Bwahahaha!

NAIDANAC A said:
ESPNSTI said:
What have you heard?
i have heard that the bigger blue-ray disc are actually no better than HD-DVD's because of the compression technology they are using, Mpeg2 (i think) and it is 10 year old technology that compared to the compression device and method HD-DVD is using Blue-Ray's disc need more space and also have worse quality than HD-DVD because of this outdated way of compression.
Not trying to convince you or anything like that (and I'm not married to blu-ray just yet), but I believe that this portion of what you said is incorrect.
I think that Blu-Ray supports mpeg2, h.264 (avc) and vc1, which I believe is exactly the same as what HD-DVD supports:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD
MPEG2 doesn't automatically equate to lower quality if sufficient disk space is used to offset for the lower compression.

NAIDANAC A said:
ESPNSTI said:
What have you heard?
Also Blue-Ray disc coding and info is all written on the surface of the disc not under many layers, it is more prone to scratches.
Looks like this was a problem with early development that was resolved:
A solution was announced in January 2004 with the introduction of a clear polymer coating that gives Blu-ray Discs unprecedented scratch resistance

NAIDANAC A said:
BTW my source is from an Microsoft employee so it is pretty biased but it is good to know that M$ was working on both sides until last year when they picked HD-DVD because they didn't like what Blue-Ray was doing.
You mean Blu-Ray didn't do what Microsoft wanted, right. :p

no M$ didnt like what they were doing overall and wanted to be all in on HD-DVD, and the mpeg2...ya thats the only compression technology Blue-ray can use and HD-DVD can use mpeg4 and others. and the polymer coating thingy is supposed to be really hard to apply and ruins discs in the making www.majornelson.com and go look for the HD-DVD podcast, he interviews a guy who works on it and knows his stuff

NAIDANAC A said:
i dunno if i want to dish out 700 bucks for a system (including taxes) that looks like a George Forman Grill
Yeah right, I wouldn't buy the PS3 because I don't like its looks. I want to play games with it, which means I'm looking at a screen, and not at the console.

NAIDANAC A said:
and the Ferrari thing...i wouldnt buy either cars, id buy a vette Z06 or an Ariel Atom or a Spyker...i hate the mainstream and i would love to see the look on the F430 drivers face when the vette and atom pull away from the light
But you get what I was trying to say with that, did you?

Buktu said:
And btw, i found GT4 to be rather dull and generic.. Even though it is a great game, me and my friend still play it from time to time :) It's really a blast with the crappy slow cars, it's really fun going around Laguna Seca in a Midget... :D That's something Forza lacks. But i'd still take Forza any day - it just seems like the better game to me.
Which is another example for the fact that it's a matter of what you like and don't like about certain games. I can understand that people like Forza or PGR or Enthusia, but the things they do better than GT4 just don't attract me as much.

Oh, and I've seen a blu-ray-demo the other day. It was a 1080p demo disc from Samsung and a 1920x1080 LCD screen from Sony. The picture was transferred digitally and 1:1 per pixel - it just looked :jawdrop:

Regards
the Interceptor

VC-1, H.264, HD JPEG decoding

where does it say mpeg4 and im just saying what the podcast guy said but even if it can handle it i believe (key word there) that the disc isnt made with mpeg4 compression instead mpeg2 thats what the interviewee said so...im just going by him

h.264 is MPEG4

cvg said:
Uhh, you bastards ruined my thread! :yucky:

Congratulations on your awesome deal for an Xbox360 :-D...

Now, Blu-Ray looked terrible on the TV screen that it was setup on in the store I was in yesterday. Granted I couldn't directly compare it to any other source, but the video was tearing terribly, and very pixelated. My HD cable box produces smoother and cleaner HD video. I can't really blame the TV for making it look crappy, because it was a high end Mitsubishi TV, set up in a high end store.

But I also dislike HD-DVD, even though that store didn't have a display model. The display models of HD-DVD looked just as bad if not worse.

And for the love of god, NAIDANAC A, use some punctuation and sentences. We aren't kindergarteners.

I could as well call all of you an a** all the time and then generally apologize for it in my sig. Correct grammar and spelling within reason is a matter of decensy. In a forum, you're judged by your posts. If they all look like crap, what picture of you do people get?

Regards
the Interceptor

well the truth is that I am horrible at English. I am also terrible at putting paragraphs together and puncuation just doesn't come to me like it does for others. I am completely math and science oriented.

