Luxobarge time!

3Colin

Car(s)
Subaru Legacy
The lease is running out on my father's Mercedes S 430 from 2000. The buyback is CA$40,000 (US$36K, ?19K) so it's not likely we'll keep it. Therefore, he will buy a new car.

The new S Class looks fine (even with fender flares) and drives well with the optional active suspension. Unfortunately, the new base model available in NA is the 550, a step up. Which is fine.

We were hoping to wait it out for the awd version, but the timing is wrong as it won't be available until year's end. My first question is, how big a benefit do you suppose awd is? His present car works fine in the snow, it's just my car and my mum's car work much better (both awd sedans).

Or maybe we should consider another car. Audi has awd, but the noise I've been hearing about the A8 is mixed. Beautiful interior, but not as luxurious as it should be, rides rather hard, not as quick... stuff like that. BMW is too ugly, still. Jaguar still has the pall of quality issues over it, and is the wrong image... no real winner emerges.

So what do you think, dear forumites? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I doub't you'd notice the difference of AWD in an S-Class.

What are you planning to do, launching starts, climb mountains? It's a cruiser.

GraemeH said:

He lives in Canada. You'd be suprised how much snow we can get. I remember one time we couldn't get out of the house it snowed so much; pretty damn scary.

Re: Luxobarge time!

3Colin said:
My first question is, how big a benefit do you suppose awd is? His present car works fine in the snow, it's just my car and my mum's car work much better (both awd sedans).
Well if the S430 works well without the AWD, the new S should be just fine, especially with the upgraded electronic traction systems that car packs.

If you do buy this year and get the S550, your ESP will be working overtime keeping the 388BHP under control if you don't drive delicately enough. What I see many owners of high powered Benz's who have to deal with the snow do is buy a new set of tires for the winter. Maybe you should consider that?

What about a Volvo S80 AWD?

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
What I see many owners of high powered Benz's who have to deal with the snow do is buy a new set of tires for the winter. Maybe you should consider that?

We already have snow tires for the 430, so we're definitely going to get them for the 550. My dad "isn't what you would call a sporting driver" (he gets 13 l/100 city km out of his car!) and he's even more careful in the snow... doesn't stop the ESP from going nuts when there's snow cover though.

It's much better than his old 300SE, which actually spun numerous times in wintry conditions! Very scary.

edit: Yes, I meant Active Body Control. The only option you need.

3Colin said:
What I see many owners of high powered Benz's who have to deal with the snow do is buy a new set of tires for the winter. Maybe you should consider that?

We already have snow tires for the 430, so we're definitely going to get them for the 550. My dad "isn't what you would call a sporting driver" (he gets 13 l/100 city km out of his car!) and he's even more careful in the snow... doesn't stop the ESP from going nuts when there's snow cover though.

It's much better than his old 300SE, which actually spun numerous times in wintry conditions! Very scary.
lols ok

And when you said "optional active suspension", did you mean Active Body Control?

matt_shaw said:
GraemeH said:

He lives in Canada. You'd be suprised how much snow we can get. I remember one time we couldn't get out of the house it snowed so much; pretty damn scary.
Hahaha, not in Vancouver, man. :)

Salar said:
matt_shaw said:
GraemeH said:

Hahaha, not in Vancouver, man. :)

Vancouver is an exception :lol:

S 550? What engine does that one have? In Germany there is a 450 with 340hp and the 500 with 388hp... Have they started to number them different in Canada??

Buba said:
S 550? What engine does that one have? In Germany there is a 450 with 340hp and the 500 with 388hp... Have they started to number them different in Canada??
Its the 388BHP one using Mercs new 5.5L

Many countries like Germany and Australia have decided to retain the "S500" badge even though its using the new 5.5L but America and Canada have decided to give it the new name that it should rightfully have.

Buba said:
Its the 388BHP one using Mercs new 5.5L

Many countries like Germany and Australia have decided to retain the "S500" badge even though its using the new 5.5L but America and Canada have decided to give it the new name that it should rightfully have.

Yeah, I don't really get that myself. The number always reflects the size of the engine, so why not change it. I take it they are going to use the 63 AMG line of models.

Janus said:
The number always reflects the size of the engine

Mostly true, but there have been many exceptions to that rule in the past, especially recent past.

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
Just get this:

atom_13.jpg

Whats that race spec atom? Never seen it... But I want one!!!

DJ said:
Janus said:

Mostly true, but there have been many exceptions to that rule in the past, especially recent past.

Absolutely...

The new "6.3" AMG models are actually much closer to 6.4's, though they have choosen to stick with the 6.3 to hark back to Mercedes of before... marketing decision always.

get the A8 if you are really concerned about snow. hell, id get that even if i lived in florida or something. The interior is a lot less complicated, the exterior is very understated and tasteful, you yourself said that your dad doesnt drive like a maniac so speed should be removed from the equation, and you wont be complaining about the ride unless you put it into the "sport setting". On top of this, people wont think you're a prick for driving a Benz :p

96vtec said:
DJ said:
Janus said:

Absolutely...

The new "6.3" AMG models are actually much closer to 6.4's, though they have choosen to stick with the 6.3 to hark back to Mercedes of before... marketing decision always.

No you are wrong! It has 6208cm? of displacement. So it is a 6.2

I would go for a S-class. The A8 is the only alternative, but it is getting quite old. The S-class is a advanced car, the way to go at the moment.