BMW E39 M5 or Porsche 996 911 C2 for same yearish (00-01ish)

Izari said:
good idea but something annoys me with cars that does not have LSD ...
i think its a personal thing... which is to spin tires and burn rubber at will...
of course the lotus is good but it doesnt have the magnificence, the grandeur of the M5 or the Porsche...
8)
Why get a 10 year old NSX ...
actually i've just checked ebay and a 96 (10 years) cost $45k
thats very umm best described as unreasonable...
and of course then i'll have to look beyond 10 years... then there is no point to get a 12 year NSX ...
LSD is an option on 2006 Elises, and you've clearly been spoiled by badge snobbery. If you're going to use it on weekends, who's going to notice anyway? Of the three or four cars presented here, I'd say the Lotus is the rarest and most deserving of mad propz from your homies, and if you buy a car for the sole purpose of picking up chicks then that's pathetic.

Here's an idea. Step away from this humble forum for a second and go test drive the cars in question. Then take a step back and decide which one you like best, and whether you need extra room or useless badge cachet, then tell us what you think. By which point we'll wholeheartedly agree that you should buy whatever car you like most, which you should do promptly thereafter. What are you waiting for, go!

Izari said:
of course then i'll have to look beyond 10 years... then there is no point to get a 12 year NSX ...
Why? They have hardly changed it or is it the stigma of owning a older car? Every NSX 95 and later will be a Targa, the coupes, which are the earlier models are the true performers, I have driven both and I could tell the difference, but after my first drive I was sold. If you are at all interested you should check out the nsxprime.com sales page. You should find a way to test drive a NSX and the 996 C2, you will be surprised, also you will be surprised by the maintance cost of a 996 vs a NSX. Now if you are look for straight line speed this won't be the car for you, but since you mentioned a 996...

Made In the USA said:
Izari said:
of course then i'll have to look beyond 10 years... then there is no point to get a 12 year NSX ...
Why? They have hardly changed it or is it the stigma of owning a older car? Every NSX 95 and later will be a Targa, the coupes, which are the earlier models are the true performers, I have driven both and I could tell the difference, but after my first drive I was sold. If you are at all interested you should check out the nsxprime.com sales page. You should find a way to test drive a NSX and the 996 C2, you will be surprised, also you will be surprised by the maintance cost of a 996 vs a NSX. Now if you are look for straight line speed this won't be the car for you, but since you mentioned a 996...
good call.. i see some nice sales
:thumbsup:
but price variation is crazy...
u have ppl selling 92s for around the same price as a 96 ...
:?

Well as I said previously a porsche 996 and a E39 M5 are cars you use everyday , if it's just to cruise on the week ends you should look for cars that are more rare or exotics than a 5serie or a basic 911.
Like the guys already said Lotus elise or Esprit , NSX , and if you absolutely want to go for a Porsche I would take a good old air cooled 964Turbo (5198built) or 993 turbo (6323 made) , the look is agressiv and much more less ordinary than the first gen of 996 :thumbsdown:
But after all it's a matter of taste.

like Triumph said, what about a Lotus Esprit V8 then?

http://img274.imageshack.**/img274/5471/lotusespritv82ui.png

If the Elise dosen't smoke tires good enough the twin turbo 350 bhp V8 should do the trick :evil: . And i think it has more presence than the two germans, with it's (near) supercar looks, so the "boulevard pimpin' " can be done. It also has a big rear spoiler which you seem to like. Admittedly it's not the most reliable car in the world, but since it's only for weekend driving it shouldn't be that bad. A 97 - 99 car should be within your budget.

M3lover said:
like Triumph said, what about a Lotus Esprit V8 then?

http://img274.imageshack.**/img274/5471/lotusespritv82ui.png

If the Elise dosen't smoke tires good enough the twin turbo 350 bhp V8 should do the trick :evil: . And i think it has more presence than the two germans, with it's (near) supercar looks, so the "boulevard pimpin' " can be done. It also has a big rear spoiler which you seem to like. Admittedly it's not the most reliable car in the world, but since it's only for weekend driving it shouldn't be that bad. A 97 - 99 car should be within your budget.

if something breaks in there... i suppose it will empty the bank account to fix?
:(

Someone mentioned a 993 Turbo, but I 'm pretty sure that's markedly more expensive than a 996 C2, however you can look into a 993 C4S, which has the turbo style widebody and bumpers. I love those things, almost as much as a 993 Turbo. But between your two original choices, I'd rather have the M5. But I would go for the Elise as a fun weekend car, because that's exactly what it's for.

if something breaks in there... i suppose it will empty the bank account to fix?

Sure, it will be a bitch to repair but you will look cool breaking it!

:burnrubber: :blowup: :wall:

:thumbup:

and I don't think the 2 others are much cheaper to repair, allthough it is less likely you are going to do it as often as with the Esprit.

for 40-45K you can really have something more exciting about the look:
I even found DB7s or XKRs for this range of price and these cars are perfect for cruising on weekend, for sure you'll have more attention than in an M5 or 996!
8)

humbo said:
Someone mentioned a 993 Turbo, but I 'm pretty sure that's markedly more expensive than a 996 C2, however you can look into a 993 C4S, which has the turbo style widebody and bumpers. I love those things, almost as much as a 993 Turbo. But between your two original choices, I'd rather have the M5. But I would go for the Elise as a fun weekend car, because that's exactly what it's for.

it HIGHLY depends on your area/the car

993 turbos like this:

http://tinyurl.com/ombw5

sell for $70k or so, porsche fanatic to porsche fanatic, but then the '00 C2 will sell for $55k amongst the same people. and there is always the odd story of someone getting a 3-4 year old 996 C2 for under $20k.

