*New Question*

Dark_Templer_102

Car(s)
Subaru Legacy GT
New Question: Someone did a special "game" connector to a receiver system. We have a projector screen but all the equipment is in a room far back, we have a speical IR controller that goes through the walls into that back room. The small input for the usual X-box, PS2, Gamecube inputs is off to the side of projection screen meant for YWR, but i'm pretty sure the wires are same wires for all the connection. Thus wouldn't i be able to run Component stuff on it too?

AVR507_1.JPG

this is exactly what the back of the be receiver looks like, one of the various wires are conected to the YBW thing, couldn't i switch it over to the GBR part?

If its too confusing...i'll take pictures..

Re: Output video on a videocard

Dark_Templer_102 said:
Well i basically have 2 choices, but i don't know which one gives me better video quality. An output of composite video (the red, blue and green thing or (this flat screen in the basement has a analog input) or useing the DVI line (the back of the video card) into analog (old school typed input on most computer monitors).

Also, if i used the composite one, i'll be useing this round S-video type on the side (differnt video card but same thing)
nvidia_gefotce_7800GTX.jpg

Will the video card suppot another outputting to say...a small computer monitor? (have one plug on the far left and another one on the the DVI part)

..Does that make sence?

composite is not RGB, that is Component. Composite is the single yellow cable.

Make it more clear what exactly you are trying to do? Connect a TV with what inputs to a video card with what outputs?

hokiethang said:
Make it more clear what exactly you are trying to do? Connect a TV with what inputs to a video card with what outputs?

Yeah, it's confusing: what are you trying to do exactly?

Opps sorry...ya component.

that video card has all the outputs my Ati has. My Flat screen has either component or a PC input that accepts a VGA male. I'm just wondering which one has better quality.

then my next question is if i do the RGB thing, will my video card still be able to output a second computer screen (Like dual screens except one is the big screen LCD and one is a small computer LCD)

VGA is like a thousand times better than component.

And S-Video != component. You'd need a converter.

The breakout cable on the TV output should have S-Video + Component Component will give you better picture on the TV by definition so if your TV has component input, by all means use that. This way you can output progressive and HD content, but even regular NTSC/DVD rip format content should be better.

Yes, that video card supports upt to 2 monitors between those three outputs, so you can hook up 2 DVI monitors or a DVI + TV Monitor. Maximum resolution on both will depend on model and on-board memory.

As far as VGA in the TV, check the maximum resolution supported. Yes the signal would be better, but i.e. my 60" Mitsu only supports 640x480 resolution so while watching DVD's is still fine for 480p, watching HD content of 720p will be downconverted and actually look worse using VGA vs Component YPrPb

So VGA video is better the Component video.

Well i'm pretty sure the flat screen should have a good reolution, its only 6 months old but i'll need to buy a male to male adapter.

I've found a DVI to VGA but its 50 bucks...and thats a bit pricy at Radio Shack..I'm just assuming VGA to VGA is cheaper.

Popular Mechanics says S-video is inferior to component video. And Component is the best....analog choice.

Random question. Do alot of TVs (new) come with DVI inputs?

FYI, if you are just buying this video card it should come with 1 DVI-VGA adapter in the box. What male-to-male adapter? All you should need is a VGA cable.

It actually came with 2, but the VGA is female and so is the input on my flat screen. (both have holes not the pointy thingys) (hm...that was very un-technical)

Oh. You don't need an "adapter" they're always female. A VGA cable is a 15pin male-male (sorry, pointy things-pointy things ;) )

Ah sorry i'm not being clear at all...

The adapter adapts it from DVI to VGA (female)(on the video card) and i need a male connector to go from the VGA/DVI adapter from my video card to the female VGA plug on my big flat screen

The component jacks are in the upper right of that picture, and you should be able to map them to the audio input of your choice...

You basically run all the consoles with component cabels to the receiver, DVD Player as well and then you have only ONE component cable to the TV. Moodern TVs should have a component input, since its part of the HD-ready standard. Sometimes on cheapish ones, they connect at the DVI or VGA port via adapter to save ports and therefore costs...
Do pics from the console output cables, a selfmade one of the receiver and one from the back of your TV, or at least tell us which one it is...

I guess Viper messed up composite and component???

//edit : was a biut hasty there... If you wanna connect your PC to your TV, you NEED to tell us the exact model... I run a Toshiba 37WL58P via VGA since its the best on it. It doesn't have to interpolate, which it has to do via component as that only accepts 720p and 1080i.

Well i have a TH-42PA20 or Th-42PA25...

The manual (which i just found) says it can only do...*cries* 640x480 or 852x480..

It also has this in the back

06AAE3B7-A6A6-44E5-B31E-A33C84C939FB.jpg

But it says its not intneded for PC useage...why?? I can output digital stuff. I guess it has to be 1080i or 480i or it won't accept it

So it's a Panasonic 42" EDTV plasma. It say it's not inteded for PC usage because at those resilutions, well maybe 10 years ago. But you can still hook up a PC to view videos and have a desktop a la Media PC and what not. And I don't see a VGA input in there, I do see a DVI which could be better but there's a difference. DVI on this monitor may, and likely will restrict you to 640x480 and/or 720x480. So essentially you'd loose quite a few pixels from windescreen format. Not good, but could be still ok. Going over component cables, PC output such as desktop and such may be not as crisp or "out of shape" but then full screen video will be able to use full supported 16x9 resolution of 852x480. Your call essentially.

Composite = Yellow

Component = (compressed RGB known as Y,Cr,Cb, or Y,Pb,Pr.) it is not RGB and requires power to convert these two formats

RGB = Analogue full bandwidth Red Green Blue.

To connect this you need a RGBHV cable and your receiver would need (red, green, blue, Horizontal hold, Vertical hold) inputs.

VGA = Analogue RGB output, there fore you can purchase a VGA-RGBHV cable

DVI = Digital = HDMI = any digital connection

DVA = Analogue = RGBHV to connect to TV or plasma.

Conclusion: your receiver has Composite, Component or S-video and they would all run on separate channels. The quality of your cable can make a major difference so try to connect with OFC cables at very least.

All game consoles have a higher grade cable available, so find one with digital coax audio out (looks like RCA cable) and Component for greatest compatibility