[09x07] May 22nd, 2006

Thanks... wondering where Vuk's rip is... even though he missed the initial airing it should be up by now for the second airing.

A note about dansus's release - Its massive quality, but hes stuck it in 4:3 instead of 16:9, but thats not a problem if your using a media player that can adjust the scale and such... im using Media Player Classic, and its fine.

Released. :)

Just watched it. It's not bad, the Skoda vs GTi in reverse is kinda pointless, who cares how a car handles backward? I think the GTi would've won if it's a normal shootout. FG's shoot out ideas are really bad sometimes. Th spy photograhpy is alright, and so is the Gumball coverage. The FCX test drive is pretty cool, but that car's been out a while, so not much new info there. The Z06 review is good tho, good handling and it's not too harsh on most roads. And that last drift is :thumbsup: .

The GTi DID win. He said so and that it was by over a second, hence the reverse race for fun. ;)

And Tiff is so fucking awesome. :lol:

How come it's in 350 megs again?

Because it's Fifth Gear and only 45 minutes of video. Top Gear is 15 minutes more video, hence the extra size. ;)

So Fifth Gear has always been higher quality than Top Gear since it's shorter but used to be just as big?

I'm working on a chemical engineering degree....and all I can tell you is: holy shit that hydrogen car is amazing. I'm very, very surprised they let a film crew into that place - some of the technology there is WAY beyond anything we have in academia. Electrolysis on that scale and with such practicality is unheard of in any university...not to mention actually HOW they break the H2 bond so quickly and efficiently. Notice just how deep that tunnel was!

Have an appreciation for that ugly, blue car! :thumbsup:

Go Fifth Gear for getting that access (again?) :shock:

Fifth gear is getin it right

Fifth gear is getin it right

:thumbsup: THis episode kicks ass compared to Top gear...I used to be a die hard top gear fan...but this season of top gear is pretty messed up...c`mon these shows are supposed to be about cars not sitcoms! I really hope that top gear will get there act together and start some serious car stuff.
Fifthe gear is excellent-really good info about current cars,super cars,future cars...wht elese can u ask for.

Shawn_230 said:
So Fifth Gear has always been higher quality than Top Gear since it's shorter but used to be just as big?
Yes. Take the filesize and divide it by the number of minutes of video and you'll have your answer. ;)

Clarkson said that the Z06 was only for track use. After watching 5th Gear's review I think he was wrong....

hmmm ..
as for ppl who say they now prefer Fifth Gear over Top Gear and want Top Gear to "return to doing more car-related stuff" .. I dunno, I've always watched Top Gear as an entertainment show, like e.g. Brainiac, mostly because I'm not _that_ much into cars, really. I mean I do want to buy a Saab 9-3 right now because it's so nice, but that's about it for my fascination with cars (except for watching Rallyeing on the TV, I like that) ... So I don't have any problem with the current Top Gear-format, as long as it manages to make me laugh like hell. Which it does. What's not to like?

So about this Fifth Gear episode: The more I watch of Fifth Gear (started out as a Top Gear break-filler for me), the more I hate Vicki for the way she moves and speaks, and the same goes for Tiff. I mean sure, he might be a hell of a driver, but I just can't stand how he talks and moves .. Jason is OK as well as Tom .. I find the Bentley-guy the funniest, really.

Good ep - though I spent the whole show waiting for Tiff & the Z06. Jason's Eos review was very soft, and the spy photography was amusing for the over-zealous-wish-I-was-a-copper security - it was great seeing the photographer give them some attitude.

Tom, as ever, did a great job - really enjoyed his story. But I'm afraid the sound of an electric motor just doesn't, and never will, do it for me the way good old internal combusion does.

Now, Tiff, the Z06, and all that tyre tread laid so gloriously across Paul Ricard. Mmmm yes, I've wanted a Z06 for a while now, JC couldn't put me off, and Tiff has just confirmed it - not only do I want one, I need one.

Viper007Bond said:
And Tiff is so fucking awesome. :lol:

Indeed.

I really am starting to see double .... Fifth Gear really is starting to feel and look like a low production version of Top Gear. Crazy stories, filming the animals as you drive around, being a bit irreverant with others, doesnt it all just feel a little "... I've seen this somewhere else before, but I just cant put my finger on it ...."

Fifth Gear really should be all about performance and how good a car is on the track, esp considering they claim 3 racing drivers in their team, but their car reviews are always soft.

I was hoping for a more indepth look at the eos and the Z06. Yes we know it has a nice folding roof, but show us more of the car and how much space it has or something other than the side of the road reflecting off the back of the car! Z06, makes lots of smoke with tiff driving, but not even driving in UK, so who knows how good a drive it is on typical roads, noting that Paul Ricard is one of the smoothest race tracks in the world, certainly would make a good driftcar but :D

Me likes the crazy Japanese, always thinking one step ahead, pity they still hunt whales for 'scientific' rather than gastronomical research .... Power to the Fuel Cell car, but I think its a little while before we all have home Electrolysis to power our silent cars ... How long b4 the safety nazis decide we need to add sounds to these cars so they dont hit someone becuase they didnt hear the car coming?

Was a good 5th Gear episode, like a steak but lacking the superb sauce that you get with a good TG episode in my stomuch, i mean book .... :D

MacGillaZ said:
Fifth Gear really should be all about performance and how good a car is on the track, esp considering they claim 3 racing drivers in their team, but their car reviews are always soft.

Was a good 5th Gear episode, like a steak but lacking the superb sauce that you get with a good TG episode in my stomuch, i mean book .... :D

I wouldn't call Tiff sliding around a track like he was in the Z06 "soft".

And people should really stop saying things like "Top Gear has more, Top Gear has this that and the other". It's like staying in a nice local hotel and staying in the Hilton. Similar characteristics, they have the same kind of thing, but at the end of the day one is much more expensive and bigger than the other. You can still equally enjoy them both though. Fifth Gear will obviously copy some of the things in Top Gear because it is so bloody good at times, but, at the end of the day, they are completely different shows. I'm sure Top Gear watch Fifth Gear with interest too and copy certain aspects of it.