Nurburgring Webcam

Jesus. That's awful.

This would explain why it hasn't been open for the past several days.

Hell, that's terrible.

Reinforces the risks involved with driving at the 'ring - an awful wake-up call to those that don't treat the place with the respect it deserves (that's not aimed at those involved in this accident btw - but at those who treat the place too lightly).

WTF?! Hell that sucks big time! I pity those poor fucks...shame to die so young...but at least they died while having some fun...at least a SMALL positive thing...

I never really understood why the Ring was so "safety less"
the "T?V" should perhaps inspect the safety equipment on the ring.Why not redoing the tarmac and having more friendly guardrail for riders ?
It would perhaps cost a lot of money , but would be more user friendly.

triumph said:
I never really understood why the Ring was so "safety less"
the "T?V" should perhaps inspect the safety equipment on the ring.Why not redoing the tarmac and having more friendly guardrail for riders ?
It would perhaps cost a lot of money , but would be more user friendly.

Because that would take away a whole lot of the magic of the 'ring - as awful as it sounds the dangers and risks of the 'ring is one contributor to it's greatness. If the tarmac was smoothed out it would be a lot less of a test of man & machine. In short, you would be neutrallising the place, and that in itself would be an enormous tragedy and a massive loss to the motoring world. User-friendly and the 'ring don't go together - and that's part of what makes it so so special.

As awful as these accidents and fatalities are - these people know the risks when they tackle the place, and they chose to accept those risks. If the place was akin to a modern race track with big run-offs and pool-table smooth tarmac it wouldn't be the challenge it is today - and quite likely the very people that have sadly passed away wouldn't even have been attracted to it.

In short - the danger of the 'ring is a direct consequence of those things that also make it the incredible challenge that it is. The 'ring is our Mecca, our Holy Place - and it needs to be preserved for what it is - not neutered.

Yes Fbc I'm also aware of the "ring" popularity and magic but still one day this tarmac will just be so useless , you'll be faster on grass.

And yes you've got a point when you said that this was the ultimate test for man and machine so ok keep the tarmac like it is but at least when you're off the track better guardrail would be useful (when you're on the grass bolting toward the barriers there is no test anymore , now the only matter is to survive not to see if you're driving skills or the airbags will save you).

I still think they should give security to dangerous spot.

triumph said:
Yes Fbc I'm also aware of the "ring" popularity and magic but still one day this tarmac will just be so useless , you'll be faster on grass.

Fair point - and sure they can resurface as needed, but they shouldn't go around taking all the bumps and wrong camber away.

And yes you've got a point when you said that this was the ultimate test for man and machine so ok keep the tarmac like it is but at least when you're off the track better guardrail would be useful (when you're on the grass bolting toward the barriers there is no test anymore , now the only matter is to survive not to see if you're driving skills or the airbags will save you).

I still think they should give security to dangerous spot.

I think it was on Ben Lovejoy's excellent site that I read that recently they had moved some guardrail to increase safety and make the line the track takes more visible as you approach.

The main thing I wouldn't want to see happen is for the place to have enormous run-off areas - I'm not too opposed to putting better guardrails in place though. But it would be wrong for the place to become sanitised.

how should better guard rails look like?

larger run-off areas are impossible in most parts i think since you would have to chop down plenty of wood and that would most probably not be allowed.
but the tarmac is worked on every winter...its not like the surface is still from the 1920s.

ryosuke said:
how should better guard rails look like?

larger run-off areas are impossible in most parts i think since you would have to chop down plenty of wood and that would most probably not be allowed.
but the tarmac is worked on every winter...its not like the surface is still from the 1920s.

The tarmac is very variable(new-old) on the nurburgring , (also I didn't knew it was renewed every winter)
When I say guard rails they could for exemple in sharps or dangerous corners add some tyres like they do for F1 or moto GP

There's ADAC 24H Qualy right now for another 15 minutes and then tonight it's on again from 7PM-11PM (CET) :) Looks a bit foggy and humid right now.

Aren't ring road conditions purposely shitty for the purpose of testing car bits and pieces to their limit? (things like road surface etc)

FATMOUSE said:
Aren't ring road conditions purposely shitty for the purpose of testing car bits and pieces to their limit? (things like road surface etc)
Look at the posts up this page and on the last page mate ;)

The hugest problem considering safety on the Ring is that it was built in the 1920s when safety wasn't an issue. I doubt that there were any guard rails at all initially, and adding safety zones today is a huge problem because of the territory in general which doesn't allow great modifications in that respect without huge investments.

http://img62.imageshack.**/img62/1660/classic7pc.jpg

spotted this classic. don't know what it is though.

Looks British, that's all I can guess. Is that a BMW 328 behind it (the white one)?

http://img358.imageshack.**/img358/1416/webcam8pz.jpg
Go rotary!!!