Schumacher to announce retirement in Monza

BlitzR

Formula One champion Michael Schumacher will announce his retirement Sunday at the Italian Grand Prix in Monza, the Bild newspaper reported Wednesday.

"We can't comment on everything. As we said, there will be more on Sunday," Schumacher's spokeswoman Sabine Kehm said.

The mass-circulation newspaper gave no source for its report.

Schumacher's manager, Willi Weber, was quoted as telling Bild, "We won't have anything to say before Sunday."

The German driver, who holds every major record in Formula One racing, has said before that he would announce a decision on his future at the Monza race.

Speculation has been growing in the German media in recent weeks that Schumacher would retire when his contract with Ferrari expires at the end of the season, which still has four Grand Prix, including the Italian race.

Schumacher trails defending Formula One champion Fernando Alonso by 12 points before the last four events.

Seems a little too soon since his form was coming back. Discuss

Don't particularly like him but I would love to see him catch-up and WIN this years series. Unfortunately for him that incident at Monaco will last forever.

Re: Schumacher to announce retirement in Monza

BlitzR said:
the Bild newspaper

i'm not saying that this can't be possible but according to bild the earth is flat and pigs can fly ;)
in other words there isn't a less reliable source of information than the bild newspaper

Hmm I'll wait until the announcement rather than trusting this report...

But if he does call it quits, at least he's doing it when he's still able to perform at a high level, rather than hanging around too long and having some mediocre performances at the end of his career - I respect a decision like that.

Some of the reasons Bild listed for his retirement are just flat out retarded. Saying Massa's single victory was the beginning of a new era and such? Barrichello won several races with Ferrari, yet there was never a 'new era' lol.

what will SniffPetrol use now for their Schumacher clips?

http://img304.imageshack.**/img304/774/latenews060802dp1.jpg

My bet is that he will take up another form of racing.

Saying Massa's single victory was the beginning of a new era and such? Barrichello won several races with Ferrari, yet there was never a 'new era' lol.

Yes, Massa always has and always will be a shitty driver, the only reason he's won a race is because he's had Ferrari around him. It won't be the start of a new era at Ferrari until they get another decent driver. But this schu decision might just pave the way for Raikkonen to officially announce his migration to ferrari.

Speculation aside though, I'll wait to hear confirmation of it actually happening. These rumors have been rife for ages now and they were only bound to escalate sooner or later. But I agree with Jay, schu surely won't just stop.

but to what type of racing?

WRC Schubaru anyone?

bartboy9891 said:
what will SniffPetrol use now for their Schumacher clips?

http://img304.imageshack.**/img304/774/latenews060802dp1.jpg

:lol: I'm going to miss those when Schumacher (either of them) retires.

flyingfridge said:
Saying Massa's single victory was the beginning of a new era and such? Barrichello won several races with Ferrari, yet there was never a 'new era' lol.

Yes, Massa always has and always will be a shitty driver, the only reason he's won a race is because he's had Ferrari around him. It won't be the start of a new era at Ferrari until they get another decent driver. But this schu decision might just pave the way for Raikkonen to officially announce his migration to ferrari.

Speculation aside though, I'll wait to hear confirmation of it actually happening. These rumors have been rife for ages now and they were only bound to escalate sooner or later. But I agree with Jay, schu surely won't just stop.

but to what type of racing?

WRC Schubaru anyone?

NASCAR, so he can crash into Montoya? :p

:lol: ^^ Now that would be funny

I can't see Schumacher doing other racing seriously - maybe the odd Le Mans, but I think for the most part he'll stop actively racing when he quits F1.

DTM - for multiple reasons:

mostly in germany, less travelling for family
there's enough money and exposure
there's more overtaking (although that might be a problem for him.)

MXM said:
DTM is a retirement home for f1 drivers :)
Yeah, but overall more fun to watch than F1 in recent years

I wount belive it until he confirms it.

I hope he continues but then again I would love to see him in DTM.

He won't run DTM. He only keeps a house in Germany for legal reasons. He, like most of F1 group, [not where I posted in this message but where p0w3r said] most of the time.

Ferrari doesn't run DTM, much like Mika with Mercedes, Michael will be a Ferrari ambassador for life. So unless he can drive a Ferrari in a race series somewhere, he's more than likely going to be a some sort of show pony for the Maranello group.

der_jackal said:
He won't run DTM. He only keeps a house in Germany for legal reasons. He, like most of F1 group, lives in Monaco most of the time.

What legal reasons would that be? Also, he lives in Switzerland...not Monaco like some F1 drivers.