Where are all the Diesels?

optimusprime

Is it just me... or are there literally no diesels in the United States? Diesel is generally cheaper than petrol here... and with rapidly rising petrol prices the efficiency is in high-demand. The only options for anything even reasonably efficient are rubbish hybrids. I'd really like to tell American Prius owners that they could have saved $5,000 and bought a Citroen.. but alas Citroen haven't come to the States... yet...

I think people like hybrids for their emissions as well as efficiency, maybe the image is that diesels pollute more than them Prius'.

umm...
diesel is hard to advertise in the us... and there isnt anyone working in the senate or the house to push diesel issues...
cuz its old school technology and us diesel is not up to par to european grade... so it pollutes like crazy and has the old diesel myth with the old school diesel cars :p

imo... best diesel u can get is the new E320 diesel ...
or Jetta Diesel... Passat Diesel...

its about money...
as always

Everyone thinks of noisy trucks when they hear diesel.

However, DC will soon be introducing clean, efficient, and probably quiet diesel engines for their Jeeps and stuff. :D (At least according to Dr. Z. ;))

Viper007Bond said:
Everyone thinks of noisy trucks when they hear diesel.

However, DC will soon be introducing clean, efficient, and probably quiet diesel engines for their Jeeps and stuff. :D (At least according to Dr. Z. ;))
overseas chrysler/dodge/jeep uses MB's diesels. Most likely they'll continue to use those, but under their own name

In the US diesel's image was hurt in the 70s and 80s by shitty diesel vehicles put out by GM and a few other manufactures. Some of the worst autos every produced were the diesel powered Oldsmobiles. Low Sulfur diesel is being introduced and being mandated. Chrysler has started to bring diesel powered versions of the Liberty to the US I belive.

Re: Where are all the Diesels?

optimusprime said:
Is it just me... or are there literally no diesels in the United States? Diesel is generally cheaper than petrol here... and with rapidly rising petrol prices the efficiency is in high-demand. The only options for anything even reasonably efficient are rubbish hybrids. I'd really like to tell American Prius owners that they could have saved $5,000 and bought a Citroen.. but alas Citroen haven't come to the States... yet...

Since you live in Illinois also, how about supporting E85? The farming community is very vital to the economy of Illinois. :)

jayhawk said:
optimusprime said:

Since you live in Illinois also, how about supporting E85? The farming community is very vital to the economy of Illinois. :)

yeah but E85 cost just as much and it pullutes just as much >.<
Diesel runs more mpg, cost less, and pullutes the same as gasoline >.<
Diesel ftw?
:|

jayhawk said:
optimusprime said:

I like E85 cause it has 104 octane, great for turbo cars. :thumbsup:

The reason we have no diesels in the US is cause our diesel fuel has been absolute junk for many years now, even worse than our gasoline. However sulfur should be in place by the end of the year and you'll see a lot more diesels offered in the 07/08 model years.

Izari said:
Diesel ftw?
Diesel hp = gasoline hp / 2

Raven's right, and from what I read in an article not long ago, Diesel in the US is the lowest quality available in the world this includes 3rd world nations.

Plus there is the problem of Diesel being scarce at many fuel stations other than truck stops, just ask anyone in California how many Diesel pumps are in their cities vs how many actual Fuel stations.

Raven18940 said:
Izari said:
Diesel ftw?

Yeah but:
Diesel torque = gasoline x2 and modern diesels seem to be a bit revy as well. I'd love to take a spin in that 535d bmw's got out.

jayhawk said:

It's a damn shame it can't survive without heavy subsidies. Great fuel for performance reasons, but it's not the solution we need. It'll only cost us more in the future.

thedguy said:
Raven18940 said:

Yeah but:
Diesel torque = gasoline x2 and modern diesels seem to be a bit revy as well. I'd love to take a spin in that 535d bmw's got out.
5000 rpms != revvy. Hell my car does 6500 and even I don't think that's revvy. And torque is very useful, but without the revs you haven't got the power and thus no performance.

Raven18940 said:
Izari said:
Diesel ftw?

Thats not quite true, and dont forget about Diesel torque....

I dunno why people always talk about revving... In the city you barely use a petrol car above 3-4000 rpm... Its no point of it. Allright, I dont like the sound of a diesel engine, but who cares, when I sit in a big fat C5, 2.2 HDI, and i can push down big petrol cars, just becouse of the torque :) .

The only vehicles in which diesels will sell in the US are trucks and SUV's, they need and can use the torque. All other vehicles they idle too rough for and make too much noise without the pro of the driver using the torque to pull something.

Diesel is being banned for the next few years because the automakers were unable to adapt to the new requirements.

Imagine, the fucking US is telling a more efficient nation how it wants things done. Goddamn idiots.

Another thing, people have been using GAS so long, they'd probably forget they're driving a DIESEL, and would try to put the wrong fuel in.

I've seen a couple old mercedes turbodeisels but thats about it other than trucks and SUVs

Especially German car makers try to make up a new market for Diesels in the US because they have a great experience with Diesel technology and successfully are selling Diesel cars in Europe in large numbers. I can clearly see why non of the US or even Japanese car firms are interested in re-introducing the Diesel on the US market - for getting to the same standard that most European car makers have these days, development costs would be immense. Other big issues at the moment are the strict US emission laws (no matter how much fuel you burn, as long as it's clean enough, nobody will complain...) and as mentioned above the really low quality of Diesel fuel sold in the US which makes the introduction of modern Diesels especially difficult to almost impossible because of the injection technology they're using for being able to handle the emission issues.

the big reason diesel isnt being pushed here is the shithole state i'm in (california's emission / smog laws). the new diesels emit other kinds of pollutants than what the tests allow, so they automatically fail and things like the Jetta diesel are not allowed here in california.

so as auto makers see it: if the 33 million + people in california cant buy diesels, why invest in a limited market? hybrids are popular now because of the "celebrity" status here, and the low quality fuel isnt going to help...

Raven18940 said:
thedguy said:
Raven18940 said:

Yeah but:
5000 rpms != revvy. Hell my car does 6500 and even I don't think that's revvy. And torque is very useful, but without the revs you haven't got the power and thus no performance.

I did say "a bit revvy" I didn't say Honda S2000 or F1 car rev happy. IMO above 6000 to 6500rpms is mostly a novelty. To each their own I guess.

Anyway, on topic.

Diesels probably won't become a viable option in the US until after the (waste of tax payers money) E85 craze (read: propoganda machine) goes away. Going to Diesel over gas doesn't seem to solve that whole "dependancy on foreign oil" thing.

AutoMX said:
the big reason diesel isnt being pushed here is the shithole state i'm in (california's emission / smog laws). the new diesels emit other kinds of pollutants than what the tests allow, so they automatically fail and things like the Jetta diesel are not allowed here in california.

so as auto makers see it: if the 33 million + people in california cant buy diesels, why invest in a limited market? hybrids are popular now because of the "celebrity" status here, and the low quality fuel isnt going to help...

I wouldn't call California a "shithole". And by the way, California's model for emission control is spreading to many other states. Nothing wrong with that really.