Broadband Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
jeffy777 said:
5mbs down / 374kbs up - Time Warner cable

The download speed is more than enough for me, but I would love to have more upload.

If you're in the US, this is my favorite test:
http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/
That's about me as well, 4 mbit down and 384 kbit up. I'd give up some down bandwidth to have some more up though.

jeffy777 said:
peter3hg2 said:
jeffy777 said:
peter3hg2 said:
That test gave me about 200kb/sec down and 20kb/sec up. Thats about what i thought it was. You never get anywhere near the quoted speed.
I'm on NTL cable.

You mean kB/sec, right? There's a big difference, you know.
I mean kb/sec not kbps. Don't know the difference but kb/sec ususally seems slower than kbps.

kb/sec and kbps are the same. kb/sec and kB/sec are different.

kb = kilobits
kB = kilobytes

There are 8 bits in a byte.

This is helpful:
http://www.matisse.net/bitcalc/

So a transfer rate of 2Mb/sec = 2048kb/sec or around 256 kB/sec (transfer rate your broswer shows)

Bottom line:

kB/sec is what your browser shows you when you're actually downloading a file. Mb/sec or kb/sec are usually what broadband companies advertise, and the numbers sound bigger that way :)
That speed test thing gives it in kbps and kB/sec. I know all about bits in a byte but i've never really heard things measured in kilobits b4, got me a bit confues. Anyway the figures I gave where kB/sec.

jeffy777 said:
Buba said:
jeffy777 said:
peter3hg2 said:
jeffy777 said:
peter3hg2 said:
That test gave me about 200kb/sec down and 20kb/sec up. Thats about what i thought it was. You never get anywhere near the quoted speed.
I'm on NTL cable.

I mean kb/sec not kbps. Don't know the difference but kb/sec ususally seems slower than kbps.

kb = kilobits
kB = kilobytes

This is helpful:

So a transfer rate of 2Mb/sec = 2048kb/sec or around 256 kB/sec (transfer rate your broswer shows)

Bottom line:

kB/sec is what your browser shows you when you're actually downloading a file. Mb/sec or kb/sec are usually what broadband companies advertise, and the numbers sound bigger that way :)

Meh, you could just say, the factor is 8... ;-)

Meh, but I didn't..... ;)

It's just a few sentences to help clarify. It's not like it's that complicated or anything....there's always a critc :roll:

No criticism at all, try trying to bring in some good 'ol german efficency ;-)

Buba said:
jeffy777 said:
Buba said:
jeffy777 said:
peter3hg2 said:
jeffy777 said:
peter3hg2 said:
I'm on NTL cable.

kb = kilobits
kB = kilobytes

This is helpful:

Bottom line:

It's just a few sentences to help clarify. It's not like it's that complicated or anything....there's always a critc :roll:

Quote spam :mrgreen:

8Mbit down and 0.5 up. Its ADSL1 so overheads therefore only 850kb/s although thats plenty.

TechZ said:
Buba said:
jeffy777 said:
Buba said:
jeffy777 said:
peter3hg2 said:
jeffy777 said:
peter3hg2 said:
I'm on NTL cable.

kb = kilobits
kB = kilobytes

This is helpful:

Bottom line:

Quote spam :mrgreen:

just for fun LOL

jeffy777 said:

The download speed is more than enough for me, but I would love to have more upload.

Same package I have, and same way I feel. BUT hopefully this new Houston company will hurry up and I can get FIBER! :D Base pack. is 10Mbps/10Mbps, all the way up to 100Mbps/100Mbps :D

I can kind of customize it, if you need 15Mbps just tell 'em. It's all symetrical.
http://www.getfision.com/

Cruzz563 said:
jeffy777 said:

Same package I have, and same way I feel. BUT hopefully this new Houston company will hurry up and I can get FIBER! :D Base pack. is 10Mbps/10Mbps, all the way up to 100Mbps/100Mbps :D

I can kind of customize it, if you need 15Mbps just tell 'em. It's all symetrical.

But are there any caps on usage coz with 100Mbit you can download the whole Internet to your hard drive :evil:

No caps :D

I don't know of a service that does have caps :) In america anyway...

Cruzz563 said:

Yeah, I don't know anyone who has capped broadband here :D

jeffy777 said:
Cruzz563 said:

You Can't get any broadband WITHOUT caps in South Africa :eek: ...

Xeon SX said:
Cruzz563 said:
jeffy777 said:

But are there any caps on usage coz with 100Mbit you can download the whole Internet to your hard drive :evil:

I use 100mbits in HK and don't get any caps at all as well :D

Here most ISPs have caps and some use word UNLIMITED which means there is still fair usage policy. Luckily I am on truly ulimited service :D

jeffy777 said:
Cruzz563 said:

Used to be uncapped, now the ISP has caps on all speeds.

Horny_Load said:
I'm on 10MB connection (NTL) :p
1.1mb/s down - 512kb up :lol:

Uncapped too :mrgreen:

u wish mate, try downloading 500gb/month:

ntl Unlimited monthly usage allowances
What does unlimited mean?

Our 1Mb, 4Mb and 10Mb Broadband services offer unlimited usage. This means you can surf the Internet for as long as you like and download music or video files as much as you want without worrying about going over your monthly allowance giving you total peace of mind. A user policy applies which includes fair usage. For more information on our User Policy click here

Well I switched over my router today to a more stable and capable Billion.

With the new router I have pumped up the connection speed and am now getting 18Mbit down and 2.8Mbit up.

A nice little improvement. :D

We have 6mbps/384kbps cable from Comcast, and a speed test shows it working at 6056kbps/343kbps. When I tested the connection the day we got it, I got ~9500kbps down! :thumbsup:

Xeon SX said:
Horny_Load said:

Our 1Mb, 4Mb and 10Mb Broadband services offer unlimited usage. This means you can surf the Internet for as long as you like and download music or video files as much as you want without worrying about going over your monthly allowance giving you total peace of mind. A user policy applies which includes fair usage. For more information on our User Policy click here

It used to be 80GB/month on NTL 10mbit, its slowly getting more after the massive exchange upgrade, and if you're in a low usage area, you can easily do over 200GB/month and not worry :)

TechZ said:
Xeon SX said:
Horny_Load said:

It used to be 80GB/month on NTL 10mbit, its slowly getting more after the massive exchange upgrade, and if you're in a low usage area, you can easily do over 200GB/month and not worry :)
On NTL they used to have no cap on the 1mb service. 1gb a day on the 2mb service and 75gb a month on the 10mb service. They completely removed all caps a few months back though.

Status
Not open for further replies.