The Truth About Cars: "Three Pedal Fugue in A Minor&quo

People always wonder how I can live with a 35 year old car that has no power steering, air conditioning, no sound proofing, or any other modern luxury. The answer is that I LOVE the mechanical feel, the loudness, and the purity of the driving experience. There's nothing like stepping out of a car fatigued and smelling like petrol. THAT is driving . . . at least to me. :p

I read a Road & Track article that said a REAL manual shift only takes 0.3 seconds if done properly.

Bah, I can do it in .2, you just gotta slip the clutch on the engagement.

.3 secs a shift = hello worn syncros :lol:

i think automatics are the most dumb thing ever made

z_draci:,

im with you, I prefer not having power windows, seats, steering, or any other luxury/confort. If i want confy, I sit in my couch. If I want to drive, then I will *drive*, not have a bunch of heavy modern electronics damping the feel of the car

but I guess that doesnt work for those who drive just to get from A-B. losers :mrgreen:

, and it's a fundamentally unsafe way to control a car.

I think that, right there, is the point that the author showed that he has never ever driven a manual.

I :love: my manual

llpc60 said:
Back when I had my wrangler I was so fast at shifting that the synchros literally couldn't keep up. I'd grind gears even when the shifter was in, the gears hadn't spun up to speed yet.

llpc60 said:

Automatics are great for luxo cruisers, the lazy, and people like my cousins. These are people who can barely handle the idea of a brake, accelimatrix, and a steering wheel.

I'd like to try out an automatic with a manual valve body. I don't care to much about having a clutch pedal, but I like having control over the gears.

A "poorman's Lenco" or "clutchflight" would be kinda cool. Basically an automatic with a clutch in place of the torque converter, and a manual valve body. Drag racers used to use them back in the 50's and 60's before stronger manuals came about and decent torque converters.

thedguy said:
llpc60 said:

Automatics are great for luxo cruisers, the lazy, and people like my cousins. These are people who can barely handle the idea of a brake, accelimatrix, and a steering wheel.

I'd like to try out an automatic with a manual valve body. I don't care to much about having a clutch pedal, but I like having control over the gears.

A "poorman's Lenco" or "clutchflight" would be kinda cool. Basically an automatic with a clutch in place of the torque converter, and a manual valve body. Drag racers used to use them back in the 50's and 60's before stronger manuals came about and decent torque converters.

Oh, you can get a manual shift THM350 just by sticking a pin through the valve body governor. Super easy to do. Put in a 2800-3000 RPM stall convertor, and its a great combo.