dirty lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

llpc60

Car(s)
93-NA . Mariner Blue
I can see loads of spots in my pictures.

Ive taken my lens out very little, I see no spots on the lens and I cant see any on the mirror either.

am I just not seeing them or could it be something else?

its sooooo bad

ouch-1.jpg

if my mirror is dirty, should I try cleaning it, or is it too risky?

edit: its only noticeable if I use a high f-stop #(can never remember if this is small or big aperture) and point at something clean - such as the sky..... which is usually how we check for dirty lens, but still :lol:

Mirrors are easy to clean and they don't actually affect the image at all (remember, they flip out of the way when you hit the shutter), so it's either the lens (remember to check your rear element as well) or the sensor that has the dust on it.

As, BCS said, the mirror doesn't actually affect the image, it's just so you get the image in the viewfinder... The whole point behind an SLR, really.

So it'd either be on the lens (which you say you've checked) or the sensor. Your camera should have an option in the menu somewhere for 'sensor cleaning' or something like that, it'll flip the mirror open so you can see the sensor. Be careful though, you can do more harm than good.

also, if you have another lens (or have a friend who has one)- slap it on your camera and take a few photos. If the problem goes away, it's probably your lens. If it doesn't it's probably the sensor.

I will try a second lens. I looked at the sensor and its squicky clean, spotless.

must be the lens, going to try another one tomorrow. thanks for the help, I should have thought it through better b4 posting :(

but now Im :mrgreen: so thanks :p

It doesnt matter if it looks clean to the naked eye, most of the crap that comes out on the pictures you cant see. You gotta clean it anyway. I recommend sensor swabs and cleaning fluid, did the trick on my D70s :D

^^

What he said.

I had tons of huge dirt clods on my sensor that couldn't be seen at all. Got some proper cleaning product and took care of it. MUCH better now.

Do a google search for "sensor cleaning." Read (every page) from top to bottom of the first 10-15 pages it digs up. There's a number of techniques, most of them work, some better than others for a number of different types of problems. However, every page will help you avoid making costly mistakes, and when I mean costly, I'm talking on the order of 50-75% of your camera's body cost, new.

HTH.

:hammer:

Status
Not open for further replies.