Lucky Germans

Top Gear Girl

Not A Dude
I got fined for speeding today, 90mph on a motorway. :cry:

I can't help thinking if I was Germany, on an Autobharn it would have been OK.

I don't know what your speed limit is, but driving more than 20km/h faster than allowed costs you 35? here as well.

Un-Dee said:
I don't know what your speed limit is, but driving more than 20km/h faster than allowed costs you 35? here as well.

Our limit is 70 mph, approx 112 kph.

And 35? is approx ?17, a lot cheaper than ?90, approx 180?.

Why lucky germans, even in Denmark you wouldn't get a fine for that :?

you can't speed in denmark...accelerate to more than 80mph and you don't have ernough space to brake again and fall off the other side.

I was stopped a couple weeks back doing 90mph in a 50. I didn't even get points or a ticket.

It probably helped a little that the chap that stopped me thought it was a 60. Still, 90 in a 60? You almost always start getting points and a fine at 10mph over and up.

I got some friends who even lost their license on the Autobahn. 30-40% are restricted!
Its a nasty habit we seem to have to radar people going through roadwork sites ;-)

Buba said:
Its a nasty habit we seem to have to radar people going through roadwork sites ;-)
people who speed through roadworks fucking deserve to be financially raped.

Yeah, not all of Germany is unrestricted. You also have restrictions when it rains, and the remaining roads are also heavily restricted. You lose your license for a month or so for going 30km/h over the limit.

ryosuke said:
Buba said:
people who speed through roadworks fucking deserve to be financially raped.

Well, I agree on some traffic sites, but there is no need to have restrictions 3 km prior to the site.
And 60 km/h is quite ridiculous...

ryosuke said:
you can't speed in denmark...accelerate to more than 80mph and you don't have ernough space to brake again and fall off the other side.

Heeeeey, that's not fair :p if we go north-south there is plenty of room but the downside is that if you are to slow on the brakes you end up in germany.

In the UK you are given 10% before they can book you so 77mph on the motorway. They can let you off up to 30% so 91mph on the motorway. Any higher than that and they have to charge you.
GraemeH said:
I was stopped a couple weeks back doing 90mph in a 50. I didn't even get points or a ticket.

It probably helped a little that the chap that stopped me thought it was a 60. Still, 90 in a 60? You almost always start getting points and a fine at 10mph over and up.
You were lucky. If the police followed the rules you should have been done for speeding.

Yeah, you gotta love Germany! :thumbsup:

Over here in ol' Switzerland, things are quite scary when it comes to fines. Go too fast (especially in 50 or 80 km/h areas) and you don't just pay a fine, but the fine is calculated based on your income...

On the sunny side of things: Austria is testing the introduction of 160km/h on highways :D :D Not that I ever kept the 130 limit, but being able to drive that legally is just nice ;-)

Byte said:
Over here in ol' Switzerland, things are quite scary when it comes to fines. Go too fast (especially in 50 or 80 km/h areas) and you don't just pay a fine, but the fine is calculated based on your income...

Err, I don't have any regular income at the moment (rushes off heading towards Switzerland for blasting everything that's on the road there) :driving:

I reckon they do have a minimum ;-)
Don't the Finns do that as well? I just remember a story about the Nokia Boss paying like 100000 Euros in fine, because he earns so much...

Byte said:
Yeah, you gotta love Germany! :thumbsup:

On the sunny side of things: Austria is testing the introduction of 160km/h on highways :D :D Not that I ever kept the 130 limit, but being able to drive that legally is just nice ;-)
Because evryone drives at 80mph on the motorway anyway they were thinking of increasing the speed limit to 80. In the end they decided everyone would just then drive at 90 so they decided not to.

Buba said:
I reckon they do have a minimum ;-)
Don't the Finns do that as well? I just remember a story about the Nokia Boss paying like 100000 Euros in fine, because he earns so much...

Too late! :cry: :coplight:

And yes, they do have that system in Finland as well - quite makes sense somehow, poorer people don't usually drive the fastest kind of cars anyway :)