AMG CLK GTR a lemon?

its an old supercar, of course its gonna break down

Yeah, that's too much complicated German engineering for Americans...I'm not really surprised.

And no way in hell he can sue MercedesAMG for that.

Kebab gud said:
did the CLK ever even finish a race?
i know the CLR never finished the 99 Leman.. but what about the CLK?
Both the CLK GTR and CLK LM raced, and GTR won once. (or maybe more, i don't know much)

003.jpg

LeMans

Mercedes-CLK-LM-in-pits.jpg

Here is the story in a more simplified form:

In a press release published today, it's being reported that Los Angeles-based Grand Prix Motors is suing DaimlerChrysler AG along with Mercedes-Benz USA, Mercedes-AMG GmbH and H.W.A. GmbH for allegedly failing to repair a 2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR Roadster.

According to the complaint, Mark and Ernest Johnston, co-owners of Grand Prix Motors, purchased the CLK GTR for $1.7 million in 2002 with the intention of re-selling the vehicle through their dealership. The two claim, however, that immediately after leaving their dealership's lot for its first test drive in 2004, the CLK's oil light came on after traveling only 10 blocks, and since then the vehicle has not functioned properly. In addition to a faulty transmission, a hydraulic jack system failure, and the roadster's windows coming unglued, the Johnson's allege that Mercedes' technicians, after examining the car on several occasions, determined the CLK suffered an oil-related engine failure, but were unwilling to make any repairs.

Mark and Ernest's suit, which accuses DaimlerChrysler of breaching their contractual and warranty obligations to provide a defect-free car as well as alleges negligent misrepresentation and breach of the implied warranty of good faith and fair dealing, is seeking full reimbursement of the CLK's purchase price along with the other costs incurred as a result of attempts to repair it.

Good luck gentlemen. Although I'm not familiar with the Mercedes CLK GTR roadster's warranty, I can assure you seeking a $2 million reimbursement for a car you were unable to sell over a 4 year period will be no easy feat, especially when the basis for your claims is a blown engine that supposedly occurrerd in "under 10 blocks."

For more info, head over to The Auto Channel for the full story.

[Update: The Los Angeles Times has another version of the story, in which they spoke with Mercedes-Benz USA about the suit. According to Donna Boland, a spokesman for Mercedes, "The customer bought the vehicle directly from Germany. He imported it himself. It's not certified for sale here. It's a race car, period. We don't import it and we don't have the ability or the parts or the training to service it."

Source

I just don't like the sound of the guy. He sounds like a bit of a dick.

I mean the website for his company is dodgy looking and it hardly makes me feel welcome or special considering how much money I would be spending on one of his vehicles.

In fact I think lots of car dealerships have pretty crappy websites. I hate going to dealerships so would much rather look at the cars they have and their prices online before I have to go and actually deal with the people.

Pretty ambitious chap if he thinks he can sell it at double prize

Why is it a $10,000 Chevy or Dodge can run suprisingly well for thousands of miles, but $1.7m in "german engineering" can't?

Is it just me or do you spend more money for a less reliable car?

thedguy said:
Why is it a $10,000 Chevy or Dodge can run suprisingly well for thousands of miles, but $1.7m in "german engineering" can't?

Why does an american drag car V8 need a comlete rebuild after each start, but a European F1 V8 can run for 2 full races??

Paahleease, what a stupid question.

mmap said:
thedguy said:

Why does an american drag car V8 need a comlete rebuild after each start, but a European F1 V8 can run for 2 full races??

Paahleease, what a stupid question.

Seriously lets not start one of these now.

thedguy, you know as much as I do that those are two totally different cars built for totally different things. Don't start an un-nessecary (and repetative) flame war.

This car obviously did work for some customers... I saw a documentary about the Shar from Dubai or some bloke like him and in it he drove around with it and even said he uses it regularly... He even sent it back to Germany and had AMG make it produce 100 hp more... :bangin:

That guy sounds like a proper dick. Why would a Japanese 355 be a "Euro car". Perhaps this guy thinks theres America and the "rest of the world".
Bit of a shoddy website considering he's trying to sell $2.5m cars.

thedguy said:

Or that a $500 lada can do thousands of miles with a 1.6 and no servicing other than the essential oils etc

Really grow up.

Buba said:
This car obviously did work for some customers... I saw a documentary about the Shar from Dubai or some bloke like him and in it he drove around with it and even said he uses it regularly... He even sent it back to Germany and had AMG make it produce 100 hp more... :bangin:

Some dude in Florida has a CLK GTR Coupe with 10,000 miles on it. No shit...

My friend has seen the car in real life, and owner told him he drives it alot.

FYI, owner is the guy that lives in Tampa and owns FXX, GT1, MC12, 959, XJ220, Enzo etc

is his name bill gates because hes meant to be the only 959 owner in the U.S.

Unless tampa is in canada

youngwarrior said:
is his name bill gates because hes meant to be the only 959 owner in the U.S.

Unless tampa is in canada
Bill Gates probably owns the only 959 in Washington state.

There are alone 3 or 4 959 in California.