Personally, i would probably go for a mint 87-89 911 (930) turbo with a G-50 tranny. you can probably find one putting out 400-450 hp for that price, and the G-50 is good for at least 700. a nice big whale tail spoiler, and the car will be unmistakable, and sound tremendous. you'// probably still have 10-15k to bank for upgrades as well.

sandor_ said:
Personally, i would probably go for a mint 87-89 911 (930) turbo with a G-50 tranny. you can probably find one putting out 400-450 hp for that price, and the G-50 is good for at least 700. a nice big whale tail spoiler, and the car will be unmistakable, and sound tremendous. you'// probably still have 10-15k to bank for upgrades as well.

I was also going to suggest him a 930 Turbo(IMO I would take it stock) but sadly for him he doesn't seems to be attracted by oldtimer and youngtimer cars.

triumph said:
sandor_ said:

I was also going to suggest him a 930 Turbo(IMO I would take it stock) but sadly for him he doesn't seems to be attracted by oldtimer and youngtimer cars.

black on black, huge spoiler, matching black/polished Fuch's, the hips. oh god the hips! booty-full!

bam!
Library0001.jpg

Library0002.jpg

just one of the front , my favourit color for a 930
930-ouverture.jpg

triumph said:
930-ouverture.jpg

i'll raise you a sepia, but only on the early '70s -

71Sepia415500.jpg

i have to stick with black on black for the turbos though :)

i've always enjoyed the variety of Porsche's color palette though

Izari said:
Made In the USA said:
Izari said:
The price variations really comes down to the fact some people think that they can get more than what the market will allow, plus for some reason NSXs in California are sold at a higher price than pretty much anywhere else in the country. But the reason why some 92s asking price is higher than later models is because they have very low mileage, usually around 40,000 miles and lower, do the math and those cars have been babied. Plus if you at all interested in mods the pre-96s engines with the 3.0 liter are easier to work with than the 3.2 of the 96+ primarily because Honda but steal sleeves in the 3.2 and which is harder to work with, especially if you want to add an 3.8 liter stroker kit to it, which has been done reliably and with great success, and also 96+ are OBDII, which again is harder to get around, but not impossible. But I have seen some with a supercharger on them, both 3.0 liter and 3.2 liter, and read about even more, so tuning can and has been done, you don't have to worry about reinventing the wheel with these cars. Regardless these things left stock are pretty much bulletproof, the first scheduled tune up is not until 100,000 miles :shock:, just the oil change alone will be drastically different in price than a 996. The only real thing to look at for 91-93 is a thing called "snap ring" range for the transmission, which is discribed in the FAQ section and the fact that some of the stock shocks and dampers may be warn a bit, but that is par for the course with any sports car.

If you check out the FAQ section there is a wealth of information about almost every aspect of ownership, maintenance, issues, cost, etc...

Like I have said I am currently looking for one myself, but I need to be a little more realistic, since I am young too, a house is a better long term investment than another car. But try to get a test drive, to compare. Also the kicker for me is that Ayrton Senna test drove the car and helped finalize the suspension settings. It is Senna's car, which is pretty damn cool if you ask me.

sandor_ said:
triumph said:
930-ouverture.jpg

i'll raise you a sepia, but only on the early '70s -

71Sepia415500.jpg

i have to stick with black on black for the turbos though :)

i've always enjoyed the variety of Porsche's color palette though

1.jpg

I've always been a sucker for the red and black turbo.

Made In the USA said:
Izari said:
Made In the USA said:
Izari said:
The price variations really comes down to the fact some people think that they can get more than what the market will allow, plus for some reason NSXs in California are sold at a higher price than pretty much anywhere else in the country. But the reason why some 92s asking price is higher than later models is because they have very low mileage, usually around 40,000 miles and lower, do the math and those cars have been babied. Plus if you at all interested in mods the pre-96s engines with the 3.0 liter are easier to work with than the 3.2 of the 96+ primarily because Honda but steal sleeves in the 3.2 and which is harder to work with, especially if you want to add an 3.8 liter stroker kit to it, which has been done reliably and with great success, and also 96+ are OBDII, which again is harder to get around, but not impossible. But I have seen some with a supercharger on them, both 3.0 liter and 3.2 liter, and read about even more, so tuning can and has been done, you don't have to worry about reinventing the wheel with these cars. Regardless these things left stock are pretty much bulletproof, the first scheduled tune up is not until 100,000 miles :shock:, just the oil change alone will be drastically different in price than a 996. The only real thing to look at for 91-93 is a thing called "snap ring" range for the transmission, which is discribed in the FAQ section and the fact that some of the stock shocks and dampers may be warn a bit, but that is par for the course with any sports car.

If you check out the FAQ section there is a wealth of information about almost every aspect of ownership, maintenance, issues, cost, etc...

Like I have said I am currently looking for one myself, but I need to be a little more realistic, since I am young too, a house is a better long term investment than another car. But try to get a test drive, to compare. Also the kicker for me is that Ayrton Senna test drove the car and helped finalize the suspension settings. It is Senna's car, which is pretty damn cool if you ask me.

nice!

triumph said:
930-ouverture.jpg
mmmmmm... viper green metallic, my beetle's original color!

No Boss said:
1.jpg

I've always been a sucker for the red and black turbo.

I like your taste No Boss :thumbsup: