The Mercedes Benz Museum in Stuttgart [56k dont even try]

Alok

The TomTom did it.
Car(s)
Seat Leon Cupra 5F
I visited the Mercedes Benz Museum in Stuttgart over the last couple of days. I must be by far the worst photographer in the world, so I apologise if the pix are shitty, but they are lookable

IMG_30961.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3175.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3099.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg

IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3043.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

By the way, the car in black camo bodykit is a prototype model that Mercedes uses. It is called the Sound Car and inside it there are computers that simulate the driving characteristics of different models. One of their personnel spotted me peeking into the glass walls, so he opened it up for me and my friend and gave us a tour of it. Amazing! First, there was an initialisation phase when it plays back the various noises in a car, like the windows, door close, engine start. the seats, steering wheels, the whole car vibrates just so well if you closed your eye, you simply wouldnt believe the car was stationary. And then, it played the engine start and acceleration simulation of a mercedes benz racecar from the early years (dont remember the name of the car the guy mentioned) and then of the new S class.

He said the car was a prototype model, and hence it has a button-on body kit rather than camo stickers to hide its actual shape. He didnt let me take any photos of the interior, but rest assured it was futuristic.

I think a warning to 56k'ers may be in order.
Cool pics though.
Some of those weird ones look great.

Nicely done. I will have to put this on my To Do list.

definitely, i am planning to go there again
The coolest thing is their audio guide system. Basically, you have a PDA sort of thing with an infrared and wireless device built on. When u walk into a particular hall, the introduction starts automatically on what that hall is about. At the exhibits, u point to a symbol on a plague near the exhibits and it loads the corresponding exhibit. Also, there are video screens with a similar plaque nearby, and when u use this, u can hear the audio track, for which u have 11 languages to choose from

peter3hg2 said:
Cool pics though.
Can I ask a stupid question?

-Cpt. J.- said:
peter3hg2 said:
Cool pics though.
Can I ask a stupid question?
If you want.

Here is a pano shot of the final hall at the museum of some mercs on the wall

alokharidas said:
That ones great, I assume they're empty shells?

peter3hg2 said:
alokharidas said:
That ones great, I assume they're empty shells?

I am not sure, the foundations of each of the cars on the wall would be a bit too hardcore for empty bodyshells, but I could be wrong

dial up modem users, whose common speed is 56kbps, which is too slow for such a large number of images

alokharidas said:
dial up modem users, whose common speed is 56kbps, which is too slow for such a large number of images
... Ofcourse... too obvious for a guy like me. :lol: :oops:

That has got to be the best museum in the world! Its been on my "to do..." list for ages. The only way it could be better is if you could sit in the oldies. Were there many cars (old,classic) that you could sit in alokharidas?

wow, definately will have to go to there

love that trailer :thumbsup:

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
That has got to be the best museum in the world! Its been on my "to do..." list for ages. The only way it could be better is if you could sit in the oldies. Were there many cars (old,classic) that you could sit in alokharidas?

All the old cars, and I mean all of them, which are placed in the topmost hall (which if you visit, would be the first one) are all on a tilted dias sort of thing along the wall. They are quite out of reach of viewers, so you wont be able to ride on them, but if someone visited the frankfurt motor show last year, they had the original working version of their first car and I even managed to get a ride in it :) short one, but still. If you want, I have some photos from the third day of my visit to frankfurt motor show, I can post them in a new thread.

Hell I could talk about this museum forever if I wanted to.

Now that some of you are genuinely interested, I can post some more pics without being shouted at ;-)

These are some of the photos of the oldies, mind you there were many many many more, but I had a false impression at that time that my battery was empty, so I was saving the shots

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

Here is a photo I made by a pathetic combination of three pictures of the entrance hall, where once you go in, there are two elevators, the lcd projectors built onto them. After you recieve your audio tour guide, you get into this elevator and it takes you all the way up to the topmost floor, where the first cars from Benz are. On the opposite walls of the two elevators, you can see the projection of mercedes benz videos as they go up and down. Since I combine three pix, half of the elevator cabin is missing ;-)

pano.jpg

Here is the only shot I have of some sort of test track Mercedes Benz has on campus. if you look, on the left side, there is a small circular track and a road coming out of this ring. The circular bit had a water hose on a swing arm that went round and round and I saw some big trucks being driven around it very fast. I am not sure if the track goes all the way round the Merc Campus, but I could see it till almost half the distance around the compound.

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg