Official World Cup 2006 Thread?

Exactly. The US has to go through Jamaica, Canada, and the likes. The Asians face great football teams like Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Laos, and Uzbekistan.

CIV, on the other hand, qualified out of a group that had Cameroon, Egypt, and Libya.

Fuck! I wanted Mexico to win so Angola would be out (would've been easier for Iran)

Ivory Coast played very good, just bad luck

And Argentina...DAAAAAAMMMMMMN, Go Argentina. I'm really getting interested in Messi.

youngwarrior said:
Do you know what teams the likes of north korea and the US have to beat to get to the finals?

I'm pretty sure North Korea isn't in the running. :mrgreen:

youngwarrior said:
Cameroon, nigeria and senegal would each beat the U.S squad

It's hard to prove this, but based on ELO rankings and a proven game simulator (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,29749,00.html), the USA would likely beat most of the top African teams.

///M said:
I think CIV's performance alone in the group of death so far should warrant 2-3 more spots for Africa. I suggest taking two away from Europe, and one from Asia.
It seems silly for me to argue about this, but this type of thinking really scares me. Saying that Africa should get three more places because the CIV was able to lose 2 games well is wrong. It's the same type of thinking that leads to far left wing policies.

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
///M said:
I think CIV's performance alone in the group of death so far should warrant 2-3 more spots for Africa. I suggest taking two away from Europe, and one from Asia.
It seems silly for me to argue about this, but this type of thinking really scares me. Saying that Africa should get three more places because the CIV was able to lose 2 games well is wrong. It's the same type of thinking that leads to far left wing policies.

lol..and what about that type of thinking?

It's not that you can't make that leap, it's just that there is just a huge disconnect between the two...

Firecat said:
It's not that you can't make that leap, it's just that there is just a huge disconnect between the two...

It is quite a leap. :mrgreen:

Basically I mean decisions that are made with disregard to merit or logic are consistent with what I consider leftist thinking. Not that these decisions are meant to be malicious - they often have good intent.

An example I would use is that in Canada some visible minorities have a separate set of standards that they must meet in order to become a firefighter. Logic should say that all ethnicities should be judged on the same standards.

To me this is the same as saying that African nations should be judged on different standards when it comes to World Cup qualification. I doubt anyone would argue that another continent should get an additional 3 slots because one member country lost 2 games.

pfrocker said:
Fuck! I wanted Mexico to win so Angola would be out (would've been easier for Iran)

WTF?!

Guess you don't know what the situation is...0 - 0 result is WAY better for us.

See ya tomorrow @ 6:00 AM! :D

It's hard to prove this, but based on ELO rankings and a proven game simulator (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,29749,00.html), the USA would likely beat most of the top African teams.

:lol: game simulator :lol: Trust me the US squad is so overrated. Our youngsters beat you guys and the african squads could beat england if theyre having a good day. The US isnt even a top 20 team its a top 30 team. Rankings are just biased because theyre trying to capture the american goldmine market.

Africa needs more spots so they get the money, exposure and sponsorship they require to carry on making the progress that they are.

youngwarrior said:
:lol: game simulator :lol: Trust me the US squad is so overrated. Our youngsters beat you guys and the african squads could beat england if theyre having a good day. The US isnt even a top 20 team its a top 30 team. Rankings are just biased because theyre trying to capture the american goldmine market.

However they came into the World Cup with a .500

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
///M said:

I'm talking in the context of the current World Cup and the next one. Africa is only going to get four spots next time around. African teams have put on a great show so far. Last world cup, great show. 98', Cameroon and Morrocco were great. '94, Nigeria was great. '90, Cameroon and the great Milla, enough said.

CAF teams have gotten farther, and with more consistency than CONCACAF and AFC teams.

Just a question, do you watch European club football? Tell me, how many Ivorians play in Europe compared to the US? What about Senelagese players? How about Nigerians? THAT's my guage of how good a country is doing. Africa needs professionalism and recognition, the talent, the hardest thing to get, is there. Most of the US players are domestic. The MLS is a steaming heap of crap. Most African leagues are crappy and still put out better football. I'm not JUST looking at one match or this World Cup, I'm looking at everything, club and national football.

wow, the first african team has managed to win a game, well done ghana! 8)

Wow...Ghana just pounded the Czechs (plus they missed a penatly and forced the Czech keeper to make some amazing saves) They've ripped open the group, and saved the USA.