Dell recalls flaming laptop batteries

TechZ

Captain Internet
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
Audi TT '08 (Sold) S8 '02 (Sold)
:shock: im lying on my bed right now with my dell on my lap...

hehe, i just checked, my battery is fine :)

Overheat said:
uh oh - mine is in that time period - :worried:

There's a very specific list of machines though. It's definitely not every laptop sold in that time period (because one would think that Dell has sold more than 4.1 million laptops in 2 years)

the site that Ethan posted has the information on checking it. I also read somewhere only 1.2 million of the batteries are suspected to be outside the US, the rest were used domestically.

i was watching this on the news this morning, you should see the pictures they showed :shock:

stuff like this laptop on fire at some conference:
http://img213.imageshack.**/img213/6972/toastylappyrb5.jpg

Ringo Shells said:
ive heard that laptops can permanently damage the bits n pieces, if you actually keep it on your lap. so look out lads (including me)!!

I cant't imagine a laptop exploding on them would be too good either :p

My uncle's Sony notebook just died yesterday and my aunt said she smelled something burning. Could be a related issue...

I've had Dell, they used to be a good company but now you couldn't pay me enough to buy them. Their boards and hardware are all propriatary so you can't go to any computer story and fix it or replace components, they come loaded with known spyware and tech support is in freakin' India.

Dell sucks
Flame on!

(on that works on so many levels today)

Its not just Dell laptops. Any device that uses a lithium battery has potential to explode. Some Apple Notebooks have been destroyed by exploding batteries.

BlitzR said:
Its not just Dell laptops. Any device that uses a lithium battery has potential to explode. Some Apple Notebooks have been destroyed by exploding batteries.

There are far fewer Apple Batteries and most of those are covered in the previous warranty recall for MacBook Pro batteries. The problem seems to be with the source cells from Sony, where they are not insulated enough, and could short.

According to Sony, their laptops are unaffected, because they were smart enough to not use their own battery cells in their laptops. Sony laptops are notorious for bad power supplies. I've had two Vaios that the power supplies died on.

No need to panic guys!

Mine's OK!

Normal broadcasting will resume right after this......

Not good, id hate fr my laptop to burn my leg or more sentitve parts, just as well I have an IBM, do they burn you as well?

There is warning before your laptop becomes a fireball. If you start smelling smoke then stand at safe distance away from the laptop.

Anybody see that bit in Jeremy's Sun column today?

I've written this entire column on a Dell laptop made in 2005 with a japanese battery and it hasn't exploded once D436%!23 Dammit.

made me laugh.