"Godlessness" and Politics

Firecat said:
Without some kind of rearing, is there something inside humans to keep them on the up and up?
I believe that humans are inherently good, this is god's design IMO. A species does not propagate and advance we have if they are inherently malicious.

zenkidori said:
Firecat said:
Without some kind of rearing, is there something inside humans to keep them on the up and up?
I believe that humans are inherently good, this is god's design IMO. A species does not propagate and advance we have if they are inherently malicious.

I lean towards Tabula Rasa.

zenkidori said:
Firecat said:

Do people act "good" because they are inherently made so or because it just turns out to be a good way of surviving and advancing in our current society?

It might be just me, but I rather think of humans as greedy, selfish and dangerous, but luckily very much tempered by our society and social rules...

There are always exceptions off course, but in my opinion people are still inherently the vicious survival machines, designed to survive in this harsch world based on competition. Capitalism, sports competitions, and so on are just a civilised way of expressing that.

Do people act "good" because they are inherently made so or because it just turns out to be a good way of surviving and advancing in our current society?
that's very close to what I was saying.

I think we have the capability for great evil, but I don't think that's our default state. If society is what tempers our homicidal urges how did the first humans get along and thrive? Perhaps there were a few humans early on that were by default evil, but they probably didn't survive very long. We seem to have come from packs to tribes to societies.

CyberMonkey said:
zenkidori said:
Firecat said:

It might be just me, but I rather think of humans as greedy, selfish and dangerous, but luckily very much tempered by our society and social rules...

There are always exceptions off course, but in my opinion people are still inherently the vicious survival machines, designed to survive in this harsch world based on competition. Capitalism, sports competitions, and so on are just a civilised way of expressing that.
I agree, I belive humans are all "evil" for want of a better word. Modern society just tames us and numbs our animal instincts. I think we are all still capable of "evil" acts if the right conditions exist.

That religious people say that atheists have no moral, I find extremely ironic. Religious peoples moral is build up around their beliefs and therefor its morally right for them to do things their religion allows them. Like killing infidels, an eye for an eye principle and so on. While atheists doesn't have a over-lord they have to obey can define their own morallity, and that usually forms as what the standards are in the modern times.

That being said, I think of religion as the root of all evil, the cause of death of millions, and the single most worst threat to world peace.

all i can say is that it's just so stupid to hate other people because of their beliefs :thumbsdown: he believes in what he believes, he follows the same rules as you do, so why hate him :? stupid people...
and BTW: ESPNSTI - i followed your link, checked out some other things about god and stuff on wikipedia, and i found that deus=some sort of god. anyway now i figured out the meaning of the name of the game "deus ex", so thanks!

Are you replying to me? If you are, I don't hate the individual, but I do hate the religion. A bit like "Don't hate the player, hate the game".

osabros said:
all i can say is that it's just so stupid to hate other people because of their beliefs :thumbsdown: he believes in what he believes, he follows the same rules as you do, so why hate him :? stupid people...
and BTW: ESPNSTI - i followed your link, checked out some other things about god and stuff on wikipedia, and i found that deus=some sort of god. anyway now i figured out the meaning of the name of the game "deus ex", so thanks!

Usually it's Deus ex Machina, meaning "God of the Machine" - a cop-out plot device when a writer writes himself into a corner.

Damn I am not sure. I have met some "posh" evil people whose lives of relative ease would make you think that they would have a prediliction to good who are most certainly not. I have met people who have grown up in unfortunate circumstances who you would expect to have a prediliction to evil who were honest, hardworking and really nice people to know. How strange, this is not a general rule but occurred more often in my young life than most people would give credit for. As far as religion is concerned, beleive or do not believe but obey the laws of what ever country you are in. If you do not like the laws try to change them or find another country wih compatible laws. If you are stuck then keep away from circumatances where your beliefs conflict with the law of the land. Well that is what I think anyway.

this is for you americans :
If the Athiests are so "evil" as (Republicans) wants you to think.. then ahy are ALL coruptian charges aimd agains christian (Republicans)...

