[08x06] July 16th, 2006

MasterEvilAce said:
Agreed aboot anti-american comments. He says American cars are junk yet always seems to praise specific american cars. He seems to do it with every car company. One day BMW sucks and all the cars are bland, and the one day he's hyping one up.

The camper thing i didn't think about. It seemed a little weird to ahve so much bad stuff happen at once. You're right about nobody coming to help. And what about when the camper just sort of "exploded" (ballooned out) in one scene.. and in the next one they're inside it trying to put the fire out.

As far as the firetrucks getting there too quickly to be real.. that's completely crap. It's not like they show us EVERY minute that is filmed.. they definitely splice up footage hardcore. So 10 minutes of burning camper could easily turn into 2 minutes of burning camper and then firetruck

TG really does seem crappier now that they've announced it's "better". Oh well, I still enjoy it. Miles ahead of Fifth Gear. I can't stand that show

Mommy, mommy, Clarkson does not like our cars.... wee wee wee

stop whining.... really

For people complaining about the F1 Toyota segment, can you not see that this episode after the three sedans is all about things going to hell. The Toyota not going as planned fit in perfectly wit hthe theme of the show like they were going to show something great to counter the camper segment but even THAT didn't go right. Damn camper bad luck invading everything.

For a moment though, I thought they were going to leave the camper on the tracks and let it get hit by a train, but we can do that in shows. Bet the Brits in charge would have had spasms at the very thought.

Clarkson's on-screen persona is to be a bit of an ass and people who take him litterlly/personally don't think. His rant against the US was just a continuation of his articles. It's called PROMOTING people.

I was not convinced this time :cry:
Where are the cool tests of the supercars like new Murcielago and stuff :|

Even my mother commented today, "Did you see that Top Gear last night? It was hilarious until the fire, that was so set up", and she isn't a Top Gear watcher.

I'm happy for them to put scripted stuff in since it can make things more interesting. It's just being badly directed. They should have made, for example, the crew start running about shouting trying to put the fire out and the cameraman running about panicking when the fire started. Then, it would have been believable. The director has the camera man and crew stand still behind the camera though when something supposedly catasrophic is happening. That just makes no sense.

Script it please, but do it well :)

Having said that, i didn't mind at all and laughed at it all anyway.

I think the biggest problem was the concrete. Indoor concrete is as smooth as glass.

Your right, not when there are more caravans to burn
:thumbsup: :evil: :thumbsup:

[Topgear jingle coming up]
On tonight's show:

We play darts with WarpSlowPoke, a nun drives a monstertruck OVER WarpSlowPoke.

And I drive a Land Rover Discovery up WarpSlowPoke('s ass).

[Topgear jingle fading]
.........wanker...........
You know what's funny? Actually imagining Jeremy Clarkson saying that :lol:

I should point out I am a proud Canadian, not a fan of american cars, but i worry some people take everything clarkson says as the gospel.
I'm in the same boat as you. I certainly don't take Clarkson's words dead seriously (at least not all of them ;)), but they're sure entertaining! You have to admit though, he's probably driven just about every car out there - he does have some credibility when it comes to opinions on cars.

When he gets going on an American-car-rant, he tends to get carried away. Remember, he likes the Ford GT (he owns one), the Dodge Viper/SRT10 (in a stupid sort of way, but likes the simplicity, vulgarity, and bruteness), the Vauxhall Monaro (which is essentially a GM) and so forth...

Lets hope they get back to doing what caused me to become addicted to this show in the first place, reminding me how great cars can be.
Agreed! 8)

It's not the same Stig as the normal guy though
Certainly not. I could tell that just by how he walked (the real Stig's walk is rather less side-to-side).

For a moment though, I thought they were going to leave the camper on the tracks and let it get hit by a train
That would be fantastic! :lol: Almost as good as when they dropped one from a crane and it completely obliterated.

I'm happy for them to put scripted stuff in since it can make things more interesting. It's just being badly directed. They should have made, for example, the crew start running about shouting trying to put the fire out and the cameraman running about panicking when the fire started. Then, it would have been believable. The director has the camera man and crew stand still behind the camera though when something supposedly catasrophic is happening. That just makes no sense.
I agree. They should have made things more spontaneous. The fire was obviously scripted (they could have a least made it look real). The funnier things were when James crashed the caravan into a pole, the fact that they were parked right behind a set of train tracks, when James went too far and had to turn around (OK, maybe that one was in the script), etc. They should have let fate take it's way and improvised with what it gave them.

Over all great episode.

