Burj Dubai/Al Burj

I read that Bahrain might get the tallest tower:

LINK

MANAMA: Bahrain could become home of the world's tallest skyscraper if a project by Danish company Henning Larsens Tegnestue A/S gets the go-ahead. Company project director Louis Becker, who was in Riyadh yesterday, is planning to have a meeting about the proposed project with a building contractor in Bahrain later this week. The company's design for a skyscraper measures 1,022 metres - double the Taiwan Taipei 101, which is currently the world's tallest building at 506 metres.

It was chosen by the Bahrain contractor because of the company's previous experiences of building in Saudi Arabia, according to a report in the Copenhagen Post.

The company designed both the Foreign Affairs Ministry in 1984 and the Royal Danish Embassy in 1987, in Riyadh.

The project is awaiting approval from His Majesty King Hamad and is expected to be formally announced on May 7, said the report. Mr Becker has reportedly been working on plans for the project for a year.

The project, which would take about seven-and-a-half years to build, would comprise five towers - modelled after the five pillars of Islam. The tallest would reach 1,022m, have 200 storeys and house 30,000 people.

The second tallest would measure 600m.

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
LOL! You Euros do some things well, but your skylines are. :(

And I was just about to mention how lucky we are that our cities don't consist of those new/3rd world phallus symbols. :p

/Not a fan of Skyscrapers.

That's La Defense in Paris, is it just what the name suggests? A place for Police personnel? Or are they condos, or what? :)

Dubai is awsome, it's the hottest (hehe kinda literally too) place for architecture, I want to go there someday

I used to live in Dubai for 8 years. I was there when they were building the Burg Al Arab (the big offshore, 7-star hotel) and it was amazing. I used to go past it every day on my way to school and it was amazing seeing it being built. And in those days, Dubai was termed a 'mushroom field' due to the amount of contruction projects and the speed with which stuff was being built. I now speak to friends who are still there and find out that things have gotten much more hectic in terms of building and it just sounds amazing.

So I can say, anyone who doubts the finish dates can probably stop doubting. They build fast there, but the buildings are not designed to last a hundred years. However, there is no shortage of labour at all and for that reason the buildings there really can shoot up!

I'm following these projects just because I still read about stuff in Dubai - after all I really saw it grow (I used to go to school on sand tracks so saw it develop from nothing into the Metropolis of sorts it is now) and so it's interesting to see the new developments.

However, one of the reasons I'm not dying to move back is because I'm not a fan of skyscrapers at all (like others here) and so would not be happy with skyscrapers all around.

Also, when I lived there, we lived 10 minutes walk from a public beach and it was safe to go there day or night. Now, there is no such thing as a public beach - the only section of public beach you have to pay to enter...

(oh yeah, it's too hot for me there too - never really got on with the heat at all...)

monkeymax said:
I used to live in Dubai for 8 years. I was there when they were building the Burg Al Arab (the big offshore, 7-star hotel) and it was amazing. I used to go past it every day on my way to school and it was amazing seeing it being built. And in those days, Dubai was termed a 'mushroom field' due to the amount of contruction projects and the speed with which stuff was being built. I now speak to friends who are still there and find out that things have gotten much more hectic in terms of building and it just sounds amazing.

So I can say, anyone who doubts the finish dates can probably stop doubting. They build fast there, but the buildings are not designed to last a hundred years. However, there is no shortage of labour at all and for that reason the buildings there really can shoot up!

I'm following these projects just because I still read about stuff in Dubai - after all I really saw it grow (I used to go to school on sand tracks so saw it develop from nothing into the Metropolis of sorts it is now) and so it's interesting to see the new developments.

However, one of the reasons I'm not dying to move back is because I'm not a fan of skyscrapers at all (like others here) and so would not be happy with skyscrapers all around.

Also, when I lived there, we lived 10 minutes walk from a public beach and it was safe to go there day or night. Now, there is no such thing as a public beach - the only section of public beach you have to pay to enter...

(oh yeah, it's too hot for me there too - never really got on with the heat at all...)

Bahrain is slowly getting like that as well, the skyscrapers part that is.

But I still like living here. :)

What kind of taxes do residents there have to pay?

yup... residents do not pay tax in Dubai... and btw UKD, I just spoke to my dad about the tall burj building thing, apparently he lost the bidding to an American company called Palmersteel :(, but the funny thing is it happened about 10months ago and I just found out :lol:.

Good, I was just checking to see if that was correct...being Canadian I'm conditioned to paying taxes for almost anything.

So I guess the same goes for Bahrain as well?

CanadianLoonie said:
Good, I was just checking to see if that was correct...being Canadian I'm conditioned to paying taxes for almost anything.

No taxes
Govt. subsidies
Low tax on imported goods (we import ALOT)
Fuel is cheap too :p

TechZ said:
CanadianLoonie said:

No taxes
Govt. subsidies

/me pours live minnows down TechZ's panties :p

mgkdk said:
TechZ said:
CanadianLoonie said:

No taxes
Govt. subsidies

/me pours live minnows down TechZ's panties :p

:mrgreen:

Also, clean air, clean water, cheap energy, pretty much no speed laws, the some we have arent enforced properly..VERY few speed cameras, the list goes on :D

The design isnt that bad. but i doubt they'll reach the expected heights. as long as CN tower is still the tallest freestanding structure in the world im happy :D:D

Dubai is A CRAZYY place.. have u guys heard about the only 7 star hotel in the world which is located in Dubai or the fully artificial ski thing :mad: cant remember wat thyre called... where people can ski and snow board.. u get the point..

mojo_786 said:
The design isnt that bad. but i doubt they'll reach the expected heights. as long as CN tower is still the tallest freestanding structure in the world im happy :D:D

Dubai is A CRAZYY place.. have u guys heard about the only 7 star hotel in the world which is located in Dubai or the fully artificial ski thing :mad: cant remember wat thyre called... where people can ski and snow board.. u get the point..

when the burj is built... it will be 300m taller than the CN tower

"when the burj is built... it will be 300m taller than the CN tower"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

mojo_786 said:
"when the burj is built... it will be 300m taller than the CN tower"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Maple Leafs fan?