For the rest of the world
A vast majority of all the wars in the world are all down to religion..
"Not to quote a certain Actor/director.. christians and muslims have just as mutch too do with it"

The thing that makes me think that religion is often just crazy is all thos evangelists in America. I remember some clip with some girl who they said had been born "without a brain" but an evangelist had healed her. That to me is scary that people believe this stuff.

Kebab gud said:
this is for you americans :
If the Athiests are so "evil" as (Republicans) wants you to think.. then ahy are ALL coruptian charges aimd agains christian (Republicans)...

Dude, don't be so quick to genralize. Not all Christians are Republicans and not all Republicans are Christians. It's just wrong to lump everyone into one boat. And as if "ALL coruptian charges" are aimed against Christians (Republicans) :roll:

peter3hg2 said:
The thing that makes me think that religion is often just crazy is all thos evangelists in America. I remember some clip with some girl who they said had been born "without a brain" but an evangelist had healed her. That to me is scary that people believe this stuff.

Yeah, I think it's terrible that those television evangelists and other radicals who make up such a small population of Christians try to represent it. People think all Christians are crazy becasue of them. You can't just take a handful of people and think that everyone else is like them. It's like looking at Islamic teorrists and saying all Muslims are violent. That just isn't true. And most Christians (atleast the ones that I know personally) aren't kooky like the evangelists. The Christians I know are the most kind and trustworthy people I have every met.

I feel sorry for every one that belives in "God" and that "God" controles there lives.
How sad must there lives be ..
i pride myself on the fact that I Controle my life, I choose what to do, I am my own Master..
But religius people they dont feel it like that .. they cant seem to live ther own life so they go by some book written by Antisosial bald guys 2-1 thousen years ago

To quote from the movie "Dogma" (Funny movie.. but that it :p)
Nun: You don't believe in God because of Alice in Wonderland?
Loki: No, "Through the Looking Glass". That poem, "The Walrus and the Carpenter" that's an indictment of organized religion. The walrus, with his girth and his good nature, he obviously represents either Buddha, or... or with his tusk, the Hindu elephant god, Lord Ganesha. That takes care of your Eastern religions. Now the carpenter, which is an obvious reference to Jesus Christ, who was raised a carpenter's son, he represents the Western religions. Now in the poem, what do they do... what do they do? They... They dupe all these oysters into following them and then proceed to shuck and devour the helpless creatures en masse. I don't know what that says to you, but to me it says that following these faiths based on mythological figures ensure the destruction of one's inner-being. Organized religion destroys who we are by inhibiting our actions... by inhibiting our decisions, out of... out of fear of some... some intangible parent figure who... who shakes a finger at us from thousands of years ago and says... and says, "Do it - Do it and I'll fuckin' spank you. "

Thanks for caring, but I don't need your sympathy :) My life is a million times better than it was before I became a Christian.

Kebab gud said:
I feel sorry for every one that belives in "God" and that "God" controles there lives.
How sad must there lives be ..
i pride myself on the fact that I Controle my life, I choose what to do, I am my own Master..
But religius people they dont feel it like that .. they cant seem to live ther own life so they go by some book written by Antisosial bald guys 2-1 thousen years ago

I'm quite sure people who understand their religion as they should, have more control about their lives than you and me do. Simply because they are so "trained" in making the "right" choices. They don't feel like being under control, but having their lives under their control because they do the right thing.

I gues ;)

and you know what else i hate .. ex-alkoholics and people like that who "Found Religion"
GOD! didnt make you sober .. you did!
just because you dont have faith in yourself dosent mean that some higher power saved you .. YOU DID!

Kebab gud said:
and you know what else i hate .. ex-alkoholics and people like that who "Found Religion"
GOD! didnt make you sober .. you did!
just because you dont have faith in yourself dosent mean that some higher power saved you .. YOU DID!

Thanks for hating me!