Spied in America: 2008 Smart ForTwo

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
Vette Boss said:
Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
Vette Boss said:
jetsetter said:
Vette Boss said:
I actually quite like this, probably buy one when it's availible. Since I'm English and I don't weigh 925lbs, I won't be needing a new Silverado. ;)

Just don't travel out of the city or use it during a storm. A semi or a gust of wind will blow the thing over.

I'll just put some cement bricks in the boot. Oh wait, that will make it flip, damn. Maybe put a mcdonald's cheeseburger in the passenger seat instead, plenty of weight there.

The plus side is that because you're not driving a massive vehicle, people won't think you have a tiny penis.

Of course. On that basis, I would be much better off. Not to mention, it requires massive amounts of courage to drive a car that small, when the nation is full of off-roaders the size of small homes.

You're preaching to the choir. If Smart drivers are courageous, motorcycle riders are daredevils. :p

Nah, bikers are just daft. :p

How dare you!

wheelie.jpg

Nice job testiing it at a place where NOBODY would EVER think of buying one

They must be selling well with the private sellers over there in the United States. Plus these make great advertising tools. A lot of ones in Australia are covered in Advertising livery and they travel in packs.

I'd like to see those driving around the city, they look nice and modern and a little silly, i approve :thumbsup: bring em on over!

I actually got into an argumment with my friend (hippie type) trying to tell her that no matter what her brother said, smarts DONT do 75mpg...i hope they dont or i'll feel foolish

Makes sense to test it in the mountains. Its like testing in Death Valley in the summer, for extreme heat. The extreme altitudes and steep roads should be considered too. I know this because I drove with my dad in the early 80's through the mountains in a Jeep Eagle 4x4 car. And found out that it really didn't like high altitudes. We thought at first it was a clogged fuel filter, but that didn't fix it. Just had to go slowly through Colorado until we were low enough that our engine had enough oxygen to breath right.

:lol: at the guy on the Harley going, "WTF? Damn pinko Commie faggot Europeen furrengors etc." or whatever we Americans are supposed to be saying anyway.

I just hope the smart won't be the next Prius: the chosen ride of pretentious smug bastards thinking they're making a difference. Nothing wrong with the car, just the people who might buy them.

I actually got into an argumment with my friend (hippie type) trying to tell her that no matter what her brother said, smarts DONT do 75mpg...i hope they dont or i'll feel foolish

im sorry to tell u that there is a brabus version of it that will do 94 mph (limited) and got 74 incredible bhp

smart_nitron.jpg

wooflepoof said:
I'd like to see those driving around the city, they look nice and modern and a little silly, i approve :thumbsup: bring em on over!

They do around 60 mpg so you should be alright.
If you want a rediculous small car you should get one of these.
A Ligier Ambra.
ligierambra.JPG

505cc 2 cyclinder engine. 20bhp, around 80mpg and you can drive them on a motorbike licence. SHame they top out at 65mph and take nearly 20 to sixty.
They sell them a few miles from me and tey do look rediculous.

Re: Spied in America: 2008 Smart ForTwo

jetsetter said:
I would be scared to drive this thing in the states. Crash into anything bigger than a bicycle and you're screwed.

i'd be thrilled to crash that into a hummer,
you untouched
hummer ruined :lol:

(those smarts are EXTREMELY strong!)

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
I just don't get how these small cars are considered safe :? I don't care how many stars it got in Euro NCAP but to me, its gotta have a larger crumple zone for it to be classified as safe. If it hits something, theres hardly enough body to absorb the impact meaning the occupants come to a stop quicker and thus more violantly....anyways thats my opinion.

Look at the cheap fuel you guys get!!

Yeah but then you don't know a lot about crash safety, do you? ;)

Nowadays that we have SRS/Airbags the biggest problem isn't the sudden decelleration anymore, the human body can bear this for a short time, but that often parts of the car intrude the passenger cell, harming the occupants.
Most small cars just have extremely strong safety cells which ensure nothing enters the survival zone, so you won't be smashed by your own car. Thats the problem a lot of big SUVs, especially older ones have. There are a lot more pretty massive parts that can enter the passenger cell, injuring or killing the people inside.

Un-Dee said:
SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
I just don't get how these small cars are considered safe :? I don't care how many stars it got in Euro NCAP but to me, its gotta have a larger crumple zone for it to be classified as safe. If it hits something, theres hardly enough body to absorb the impact meaning the occupants come to a stop quicker and thus more violantly....anyways thats my opinion.

Look at the cheap fuel you guys get!!

Yeah but then you don't know a lot about crash safety, do you? ;)

Nowadays that we have SRS/Airbags the biggest problem isn't the sudden decelleration anymore, the human body can bear this for a short time, but that often parts of the car intrude the passenger cell, harming the occupants.
Most small cars just have extremely strong safety cells which ensure nothing enters the survival zone, so you won't be smashed by your own car. Thats the problem a lot of big SUVs, especially older ones have. There are a lot more pretty massive parts that can enter the passenger cell, injuring or killing the people inside.
Like that one video post ever so long ago with the chinese car crash test where the steering wheel was pushed through his face :lol:

I think this will be the most important post of this entire thread next to it's response*

When will the US get the roadster?

* If it hasn't already been asked

Given the height difference between the Smart and most SUVs, the drivers face is more likely to impact the front of the SUV than the bumper of the Smart.

Production of the roadster stopped, and I doubt there will be a new one anytime soon. So I'd say: never.

peter3hg2 said:
wooflepoof said:

They do around 60 mpg so you should be alright.
If you want a rediculous small car you should get one of these.
A Ligier Ambra.

i do better

the aixam
aixam.jpg

also 500cc 2 cyl
max speed: 40 kmh
no driverlicense needed

worst part is, people actually buy those things, i see several a week :?

Fifth gear test a smart if I recall and noticed that the cabin was extremely strong so the occupants didn't get crushed, but found most of the crashes energy caused the occupants to get hurt since there was little room for crumple zones. That and the car just got sent all over the road like a pinball.

Not sure I'd want to drive one above about 45 in this country.

You guys always find new reasons for being afraid of small cars, do you? :D

Driving 15 year old cars is a lot more dangerous than, for instance, driving a smart. How many people here wouldn't want to drive a Lotus Elise, although I am sure it won't do very good in a crash.