The only thing that bothered me about Clarkson's latest anti-american rant, which I usually don't care about, was his claims about the new Chrysler 300C SRT8. He stated that it was just a "rubbish 300C that we all hate" with more power and that's it. Since the show is supposed to be about cars, I was alittle disturbed by this inaccurate comment. (Especially considering Clarkson tested the SRT8 in his new DVD.) The SRT8 has a completely re-tuned sports suspension, LSD, re-tuned stability control systems, bigger brakes, and larger wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires. It's quicker then a Porsche 911 for $20grand less. And I'm sure the Dodge Challenger will be even more impressive.

The only thing that bothered me about Clarkson's latest anti-american rant, which I usually don't care about, was his claims about the new Chrysler 300C SRT8. He stated that it was just a "rubbish 300C that we all hate" with more power and that's it. Since the show is supposed to be about cars, I was alittle disturbed by this inaccurate comment. (Especially considering Clarkson tested the SRT8 in his new DVD.)
I have to agree with you on that one. I remember that, when they tested it on the beach (along with the Jaguar XK8-or-something and the Vauxhall Manaro), he said that likes how the car looks with it's imposing design ("Something of the night about it"), huge interior space, etc. IMHO, that rant was a bit forced and too scripted.

minigolf said:
Haha, it makes me laugh that people take Clarkson's rants seriously. I'm sure he'd get a chuckle out of it too. :lol:

Well Clarkson is a "respected" journalist and presenter so his words do carry weight.

The Challenger is bland, the M6 is ghastly...give me the new Jag any day. That car is stunning. In responce to all of the recent "negativity" on the forum, I am Canadian and have the prevlige of viewing all the markets ( Japanese, Europeon, American) with neutral eyes. The fact is, if you want power and handling, buy European, if you want fun and reliability, buy Japanese and if you want safe and forgiving...buy American. Having said that, lets not forget PANOZ Motorsport, and the brilliant Saleen S7 Twin Turbo. You can order one of those babies with up to 1000 horsepower...and the car has no driving aids. Concerning the latest episode...I would've fallen asleep had it not been for the Caravan bit ( thats "camper" in Canadian ). :driving:

Top Gear is like a band, innit? Nowhere else is the "their old stuff was better" line used so much outside of music. It's a shortcut to making yourself feel special.

Not that I disagree completely. I would have liked to show better if the "PROPER" rip wasn't the first one I downloaded. Lost half the fucking episode.

Oh, and Americans have no culture. Most Americans that bring up culture and history aren't actually talking about culture and history, but what they saw on "tee-vee" shows written by people who'd talked to consultants who'd read books about their culture and history. Not that it's their fault, I mean, they're taught to have no past or ancestry or anything like that, to recite their little pledges and amendments and tales of Presidents chopping down trees or whatever. You can't blame them.

It's not something to be proud of, either.

Clarkson is an ignorant blowhard, but he makes me laugh, and that makes me love the show. I don't watch it to actually learn anything about cars as I hardly ever agree with Clarkson on anything, I just thing that these three make a very entertaining team, and that's what this show is about. If I want to be informed I'll download 5th gear. But only when they review something I'm interested in as I find that show boring, just like the shows we have here. There is a US version of Top Gear in the works but it will take a miracle for it to be as good as the original version.

I also think the fire may have been staged...Or maybe the fire wasn't staged and they just let it get out of control, I mean the look of surprise on Clarksons face looked pretty genuine to me, but if that was real, and he wasn't on TV I'm sure he would have been throwing everything on the fire to put it out instead of asking James how to put it out. Oil fires are really hard to put out though.

3Colin said:
Top Gear is like a band, innit? Nowhere else is the "their old stuff was better" line used so much outside of music. It's a shortcut to making yourself feel special.

Not that I disagree completely. I would have liked to show better if the "PROPER" rip wasn't the first one I downloaded. Lost half the fucking episode.

Oh, and Americans have no culture. Most Americans that bring up culture and history aren't actually talking about culture and history, but what they saw on "tee-vee" shows written by people who'd talked to consultants who'd read books about their culture and history. Not that it's their fault, I mean, they're taught to have no past or ancestry or anything like that, to recite their little pledges and amendments and tales of Presidents chopping down trees or whatever. You can't blame them.

It's not something to be proud of, either.

"Americans have no culture" That's just BS, It's a shortcut to making yourself feel special. As you put it yourself.

Yeah, that was a fucking stupid thing to say. Now you won't find me sticking up for Americans that much but man if you don't know what the hell you're talking about just don't say anything. You've already shown people that your an ignorant knob.

Yes, please don't make generalizations about a country based on what is portrayed in the media, which is usually the idiot side of this country. Not everyone is like that.

Okay, I'll give you that that was a terrible broad brush characterisation. But I've got to make that mistake at least once on the Internet (it might as well be this forum).

Yes, I overlooked that many Americans would love to get in touch with their pasts and have their own ideas about what their country should be about rather than taking the party line. It just doesn't appear as common as it should be, and it's a problem.

Be sure not to take obvious rants too seriously. I'm not burning any flags, yeah?