Therefore I appologize for my horrible grammer and my imcomplete paragraphs and will try better.

NAIDANAC A said:
www.majornelson.com and go look for the HD-DVD podcast, he interviews a guy who works on it and knows his stuff
I finally had a chance to listen to this.
You kind of neglected to mention that this was an MS employee interviewing two other MS employees, it sounded an awful lot like an MS marketing speech to me. :lol:

I wonder how long it will be before players come out that use Ricoh's new multi-format technology (hopefully soon) :

http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/07/08/ricoh-laser-head-can-read-hd-dvd-and-blu-ray-discs/

It should hopefully make this whole format war a non-issue and it will probably make players cheaper to boot.

ESPNSTI said:
NAIDANAC A said:
www.majornelson.com and go look for the HD-DVD podcast, he interviews a guy who works on it and knows his stuff
I finally had a chance to listen to this.
You kind of neglected to mention that this was an MS employee interviewing two other MS employees, it sounded an awful lot like an MS marketing speech to me. :lol:

I wonder how long it will be before players come out that use Ricoh's new multi-format technology (hopefully soon) :

http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/07/08/ricoh-laser-head-can-read-hd-dvd-and-blu-ray-discs/

It should hopefully make this whole format war a non-issue and it will probably make players cheaper to boot.

Yeah, to be fair, Major Nelson isn't the person to be getting your information about HD-DVD from. Microsoft has drawn their line in the sand, and for them to say anything that doesn't support that line, is completely suspect, whether what was said was on payroll or not.

Yeah, I don't know if HD-DVD and Blu-Ray can survive like DVD+/-R did, though. DVD+/-R discs were still readable with most DVD drives, whereas at the moment you can't read HD-DVD and Blu-Ray with the same laser (i think Ricoh's either uses two lasers, or has some offsetting code in the firmware, i'm not really sure how it works honestly.) Ricoh is definitely taking the steps in the right direction. Who needs all of this proprietary and expensive hardware, when there are devices on the horizon that makes the whole format war disappear. Ultimately consumers win if they can watch the movies they want in HD without having to buy two players.

Also, NAIDANAC A, being math and science oriented is no reason to not be able to form sentences and paragraphs properly. In my professional line of work, I do a lot of math and science work, but I am also expected to be able to produce reports worthy of presentation to the president of the company.

NAIDANAC A said:
BTW my source is from an Microsoft employee so it is pretty biased
hokiethang said:
Also, NAIDANAC A, being math and science oriented is no reason to not be able to form sentences and paragraphs properly. In my professional line of work, I do a lot of math and science work, but I am also expected to be able to produce reports worthy of presentation to the president of the company.

Um I kinda said that it was gonna be biased because they both work at Microsoft.

Oh sorry, I thought that was in reference to something else and not the podcast.

and the Ferrari thing...i wouldnt buy either cars, id buy a vette Z06 or an Ariel Atom or a Spyker...i hate the mainstream and i would love to see the look on the F430 drivers face when the vette and atom pull away from the light

How are Vettes NOT mainstream? And the look on the Ferrari drivers face to the atom would be, "hmm, i think i'll buy one of those too" And the look on YOUR face when he takes the girl you were talking to home w/ him from the club after he mentions he has a Ferrari....oooh, priceless :)

And btw, i found GT4 to be rather dull and generic.. Even though it is a great game, me and my friend still play it from time to time :) It's really a blast with the crappy slow cars, it's really fun going around Laguna Seca in a Midget... :D That's something Forza lacks. But i'd still take Forza any day - it just seems like the better game to me.

As realistic as the Forza physics are(supposed to be better than gt4s cuz they recalculate 240 p/second to GT4s 60) its still set up to more an arcade game w/ a wider demographic than a pure drivers game. you dont see GT4 using 1-10 ratings for the cars speed and handling. They may both be technically classified as simulators and not real game games(they dont need that warning that the cars wont handle like that in real life, like nfs and pgr) but GT4 is more serious while forzas more for the quick pick up and play type.

Vettes are mainstream but for the cost you could get the girl many personal things :mrgreen:.

And if a girl is going to be driving with you in an Atom, than I think shed be a car nut because those things are insane, therefore she should know the difference. Money can buy many things but happiness is not one of them. Look at all the people who made the Gizmondo :bangin:

IT HAS ARRIVED!

http://img97.imageshack.**/img97/7539/xbox001ic8.jpg
http://img97.imageshack.**/img97/8286/xbox002kq0.jpg