[08x05] June 4th, 2006

jayhawk said:
Ripplin said:
Your avatar (and tons of other people's here) is a screenshot, isn't it? ;)
Would you like one made?
Nah, I can do that myself. I was just pointing out that while he's asking about the legality of using screencaps here, his avatar is a screencap, so...:p

GraemeH said:
jayhawk said:
ISO lesbian rating system.

Thank god for that. I thought you were going to use some unnoficial skewed lesbian-scale. That would have thrown the credability of your calculations way off.

Oh,severely, without a doubt. Had I used the archaic but still often used Etheridge/Springfield method, the rating would INDEED be skewd by factors like the "scissor sisters vs. dykes on bikes" methodology.

funny episode.. gambon was hilarious..
i also really enjoyed james's unsportsmanship and his in car victory dance. haha

the beginning of the show, clarkson seemed really dominant in the show, it was a bit much. James May also seems really gloomy in the studio segments.

Hopefully he will be able to become capt. fast after the jackie stewart part.

overall it's been alright, but season 8 still hasn't got the feel of the old ones i think...

even i loved the bit when they were discussing the a4 cabrio though...
"so what you're saying is that the best thing about a 4 seater convertible is that you can only get 2 people in it" "yeah..:" "man you do talk some rubbish sometimes!":D:D

and i loved gambon...he really is one hell of a cool person and as somebody already said much younger in mind than he actually is...

and i missed a "how hard can it be" bit as well...

and yeah, the p2 really looked like a bitch to drive on the timed lap...

that's enough and's now...

W1lL1s said:
and i loved gambon...he really is one hell of a cool person and as somebody already said much younger in mind than he actually is...

What do you mean, he's only 28 :lol:

actually, when hammond said "number 6 came out of nowhere..." that was true, cause it was supposed to be a 5 VS 5 and then fox No. 6 really did come out of nowhere!

am i the only one who thought the soccer game was completely scripted for entertainment? i mean, the whole raining like hell, bone dry, raining again bit kinda pissed me off... seemed like each side scored a few goals and they edited it to make it exciting and seem fair, then they picked a winner (in this case, hamster) and thats the one who had the most goals on the final edit... reallllyyyy seems like it... but i still loved it, very entertaining and as a VW owner and a brasilian, i feel doubly proud :thumbsup:

great episode tho... really funny

fast5oh said:
am i the only one who thought the soccer game was completely scripted for entertainment? i mean, the whole raining like hell, bone dry, raining again bit kinda pissed me off... seemed like each side scored a few goals and they edited it to make it exciting and seem fair, then they picked a winner (in this case, hamster) and thats the one who had the most goals on the final edit... reallllyyyy seems like it... but i still loved it, very entertaining and as a VW owner and a brasilian, i feel doubly proud :thumbsup:

great episode tho... really funny

Yeah I really hate it when the weather follows a script. It's such... scripted entertainment UGH!

Ripplin said:
Hey, No Boss. Where's the picture in your signature originally from? Looks like a kids' TV show or something.

haha, yeah doesn't it. I actually got it from the last Top Gear Magazine scan. I believe it was the May or June issue, and there was a big column about the new TG season.

No Boss said:
Ripplin said:
Hey, No Boss. Where's the picture in your signature originally from? Looks like a kids' TV show or something.

haha, yeah doesn't it. I actually got it from the last Top Gear Magazine scan. I believe it was the May or June issue, and there was a big column about the new TG season.
It's Blue Peter, been running 40 years in this country.

I think this was an excellent episode, it had a great balance between dicking-about and "level-headed" reviewing.

The prodrive review was excellent. It may just be me, but It seems like they used some new camera positions and moves, for example, the crane shot of the car near the beginning. I've never seen them use a crane shot like that before... Or maybe I just noticed it this time for some reason.

jayhawk said:
No, you wouldnt be able to use it every day. The flames and popping? Thats from the turbo; the cars computer has whats called a "missfire system". Here's how it works: On the exhaust cycle of any given cylinder, the cars computers tells the injectors to shoot fuel into the combustion chamber when the throttle is closed (foot off the gas).

So along with spent exhaust gases, raw fuel is hitting a white hot turbo explosions happen thus keeping the turbos turbine spinning, and from that, there is ZERO lag on the turbo. Rally cars use this now; 25 years ago in order to keep the car from lagging there would be alot of left foot braking around corners, with the right foot mashed on the gas pedal. Now, they can drive it normally.

The downside is that the life of the turbo is very limited; of course, this doesnt matter to rally teams with millions of dollars in sponsorships.
You can switch it off!
bscap091.jpg

You can switch it off even in the rally cars.So it's your liking to use it or not.I also think the one they fitted into P2 isn't working as aggressive as in the rally cars.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/prodrive-p2.htm said:
The ALS (Anti-Lag System) on the P2 is based on the system currently used on Prodrive's Subaru World Rally Cars, but modified for use on the road.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/prodrive-p2.htm

Yeah, if they started fitting actual WRC parts into consumer cars...oh boy. They'd automatically make the price of the car skyrocket and someone would need some serious skill to use it to its full potential. Having ALS on the P2 sure is cool, though!And I'd love to see Jeremy drive an actual rally car someday, even with its "flappy paddle" gearshift. :p

Jeremy did drive an actual rally car, in one of his features call "Jeremy Clarksons Speed part 1" He drove Colin McRae's Ford rally car and he crashed it.

Also, rally cars don't have "flappy paddle" gear boxes. They have a single lever. Push foward to go up a gear, pull back to go down. And if anyone has watched the last few rallies, the build quality on these mechanisms are a little suspect.

Solberg did give it a fair clout though in the Acropolis Rally. Some of them just seem to have a metal bar rather than a carbon fibre paddle.

To see Jackie Stewart in action was amazing....and on such a beautiful track made it even more worth watching.
Those sunglasses rocked....I wish I had a pair of those:D

hungus said:
Also, rally cars don't have "flappy paddle" gear boxes. They have a single lever. Push foward to go up a gear, pull back to go down. And if anyone has watched the last few rallies, the build quality on these mechanisms are a little suspect.

well the DBR9 that the stig drove had the same system though.

hungus said:
Also, rally cars don't have "flappy paddle" gear boxes. They have a single lever.
They may only have one lever, but it's a "flappy paddle" (Clarkson's slang, not mine; he says the same thing about any of those types of shifters). The kind that break off in Solberg's mighty hand.