Why do F1 cars have paddle clutches?

kekekeke

Never understood that. I thought the whole point of paddle shifters were to eliminate the clutch completely.

I believe they have an automatic clutch for up and down shifts, but they cannot free roll in gear without manually pressing the clutch. That's why they're still able to stall after a spin, because if they don't get on the clutch fast enough, it's over.

BlitzR said:
Also keeps the drivers hands on the wheel.

The clutch lever doesn't keep the hands on the wheel seeing as it would be normally operated by the feet.

the shifting paddles do keep the hands on the wheel in stead of reaching down to a normal shift lever

i've been told...

...that they don't have enough torque to take off with the paddle stuff, they need to compress the clutch and keep revs high when going from the line, afterwards they no longer need the clutch

but a lot has been told...

A paddle clutch is actually a term that refers to the clutch itself and the way it operates. I won't bother to go into detail, but they're generally stronger, but harder to control.

In F1 they only use the clutch to start. The lever on the wheel is linear and controls a hydraulic actuator that controls the clutch itself. The main reason for having this paddle located on the wheel is mainly driver preference. There is very little room at the pedal end of the cockpit so having a third pedal would greatly reduce the size of the brake. As they left foot brake too, it would also be quite easy to catch the clutch by mistake.

Furthermore...there are a few little clever divices regarding the gear change. For a start, as the clutch controller is not directly connected to the clutch it's impossible to feel the bite point. For this reason the control unit brings the clutch plates together slowly until they start to bite. It then records this position and sets the wheel controller to bite the clutch at exactly the same point every time. So however worn the clutch is, the bite point will always be in the same place on the wheel controller.

Once the car is rolling the clutch is no longer used. For an upshift, when the driver demands the next gear, ignition is momentarily cut and position sensors on the gears wait until the gear teeth align. At this point the gears are meshed, ignition is once more engaged and drive continues.

For a down shift, the gearbox does much the same thing. The speed of the differential is measured and the engine is revved to exactly match the speed of gears and again, once aligned they are meshed. No clutch is used at any point.

You can actually change up in a manual car without the clutch. I've done it myself and whilst not that great for the gearbox, if you match the revs right, you can pull it out of gear and then applying some pressure to the leaver it will pop into the next gear as they align.

bone said:
i've been told...

...that they don't have enough torque to take off with the paddle stuff, they need to compress the clutch and keep revs high when going from the line, afterwards they no longer need the clutch

but a lot has been told...

BUT BUT BUT IT'S A V8!!!! :lol:

Paddle shifters were originally developed not for driving improvement, but to eliminate the physical linkage from cockpit to gearbox, which gave the designers more lattitude on the shaping of the rear of the car and packaging around the engine. All the "driver benefits" were considered a bonus from that.

Steve

I'm talking about paddle CLUTCHES, not paddle shifters, and yet people still keep on going about them without reading the thread title.

so why exactly do the f1 cars need the paddle clutch to start. and why don't road cars with paddle shifters need this.

kekekeke said:
so why exactly do the f1 cars need the paddle clutch to start. and why don't road cars with paddle shifters need this.

read my post

it's got all to do with torque (or the lack of)

bone said:
kekekeke said:

read my post

it's got all to do with torque (or the lack of)
and price. :|

i would have thought a 2.4L V8 would have enough torque to move something weighing 500kg.

kekekeke said:
i would have thought a 2.4L V8 would have enough torque to move something weighing 500kg.
I really dont understand that post either. F1 cars produce around 245 lb/ft torque with a relatively flat powerband. There should be no problems setting off.

euhm, i read ArosaMike's post again, and he actually says the answer (mine about torque isn't correct either :oops: )

Once the car is rolling the clutch is no longer used. For an upshift, when the driver demands the next gear, ignition is momentarily cut and position sensors on the gears wait until the gear teeth align. At this point the gears are meshed, ignition is once more engaged and drive continues.

For a down shift, the gearbox does much the same thing. The speed of the differential is measured and the engine is revved to exactly match the speed of gears and again, once aligned they are meshed. No clutch is used at any point.

^so if i understand correctly, there isn't an torque converter (or sth similar) at all, sensors just align the teeth on the gears and shift when they match

so you need the manual clutch to keep the ingine running without moving...
(except for if they have a neutral like a bike?)

Rogerb1

Rogerb1

euhm, i read ArosaMike's post again, and he actually says the answer (mine about torque isn't correct either :oops: )

^so if i understand correctly, there isn't an torque converter (or sth similar) at all, sensors just align the teeth on the gears and shift when they match

so you need the manual clutch to keep the ingine running without moving...
(except for if they have a neutral like a bike?)

I have a Jaguar XF with auto gearbox. If I want a fast start I select 1st gear with the paddle shifters. Keep my left foot on the brake. Increase the revs then when ready release the brake and away. Why can't they do that in F1?

I have a Jaguar XF with auto gearbox. If I want a fast start I select 1st gear with the paddle shifters. Keep my left foot on the brake. Increase the revs then when ready release the brake and away. Why can't they do that in F1?

1 - They don't have the torque converter of the XF.
2 - Launch control is illegal.
3 - There wasn't even an XF 9 years ago, where this thread belongs!