Mercedes 450SEL 6.9 - false alarm, nothing to see here

Labcoatguy

Forum Addict
Car(s)
#Jaguar #XKR #XJR, #Saab #9-3 #9-5 #900
WOAAAAAAH it has those ugly american lights.......they look so ...... UAAAAAH.....

Right:

270.jpg

Wrong:

esM91MHYx4DT3pQ4NNzNk58ehnaJ.jpg

Edit:

For Fun haben wir mal einen Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9 auf den Rollenpr?fstand gestellt und gemessen. Erschreckend ist wie wenig von dieser Kurbelwellenleistung dann noch auf der Stra?e ankommt.
so wurden aus 286 Serien-PS magere 218 PS an den R?dern.

Translation: From the theoretical 286 PS you only get 218 on the wheels....not bad anyways.

Looks badass.

My relative used to have a gold one back in 70's. They were presidents car.

BTW, condition of car looks great in those pics.

Watch Ronin and you'll know the answer. Yes!

As for the American lights, typical 60s-80s idiot legislation. :roll: I'm sure you can find replacements on eBay.

This car just oozes sex, even in that awful paint job.

Go check it out and have a test drive...

Wow.... um I wasn't gonna post in this topic, but after reading up on it here this sounds like quite a rare and expensive car back in it's day. LCG...go for it, only cause it's a piece of history you'll know be a part of.

These were the first modern muscle saloons around, IMO.

What's most important about the car is its condition.

Remember the first rule of old cars: the maintenance and upkeep of the vehicle is going to reflect its initial cost, not its current value.

And this was a fairly pricey car to start with. In the Rolls Royce and Ferrari realm. With lots of complex parts. Especially the suspension.

But it could be one heck of a ride. I'd be pretty tempted, especially if I was or knew a good Merc shop.

Steve

It was that model that a film camera was strapped to its bumper and the short film Rendevous was made.

^ No it wasn't. If you're talking about "C'etait un rendezvous" that was a Ferrari.

araracd, a merc with ferrari sounds, innit? The guy drove a 450SEL 6.9, the ferrari sounds were later recorded.

the interior looks immaculate for something thats 30 years old

araracd said:
^ No it wasn't. If you're talking about "C'etait un rendezvous" that was a Ferrari.
Nope the director has said they used his Merc! There is even a picture of it with the camera strapped on.

A fabulous car which was once considered to be the best car of the world, parts are not an issue due to Mercedes classic car service. Be aware of the massive maintenance costs though!

Svempa said:
araracd said:
Nope the director has said they used his Merc! There is even a picture of it with the camera strapped on.

That is true. The film always did seem strange and sped up.

Mercedes_not_Ferrari.jpg

Always been a fan of the big Mercs, and even considered buying one at one stage. The one thing I don't like Mercedes in general (and this is probably down to personal taste more than anything else) is the bloody long throttle. I know it was done for smoothness etc, but try giving one a quick blip of the throttle.

You guys are absolutely right. The movie was done with the merc.

So it turns out that it was an ordinary 450SEL that the owner knew nothing about; his other car is a Prius, if that says anything. I test drove it anyway; nice power, especially considering how I couldn't feel any sensation of speed aside from the scenery rushing past. The steering, though, is spectacularly disconnected and loose, just like the 240D I drove a few months ago. I'm sticking to my MR2, thanks.