Questionnable styling: from ugly to beautiful (with time...)

bone said:
you think that looks good? :?
Yes, what's not to like about the Porsche 928...?

The reason why I think the 928 looks so great is that you can park it next to any modern car and it won't look dated. The same cant be said about the for instance an SL from the same era, nor the one you mentioned. The 300 SL Gullwing is beautyful, yes, but not timeless. Same goes for the E-type, stunningly beautyful, but it's something unmistakeably 60s about it. The 911 is also a beauty, but it has gone through an evolution, so it's not what I would call timeless.

[sidenote]What I also love about the 928 is that it's not just a pretty face either, it was technologically and dynamically superior to all it's competitors and best of all; It's a very affordable car these days. You can pick a very good one up for less than ?10k.[/sidenote]

marcos_eirik said:
The reason why I think the 928 looks so great is that you can park it next to any modern car and it won't look dated. The same cant be said about the for instance an SL from the same era, nor the one you mentioned. The 300 SL Gullwing is beautyful, yes, but not timeless. Same goes for the E-type, stunningly beautyful, but it's something unmistakeably 60s about it. The 911 is also a beauty, but it has gone through an evolution, so it's not what I would call timeless.

I would also add the 1960-s Dodge Charger. It has always been a beautiful car and it still looks really cool nowadays.

There is not a Dodge in existence that would qualify as "beautiful". Masculine, rugged-yes. Beautiful-no.

rjvracing said:
How about the original Ford Focus... I thought it was hideous when it was first unveiled... but now I love it... hell, I even bought one :lol:

:p Same thing (including the buying one)... And just today even my mother bought one

almost all the older Alfa Romeo's look amazing

http://img64.imageshack.**/img64/1498/ar6c25bmm39apz7.jpg
like this Alfa Romeo 6C 2300MM

marcos_eirik said:
bone said:
you think that looks good? :?
Yes, what's not to like about the Porsche 928...?

[sidenote]What I also love about the 928 is that it's not just a pretty face either, it was technologically and dynamically superior to all it's competitors and best of all; It's a very affordable car these days. You can pick a very good one up for less than ?10k.[/sidenote]

the 928 just scream 70s imho, and it's way to round, and...

i simply don't like it

i think the 944 looks A LOT better than it's bigger brother

29use_leadimage.jpg

29use_leadimage.jpg

Im going to have to agree withg you on the 944, My dad used to have one and our neighbor has one and it still a nice car to look at. i dunno about the seats though...

Talkin of cars that dont look dated
850csi.jpg

Its now more than 10 years old this, if it wasnt fer the popup lights giving it away you really wouldnt know

martineb72 said:
Some get better others get worse.

For instance:
RX-8; I thought it was great at first but now it looks a little overdone.
Z4; I thought was a bit too much at first, but now I rather like it.
Audi TT; I at first liked the look, but then later thought it was rather bland
Porsche 996 and 997; I was indiffernt with them at first, now I don't like them.
Porsche Cayman; I at first didn't like, but now really fancy them.

None of these because they are classics, just that it takes time for their image to settle in.

Agreed - especially on the RX-8. What the hell happened to that car? It got old way too quick.

All the new BMWs look good to me now. I never would have expected that.

bone said:
the 928 just scream 70s imho, and it's way to round, and...

i simply don't like it

No you see, the 928 looks like something that they could have made today. It was actually meant to be a replacement for the 911, and guess where that rounded rear end can be found today... I don't really see what design feature that "scrams 70s" on the 928. Maybe you can point it out then?

There isn't anything even remotely 70s about this... The styling is far too simplistic for that. It's like the 80s B&O stereo I have at home, it looks like it could have been made yesterday. Looking at this 928, there really isn't anything that gives it away for being a '92 model, except perhaps the interior.
928_gts_93_8x6.jpg

928_gts_92_8x6.jpg

"I wish Porsche still made it today, in stead of that silly Cayenne..." :jc: