider was definitely being made, then the original 8C was mentioned again. Anybody know something I don't?
There are still rumors of the SUV, actually probably a CUV (a smaller cross-over utility vehicle)

considering the fact maserati/ferrari dealships will be the only ones selling these cars and these cars are well let down by build quality, i wonder if people will be forced to pay ferrari/maserati money to fix these things.

This thread is everything that is wrong with America. Any comment about America is taken as anti-american and you have a dozen insecure Americans replying with an argument based on BREAKING the law and expect to be taken seriously. Grow a skin.

kekekeke said:
Any comment about America is taken as anti-american.

Then we sue you and your dog for the comment. :lol: I agree kekekeke, some of my fellow americans make me ashamed to say I'm from here, and even more motivated to move to Europe.

kekekeke said:
This thread is everything that is wrong with America. Any comment about America is taken as anti-american and you have a dozen insecure Americans replying with an argument based on BREAKING the law and expect to be taken seriously. Grow a skin.

I have reread the thread now, and I honestly don't know what you are talking about. The way I see it, some statements were made about driving habits in the States which we believed to be incorrect, so we posted examples to say what we have experienced. I do not see these examples, nor the language they used, to be hostile in any way. We were merely giving you information, the same way I expect to be told about German motoring habits when I am in a discussion about them and don't have very much experience.

It only turned a bit hostile when Un-Dee came back with "WHAT THE HECK IS YOUR PROBLEM?"

I think it happened because we don't like being seen as random caracatures of fat domaneering people (as we are generally presented in Top Gear), and so when presented with a generalization about America, we like to explain why it is that we hold that view. We were not arguing for speeding or any such thing. In fact we made no arguments at all, we only made comments about what we observe happening. And all of it was sparked by us trying to explain how our motoring habits would play into our desires for Alfa Romeo's design when they come to the US.

We weren't trying to flame anyone, or trying to be hostile at all. All we were doing was explaining. It just so happens that some of our ancestors learned how to explain with a six shooter back in the Wild West, and that may make our style a bit different.

In conclusion- When a post about America provokes a giant amount of responses, please consider whether it has turned into a flame thread, or whether it is just a bunch of enthusiastic counter-examples.

If you analyze the progression of the thread differenly then I do, I would like to see what you think, because I think this whole thread has been pretty logic based (logic being separate from law abiding).

Edit: Also, there are many things wrong with America completely independent of this thread. Example: Insecure borders and an immigratin policy that is a complete failure. Nothing to do with our inability to take criticism. Everything to do with the conflict between our past as a "melting pot" of cultures and our new desire for security in a post-911 world.

lol your guys immigration policy is weird. us brits would stand a better chance getting into your country by going to mexico and smuggling in. But its nothing compared to our crap system, our borders are open to everyone, including terrorists, murders and rapists. :shock:

I find that Alfas are very nice looking desirable cars but theyre atrocious reliability is theyre achilles heel. The germans arent too high on the JD power rankings (even though I dont rate surveys like these) so the alfas will have a very hard time indeed.

well since my thread got PWN3D, here is my reply:
kekekeke said:
I've said this much before, but it's not really that we're insecure or offended, it's that you look stupid when you make such ignorant comments, probably in the same way you think we look stupid when someone makes a blanket statement about europe when they don't really know WTF they are talking about.

Jeremy Clarkson is funny when he makes fun of America, because he's indeed very American. In behavior, taste, and many other ways. It's almost self depricating humor in a round about way. However I see a lot of people jump on the, "OMFG AMERICA SUX0rZZZ!!!!!" bandwagon, when they don't know WTF they are talking about. So when people make stupid arrogant and ignorant comments about America, expect them to be corrected. Just as if an American made a stupid ignorant comment about europe he could expect to catch shit from all the europeans here.

same shit, different day.

I can't for the life of me understand how a person could be ashamed of thier country of origin :? Just because a person loves America doesn't mean they agree with the Bush administration, it's politics. republicans, whatever, that has nothing to do with it at all. The country and it's government are not the same thing. Look at Top Gear for instance, I'm sure they all love England, but are constantly taking jabs at thier own government and fellow citizens. Even people who flee to refugee camps from oppressive and tyrannical governments usually love thier country.

I think there are a lot of Americans, in particular prententious youths, who jump on the "grass is greener" bandwagon and bitch about how lame America is or whatever. Sort of like a spoiled brat child talking shit about thier parents in a way. I think a lot of them want to feel above everyone else and thus try and find a way to look down upon the general population, like those douchebags who automatically hate anything popular.

