Top Gear presenter taken too seriously (again)

I thought the joke was about James being a former bus driver rather than being a former pothead. :D

tone76 said:
I thought the joke was about James being a former bus driver rather than being a former pothead. :D
Former?

:p

To round up my last post, I find it silly, to see a BBC spokesperson answering this.

Why can't they just laugh in their faces? Would LOVE for that to come in the newspapers:

Mr. James May of the television show Top Gear on BBC said "he would love to jump up and down on a badger if it meant he could drive the Ferrari Enzo for a year".

This has led the leader of the UK Badger Union, miss Sarah Littletwit, to protest in the most urgent manner: "He surtainly has no respect of badgers, and will never be taken up as a member of the UK Badger Union, never ever. We want an appology from BBC!"

When we called BBC for a comment, the BBC spokeperson heard our story, then laughed roughly, called us silly and hung up.

Now. THAT article, I'd like to read.

It's fiction. I tried to imagine something I'd like to read.

nomix said:
DO people know how silly they look? You all remember that kid who allways had his hand up in class and asked if there couldn't be any homework, with the result that there was given homework, despite the intent not to?

Well. This is what happens to those people when they grow up.

Yeah, we used to drag those people to behind the bikesheds and kick them repeatedly until they apologised AND agreed to do our homework for us.

*reminisces* I miss those days. Anyone know where I can find a bus drivers' union leader?

Perhaps they (intentionally) missed the part half-a-second after he mentioned "smoke a joint" where he said "NO!".

I'm against using so-called "recreational" drugs and all, but this was a JOKE. It was meant as a one-liner to stir up a good laugh. That's it. Nothing more.

DO people know how silly they look? You all remember that kid who allways had his hand up in class and asked if there couldn't be any homework, with the result that there was given homework, despite the intent not to?

That's quite possibly the funniest thing I've read on the FG forums! :lol:

Wow, and I thought Canadians were prudish.
Being a Canadian myself, I find this comment quite fascinating. Please explain! :shock:

I wish the PC police would naff off and stop complaining at every little thing - if they don't know what TG is about by now, then they never will. :shock:

OMFG typical British.(just had to:))

What's wrong with weed? Honestly? The campaign to legalize weed in my city made such a good point that it's now legal in amounts an ounce or smaller.

Considering marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco I don't see the problem with making it legal. That does not mean that I would smoke it, but I still don't see a problem with it.

How many marijuana ODs have you heard of? Now how many deaths from alcohol poisoning?

how can you OD on marijuana? when you use the needle you can OD but weed is smoked(unless movies have betrayed me). that would mean you could eventually OD on smokes as well? :|

zenkidori said:
What's wrong with weed? Honestly? The campaign to legalize weed in my city made such a good point that it's now legal in amounts an ounce or smaller.

:shock: :cry:

epp_b said:

That's quite possibly the funniest thing I've read on the FG forums! :lol:
Sorry for OT, but thanks. :) That's nice.

blaydexi said:
how can you OD on marijuana? when you use the needle you can OD but weed is smoked(unless movies have betrayed me). that would mean you could eventually OD on smokes as well? :|
It's smoked, yeah. But weed is dangerous in its own way.

It's regarded as so safe, that people get liberal in their use of it. Which eventually leeds to a use of it everyday. And, in a couple of years, you might very well end up with some sort of brain demage.

In that way cocaine is safer. But still damned silly.

dumb asses, no sense of humor :bangin:

nomix said:
It's smoked, yeah. But weed is dangerous in its own way.

It's regarded as so safe, that people get liberal in their use of it. Which eventually leeds to a use of it everyday. And, in a couple of years, you might very well end up with some sort of brain demage.

In that way cocaine is safer. But still damned silly.

There's no real proof that marijuana leads to serious brain damage though. Most studies done on the topic were just junk experiments done solely to support a view.

Wikipedia said:
There is little conclusive scientific evidence about the long-term effects of human cannabis consumption. The findings of many earlier studies purporting to demonstrate the effects of the drug are unreliable and generally regarded as junk science, as the studies were flawed, with strong bias and poor methodology. The most significant confounding factor is the use of other drugs, including alcohol and tobacco, by test subjects in conjunction with cannabis. When subjects using only cannabis were combined in the same sample with subjects using other drugs as well, researchers could not reach a conclusion as to whether their findings were caused by cannabis, other drugs or the interaction between them. In addition, research using cannabis is heavily restricted in many countries, making it difficult to get new studies funded or approved. Since there are so many different compounds in cannabis, it is difficult to predict or accurately measure its effects.

Some conclusions established with some degree of certainty, however, are that cannabis is less likely to cause emphysema or cancer than tobacco; that sustained early-adolescent cannabis use among certain genetically predisposed individuals has an elevated correlation with certain mental illness outcomes, ranging from momentary minor psychotic episodes to clinical schizophrenia; that cannabis use is generally higher among schizophrenics, but causality has not been established; that it temporarily impairs motor skills; that it is unlikely to cause birth defects or developmental delays in the children of users, and in a study done by the University of California Los Angeles in 2006, that even heavy marijuana smokers do not increase their risk for lung cancer. This is most likely due to the active ingredient delta9-THC, which recent studies indicate could well fight cancer by causing cell death in aging and potentially cancerous cells in vitro.

Long term continuous use of anything has serious side effects

SlickDizzy said:
There's no real proof that marijuana leads to serious brain damage though. Most studies done on the topic were just junk experiments done solely to support a view.
Still, people who've smoked it many years become.. weird.