New (used) car recommendations?

Richard

So, I'm looking for a new car. My current one it too big, too long, an auto, and uses far more petrol in town than I can properly justify.

My requirements are:
* four door
* four usable seats
* comfortable
* not terrible on petrol
* at least moderately chuckable (I'd like to have a car that I can do the Jeremy Clarkson 'POWER!!!' thing to on occasion)

I've been looking at Fords (the Falcon, which I think may be the equivilant to a Mondeo), and Suburu Impreza though I don't really like this car for some reason.
No Holden/Vauxhall, please, work has both Fords and Holdens and the Holdens are terrible to drive (too touchy accelerator, poor brake response, road noise, bumpy ride...).

What else would meet my criteria? UK and AU models are pretty much the same just different names for the most part, with a few exceptions.

Nissan Skyline 350gt Sedan! ^_^ V35 if you get them.

1.jpg

^Thats an older one, the newer ones look a tad nicer. We have the American version, infiniti G35 and love it! Great cars!

Re: New (used) car recommendations?

How about an Audi A4 with the 1.8T (or 2.0FSI?) and quattro.
Very good handling, good performance, high 20's mpg, very nice interior and a good quality product (reliable).

A friend of mine bought a late 1999 model and it never had a single problem it's entire life (130Kmi). He chipped it after the warranty was up and it was a very quick car for what it was. Unfortunately he was tagged in the rear quarter panel by an errant driver a couple years ago at about 70mph, spinning and hitting the center concrete divide twice before coming to a stop. The car was demolished but he only had a couple bruises and walked away otherwise unhurt.

He then purchased a 2001 S4 and has slowly converted it into a 500+hp sleeper...but that's another story. ;)

Would be nice with a little more precision in your terms, such as:

Price (Since you are talking Mondeo and Impreza I would guess around 50 k AUD)

What is "not terreible on petrol" ?

What else would meet your criteria?

Something european I guess

- BMW 320i, used 520-28i or E46 3-sereis 325i maybe

- Audi A4 2.0T

- Peugeot 407 (You have those in australia right?)

- Lexus IS200 (used)

Well, since I'm after recent-but-used my upper price would be about 28k AU. To give a bit of perspective, the Ford dealer I just went to has '04 and '05 Falcons for $20888 with low km's (28000 at most). '04 and '05 Impreza's can be picked up for much less with low km's.

By my calculations my Mitsubishi uses about 20L / 100km in town. I find that rather pathetic. Anything has to be better than that.

I'm not solely limiting myself to Ford and Suburu, they're just very easy to find.

Richard said:
By my calculations my Mitsubishi uses about 20L / 100km in town. I find that rather pathetic. Anything has to be better than that.

:shock: You probably should visit your garage and ask if there's something wrong with it, that simply cannot be normal!

An old Beetle is the only way to go :D

See it beats anything, and remember: the original is always the best ;)

http://img92.imageshack.**/img92/7443/post165111dsc00164yq8.jpg

haz

If you're looking at the Impreza, you could do a lot worse than a recent Impreza RS (the NA 2.5). I have the 02 model and it's absolutely bulletproof, gets around 12l/100km in the city and around 8l/100km on country trips and handles really well (handles better if you throw a set of 17's on it). The interior is reasonably roomy - it can take four adults, but you wouldn't want to be driving long distances.

And, as a bonus, the new, ugly pig-nosed Impreza makes all the previous ones look much more attractive!

haz said:

haz

Yes, buy a Beetle. That way you can get to know your fellow motorists, their colorful language and rude gestures when they are stuck behind you on a two lane road. Thrill to sight of Vauxhall Novas passing you in a blur of speed. Enjoy the winter when the cars heater pipes may work.

Yea not a Beetle lol. Thats a nightmare waiting to happen.

I still think you should get a Nissan ^_^

Depends on what you want, I mean, you could buy an 03-04 BA XR6 (Turbo even) for that sort of money, but with fuel prices the way they are...

I wouldn't pay more than $15k for an XT Falcon, they depreciate like crazy (not as bad as a Magna, though), and base model Falcons handle poorly.

How about a new Focus? One of the sports models, perhaps? Many of the modern smaller cars are fairly roomy inside, and would be better on fuel than the big sixes. Worth a consideration.

You got a Magna at the moment?

Cobol74 said:
^ Haz, are you not a bit biased? On Topic, what about a MAZDA 6, or 3 Sport?

Cobol74, do you not have any humor whatsoever??

jayhawk said:
haz said:

haz

Yes, buy a Beetle. That way you can get to know your fellow motorists, their colorful language and rude gestures when they are stuck behind you on a two lane road. Thrill to sight of Vauxhall Novas passing you in a blur of speed. Enjoy the winter when the cars heater pipes may work.

My Beetle has no problems crusing the highway at a steady 120 km/h, that's more than enough. I just did that 10 mins ago, on my way to work!As long as you go for the 1600cc you'll be fine!

I used mine this winter, and was sweating while driving ... as long as the exhaustsystem and the heat-boxes aren't full of holes - the coupe will be hot enough during cold winters (hey, I live in Norway, It's cold here, trust me) ;)

Seems to be little knowledge about the worlds most produced car through the history of automotive ............. :roll:

haz

haz said:
My Beetle has no problems crusing the highway at a steady 120 km/h, that's more than enough. I just did that 10 mins ago, on my way to work!As long as you go for the 1600cc you'll be fine!
haz

Err - isn't there a very rudely enforced speed limit of 90 kph in Norway? :coplight: