That car you bought? We want it back

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
Now, not being an American attorney I am against the rabid sueing that seems to afflict the USA, but in this case - sue their socks off. The USA is a capitalist country, OK, so when you get a great deal then it is hard luck on the vendor if they made a mistake, they are behaving like some sort of communists confiscating the poor punter's property.

The opposite situation happens ALL THE TIME. The sale is completed but the buyer comes back to return the car. If the customer wants to return it then there is nothing in the law to stop them from getting a refund. This often happens when a husband during his midlife crisis buys a sports car but is forced by his wife to return it the next day.

Z Draci said:
The opposite situation happens ALL THE TIME. The sale is completed but the buyer comes back to return the car. If the customer wants to return it then there is nothing in the law to stop them from getting a refund. This often happens when a husband during his midlife crisis buys a sports car but is forced by his wife to return it the next day.

Sounds like if you buy a car from this guy he'll take care of the problem in the middle of the night.

Z Draci said:

That depends on the state, most states do not have a "cooling off period" after a car purchase. Once you sign on the line and take possesion of the car it is yours to deal with and the dealer has no obligation to grant you a refund. Many new car dealers offer "24 Hour Test Drives" where you can take the car home and use it for a day to see how you like it, although used car dealers don't do this.

Here in Belgium there is a 7-day refund period for all goods, I assume cars also belong in that category.
That means if you wish to return the product you bought for some reason (it doesn't work or perform as expected, you have to return it because of your wife;), etc.) the store is obligated to give you a refund, provided the equipment is not broken due to user error or damaged in any way (unless of course it was broken when bought) and you can provide the ticket from the cashregister.

Situations like at Bill Heard should be impossible here. :)
Law states that allthough it is possible that due to misprints on billboards or in magazines that prices are misrepresented. However the price that is advertised inside the store, is the prices the customer has to pay. In other words: if a product is presented at €59 in the store and you come to the cashregister and you get asked to pay €79 as a costumer you are not obligated to pay that amount, as a matter of fact the shop has to sell you the product at the advertised price, namely €59. Even if the wrong price inside the store was put there by mistake.

The Bill Heard situation seems to be quite similar. Most likely a mistake has been made, but that wasn't the customers fault so he should not have to "pay" for it.
Bill Heard should supply the customer with the car he bought and paid for as agreed in the contract that both party's signed.

Hilarious!

Train your employees and make sure they know whats what is all I have to say. Its the businesses fault for that happening.

But quite hilarious stuff really....

hahahaha, so stupid.

Sue sue sue!!!

Something funny like that happened to a friend of mine. He owned a Ford Ranger for a few years and liked it, but his truck was just a single cab 2WD I4. So he decided to try and trade it in for a nicer more equipped Ranger. He ended up buying this really nice extended cab Ranger Edge with the V6, leather, premium sound, etc. Nice truck. Well, it wasn't easy for him to get because he had negative equity in his previous truck. He had the new truck for 1 week. The dealer called him on a Friday and asked him to return the truck. Apparently they couldn't get him financed.

So he brings the truck back and the sales person starts trying to show him regular cab Rangers with the 4 cylinder engines. Worse trucks then the one he traded in. So he says no. And they try and get him to buy a Focus. Again, no. So he just asks for his old truck back so he can go home, but they won't give it to him. They already have it in the shop getting some work done on it. So he just smiles and tells the salesman to "keep it, I owe more then it's worth anyways", and starts walking home. They end up catching him and bring him back to give him his truck back, but they weren't happy about it. Turns out they had to replace the transmission, brakes, and a few other things they couldn't undo. Approximately $2,500 in work was done on his truck and he drove away with it. For free.

so let me get this straight... someone steals my car in the middle of the night and it's a civil case???????

only in america...

It's a civil case becuase the ownership of the car probably has not been transfered. Used car companies take out loans to buy cars and then pay off the loan when the car is sold, get the title from their finance company and transfer ownership to the cusomer. Whoever has the title is the one who owns the car, not the guy with the keys. In this case, they sold the car for less than they bought it and probably could not pay off their finance company for the car, thus they could not get the title. Instead of being out of pocket they used the letter of the law (the guy with the title owns the car) to take back "their" car.

This, in my opinion is a completely justifiable reason to file a lawsuit against a company, rather than my retarted daughter was traped because a guy she mmet on myspace was a pedo rather than the 19 yr old football captain he advertised.

^^^ sounds like a funny story you should share it sometime

I think this is a tricky gray area, i gotta agree with the person/company with the title owns the car, so they just took back there car. But then on the other hand, it was a signed contract. He shoudlnt of konwn that it was too good to be true. So yeah its kind a difficult thing to work out what should happen. I guess the guy who owns it at the moment should or could sell it back to the dealer for abit more than he payed for it, and he will get something out of it. but like i said its kinda a hard thing to decide what to do.

This is a situation that is come about more because of some of Tennessee's laws and lax enforcements. I lived in Tennessee and have family living there. While it is filled with some of the nicest people in the world, it is also home to many people that take advantage of them.

It also has some of the funnest twisty country roads to drive on in America. Heck even the freeways around the citys are twisty hill climbs.

It isn't a difficult thing to work out at all. It is just a horrible business that should have had its business license revoked years ago, but Tennessee people don't like to do that. And as for the suing part, the man that was victomized in that story isn't likely to get much of anything back, again because of Tennessee laws wouldn't allow much for damages. Jury might even say he is to be awarded a large amount, but then the Judge will follow the law and reduce it to a pittance. So after attorney fees the man will be lucky to break even.

Martin

I feel bad for the guy... if i was Earl Kieselhorst, id beat the living crap outta the guy. and just now i thought of something (damnit Skoshi u beat me to it) why doesnt he just do taht? isnt it HIS car... and he also has the keys. and if he does pull it off he cant be accused of anything. Im sure its not THAT hard to rob a truck frmo a dealership.. here in Canada, Toronto to be excat, im sure its the same in rest of canada how most of the car lots or dealers dont just have indoor showrooms. And majority of them have open space where a car can easily be driven out.

whatever the case, its just sad how that guy is pretty much speechless. America is full of bullshit.. and this incident just adds to the bullshitness - why cant they be like us?