If you really like europe so much, move there. There's nothing wrong with it. I'm moving to Japan in a couple years, so what of it? Who said you can't get out and enjoy the rest of the world? One thing I see however, is that 90% of these people who run around saying, "Americans are stupid, I'm moving to europe" never do. They just sit and bitch and never try to change anything, be it in thier own lives or in thier own country. I've never really understood this. If you are unhappy with your situation, change it. It's really that simple. Just find what works for you and stick with it, it's a lot healthier than bitching about your situation and not doing anything.

FYI I wasn't trying to start a flame thread, I was simply trying to make a place where we can put these off topic posts so that every thread that has something american in it doesn't go way off topic, since the mods seem to only lock duplicate posts and nothing else.

zenkidori said:
I can't for the life of me understand how a person could be ashamed of thier country of origin :? Just because a person loves America doesn't mean they agree with the Bush administration, it's politics. republicans, whatever, that has nothing to do with it at all. The country and it's government are not the same thing. Look at Top Gear for instance, I'm sure they all love England, but are constantly taking jabs at thier own government and fellow citizens. Even people who flee to refugee camps from oppressive and tyrannical governments usually love thier country.

I think there are a lot of Americans, in particular prententious youths, who jump on the "grass is greener" bandwagon and bitch about how lame America is or whatever. Sort of like a spoiled brat child talking shit about thier parents in a way. I think a lot of them want to feel above everyone else and thus try and find a way to look down upon the general population, like those douchebags who automatically hate anything popular.

If you really like europe so much, move there. There's nothing wrong with it. I'm moving to Japan in a couple years, so what of it? Who said you can't get out and enjoy the rest of the world? One thing I see however, is that 90% of these people who run around saying, "Americans are stupid, I'm moving to europe" never do. They just sit and bitch and never try to change anything, be it in thier own lives or in thier own country. I've never really understood this. If you are unhappy with your situation, change it. It's really that simple. Just find what works for you and stick with it, it's a lot healthier than bitching about your situation and not doing anything.

Thinking that America sucks and that Europe is much better is not a reason to move to Europe. Many people feel that way, but also naturally love their home country. That is what causes such bitching. It is their way of pointing out to others what they would like to change about America. As you said in your first paragraph, there is nothing wrong with hating different parts of the country and culture.
They aren't simply doing nothing. They are choosing to make a difference in a way that you find annoying. There's nothign wrong with that.

Also, when you make a new thread with a post like this that steps up the level of hostility all around, and no-one responds, it is probably because we don't want to become involved in the invevitable flame war. Why would moving it back here make that any different? All it does in increase the chances of that flame war breaking out.

nobody responded because it was locked. I (among others) was just simply fed up with every thread going seriously off topic, the mods not doing shit and the board becoming lame. A lot of the older members don't post here anymore, I wonder why?

It's really irritating to open a thread in the hopes of joining a discussion about top gear or cars or something, only to see a huge bickerfest with no end in sight.

Bitching doesn't change anything, at all, ever. Especially when it's off topic bitching on an internet forum. I could see if you were making your complaints to someone who mattered, your congressman, a media outlet, what have you, but going into a thread about cars and then acting like your too good for where you live doesn't change shit, it just makes the thread and forum as a whole less enjoyable.

If someone says they hate America, love europe and want to move there, that isn't reason to move to europe? I don't get that. Seriously, why not? Just get off your ass and do something, then you don't need to bitch, because you'll have removed that part f your life you don't agree with.

I also stand by my comment about the bandwagon jumpers and shit talkers. Keep in mind the average age of a poster on here is like 13, so they aren't all that well informed. It's just youth rebellion and an attempt to find a place amongst a group of peers.

My poor thread... :cry:

Can we please talk about Alfa Romeos now? Is there even anything left to say?

BlaRo said:
Can we please talk about Alfa Romeos now? Is there even anything left to say?
there hasn't been for a while.

I wish the mods would move, slip, lock, delete or whatever off topic stuff like this, but there isn't much of a point now.

Instead of complaining about the mods, why not be proactive and PM a mod or go to the Report Posts thread in the Forum section of the forum?

Its bloody hard keeping track of everything in this board, hell I didn't even know this thread got a case of the ol' OT syndrome.

Anyway, I don't see much point in this thread so I'll kill it but in future, feel free to contact us mods and let us know. We'll try our best to keep up with the pace of OT discussion.

:lock:

Status
Not open for further replies.