650bhp McLaren Viper V10

Agreed. It's not a car for everyone, and culture has a big part of it.

y'kno you can get the older one fer about 25k nowadays(just thot i'd mention)

Fun fact. The NSX-R is faster around the ring than the current viper srt10. Interesting no?

kekekeke said:
Fun fact. The NSX-R is faster around the ring than the current viper srt10. Interesting no?

No, not really.

jetsetter said:
kekekeke said:

No, not really.
More expensive, Tuned by ArytonSenna, Made TO race, not at all interesting

More expensive? The price is similar. Made TO race? I'm sorry, but so is the SRT10. And considering it's age and the disadvantage in power, it is VERY interesting.

kekekeke said:
More expensive? The price is similar. Made TO race? I'm sorry, but so is the SRT10. And considering it's age and the disadvantage in power, it is VERY interesting.

The SRT-10 is not made to race. It is a convertable with side pipes. The hardtop is the racing version and I don't believe it has gone around the track yet.

ishigakisensei said:
chaos386 said:
Yes, all those wonderfully heavy and unreliable engines with laggy turbos.

Spoken by a person without a clue and who has been wounded desperately seeking something snide to come back with. RB26DETT+HICAS=Godzilla (the banned in Australia Tourning Car).

You mistake my noticing the superiority of the Japanese as preferring it to be that way. I root for the home team, but....
Well, an iron-block engine with gigantic turbos isn't exactly a featherweight now is it? ;) (though I'm more talking about the modded RB engines than the SRs, but according to you they top out where cars like the viper start off, so...) Also, if you're going to compare heavily modified cars to stock ones, you have to at least admit that modified cars are never very reliable, and anything that's pushing 1000+hp is going to need a VERY large turbo which is not going to have instant response. AND I'm not talking about factory-prepped racing cars that only have to run for one season, I'm talking about production cars that will be driven on normal roads every day, year after year in a variety of different conditions, all using the same setup, like the McLaren-tuned Viper that this thread is supposedly about.

Look, I can tell that you feel very passionate about the GTR, Nissans, and Japanese cars in general, and I apologise for being harsh in my comments, but you just struck a nerve in me when you said that your opinions were not only that but were a "higher standard", implying that the opinions of others were inferior. I just don't like that kind of attitude. People buy cars for very different reasons, so to say that yours are the way, the truth, and the light, and that all others are of a lower standard is very narrow-minded.

chaos386 said:
ishigakisensei said:
chaos386 said:

Spoken by a person without a clue and who has been wounded desperately seeking something snide to come back with. RB26DETT+HICAS=Godzilla (the banned in Australia Tourning Car).

You mistake my noticing the superiority of the Japanese as preferring it to be that way. I root for the home team, but....
Well, an iron-block engine with gigantic turbos isn't exactly a featherweight now is it? ;) (though I'm more talking about the modded RB engines than the SRs, but according to you they top out where cars like the viper start off, so...) Also, if you're going to compare heavily modified cars to stock ones, you have to at least admit that modified cars are never very reliable, and anything that's pushing 1000+hp is going to need a VERY large turbo which is not going to have instant response. AND I'm not talking about factory-prepped racing cars that only have to run for one season, I'm talking about production cars that will be driven on normal roads every day, year after year in a variety of different conditions, all using the same setup, like the McLaren-tuned Viper that this thread is supposedly about.

Look, I can tell that you feel very passionate about the GTR, Nissans, and Japanese cars in general, and I apologise for being harsh in my comments, but you just struck a nerve in me when you said that your opinions were not only that but were a "higher standard", implying that the opinions of others were inferior. I just don't like that kind of attitude. People buy cars for very different reasons, so to say that yours are the way, the truth, and the light, and that all others are of a lower standard is very narrow-minded.

Not to defend the other guy because I don't like him, but the nissan engine is steel not iron. That is what has always made them so special and capable of accepting up to 1600 hp, plus a 2.6L steel engine is rather light. But all the old tech turbos did have lots of turbo-lag, I would love to see what could be done with a set of new Porsche variable fin turbos on it. Which just makes it so sad the thought of them using just a normal big engine for the new GT-R.

But those engines are totally different experiences to a big crazy engine that is in either the Viper or Z06. One is for going fast and the other is go fast and crazy. Something about huge engines that hp for hp just is more heart pumping. It's often not the horsepower of it but the sheer thrill of it. Which for some just doesn't come to them, all fastest speed counts to them.

Martin

chaos386 said:
ishigakisensei said:
chaos386 said:

And then there was the veyron.

martineb72 said:
Not to defend the other guy because I don't like him,

Oh boo-hoo. My feelings are so crushed because someone I've never met doesn't like me. Whatever shall I do now???? :tease:

As for the VIPER, COBRA, and other venemous snakes out there a word of warning. Always hunting you is.............The Mongoose!

silver_grand_sport.gif

blue_grand_sport.gif

http://www.mongoosems.com

:thumbsup:

^ that looks pretty badass (even though its based on a C4)

i have a diamondback skin in my house, about 6 feet long

Those vipers look delicious...I was just thinking, they're called diamondbacks...but those are rattlesnakes

Saw a Viper vs M6 comparison on Motorvision today. They both cost the same in Germany, and the 0-62 times were nowhere near Dodge's claims. It took the Viper 4.8secs, they claim 0-60 is "under 4" and the BMW M6 4.4secs.

The Viper is a nice, manly, brutal car, but i feel somehow it could be a lot better.

If it shed some of its bulk it would be a lot better I think. It's pretty porky as it stands, though the 'Diamondback' is making use of carbon fibre so hopefully the weight will be down in the 3,200 rage... I doubt it though haha.

Just saw some pics of the new engine configuration.. the intake manifold is vastly different from the one used on the 8.3L engine.. mainly dual throttle bodies, huge plenums and short runners.

This should move the torque curve up significantly resulting in an engine that has a more progressive power curve than the current configuration.. probably the same amount of torque on the bottom.. but significantly more horsepower up top.

Also explains the redesigned hood.

:thumbsup:

1557E282D5534883984D889C33415B83.jpg

Un-Dee said:
Saw a Viper vs M6 comparison on Motorvision today. They both cost the same in Germany, and the 0-62 times were nowhere near Dodge's claims. It took the Viper 4.8secs, they claim 0-60 is "under 4" and the BMW M6 4.4secs.

The Viper is a nice, manly, brutal car, but i feel somehow it could be a lot better.

It depends on testing conditions, driver skill, etc. Remeber that M6 has many driver aids.

jetsetter said:
Un-Dee said:

It depends on testing conditions, driver skill, etc. Remeber that M6 has many driver aids.
the M6 is probably much easier to get a good launch compared to the Viper, even with aids turned off. On Fifth Gear they were testing the Viper against the C6, and Tiff and Plato were having trouble getting a really good launch in the viper because of its massive torque.