New Rabbit

petraman

Car(s)
'11 Ford Fiesta SE 5-speed
Yeah, I know it might not be the coolest car in the world, but that new Rabbit is pretty nice. A 150 hp/170 lb-ft engine in a sub-15k car? sounds good to me... The one thing I don't like is the gas mileage. What? 30 highway? yeah, hopefully the TDI version will come out soon...

Anyways, this trend in small cars, does this mean that soon America will have those awesome micro-cars I see on top gear every-so-often? More specifically the Toyota Aygo?

Kinda heavy for what it is, 3000lbs? I thought a 2.5L was too much engine before I found out the weight. The GTI version could be fun.

Yeah, I drove the GTI briefly, it's a nice ride, hints of torque steer, but not as much as I was expecting, and it handles beautifully. It's also a lot more civilized than the Civic Si (American)

Re: New Rabbit

petraman said:
Yeah, I know it might not be the coolest car in the world, but that new Rabbit is pretty nice. A 150 hp/170 lb-ft engine in a sub-15k car? sounds good to me... The one thing I don't like is the gas mileage. What? 30 highway? yeah, hopefully the TDI version will come out soon...

Anyways, this trend in small cars, does this mean that soon America will have those awesome micro-cars I see on top gear every-so-often? More specifically the Toyota Aygo?

Well all in all it's just the Golf with a different badge. But it is still a cool comeback. Have you seen the new commercials yet? It's a bunch of black and white rabbits driving around a city, then you start seeing more of them, then grey ones, then ones with grey bonnets and black doors and white roofs... it's a good play on words with the name Rabbit.

Small cars are definitly trying to make an appeal in the US (new Yaris, Fit, and now the Smart). Which is not a bad thing at all as some of the people that drive SUVs here are driving them for completely the wrong reason.

Carsightings said:
what do you want? :?

What was the point of this? Eh... oh well. I guess it doesn't matter, +1 to your post count right?

Raven18940 said:
No Boss said:
Well all in all it's just the Golf with a different badge.
Gah?

VwVortex

The Rabbit, or Golf as it is well known throughout the rest of the world, is the world?s best-seller with over 25 million cars sold over five generations...

Like I said before, I always liked the name rabbit better than "Golf"

No Boss said:
What was the point of this? Eh... oh well. I guess it doesn't matter, +1 to your post count right?

Actually, I did have a question, but after I asked it, I realized it was a pretty stupid question, haha. But I was just noticing all of the high-quality compacts and sub-compacts coming to the states these days.

Oh, and No Boss, is the Smart a sure thing for the states? If so, put me on the waiting list for a grey Braubus fortwo :thumbsup:

So this isn't a replacement for the Golf like was previously mentioned?

I saw a cool commercial for the Rabbit the other day and while it looks similiar, it looks different as well.

petraman said:
No Boss said:

Actually, I did have a question, but after I asked it, I realized it was a pretty stupid question, haha. But I was just noticing all of the high-quality compacts and sub-compacts coming to the states these days.

Haha... my comment wasn't towards you Petra. Your post was perfectly fine and sensible. My comment was aimed at Carsightings whose posts often times... hmm, how do I put this nicely... aren't necessarily ALWAYS needed.

petraman said:
Oh, and No Boss, is the Smart a sure thing for the states? If so, put me on the waiting list for a grey Braubus fortwo :thumbsup:

Yes indeed, check out this post here. Also I saw a report on ABC Nightlynews (or one of those network news shows) about the Smart coming stateside.

Viper007Bond said:
So this isn't a replacement for the Golf like was previously mentioned?

I saw a cool commercial for the Rabbit the other day and while it looks similiar, it looks different as well.

AFAIK, from all the reports I have read, no this is not a replacement... pretty much just a rebadge. The Rabbit will be exact same as the 5th gen Golf that Europe has had for about a year now, and we've all seen on TG.

other way around. :)

sandor_ said:
a re-badged golf was all the rabbit ever was

sandor_ said:
Raven18940 said:
No Boss said:
Now I understand, I thought we were getting the real rabbit for a while there. Now I'm bummed. :(

a re-badged golf was all the rabbit ever was
I just realized I was thinking of the fox, I figured a rabbit was smaller than a fox. :lol:

Talking of the new Golf GTI, does anyone know how much it costs in the states, as here it's about 32,000 US, which is a heck of a lot compared to what you can get for much less cash! (SRT-4 costs 23 grand!)