External HD questions

vRS

Car(s)
'99 BMW 323i SE
Okey ive been thinking about buying one to store music, movies, game mods etc and I have some questions-

1: How do they work? are they like you're normal HD where as you access it through My Computer or are they like a memory stick and classed as a removable Disk?

2: After you add data from you're pc to it can you also add data from you're laptop? or is it only for one and one only.

3: Are they easy to use? i dont want to be taking ages to add files to them the easier and quicker the better.

Cheers

From my experience with my buddies ext. HD, it is basically like a very large version of a USB memory stick. So that means that you can use it on any PC, including desktops and notebooks. Using them just involves plugging in the power and then the USB cable, and I think it appears on "My Computer" as a removable disk.

1: How do they work? are they like you're normal HD where as you access it through My Computer or are they like a memory stick and classed as a removable Disk?
They're pretty much like a normal hard drive in a USB enclosure basically, they will act like a flash stick and are basically a removable disk yes. Mine, as you can see by clicking here shows as a normal hard drive.

2: After you add data from you're pc to it can you also add data from you're laptop? or is it only for one and one only.
You can plug it into any system with a USB/Firewire port (depends on HD model)

3: Are they easy to use? i dont want to be taking ages to add files to them the easier and quicker the better.
Plug in, let windows search through the files and then you can do what you want. Access files, move files, copy files. Whatever.

They are very easy to use. They are basically a big memory stick, which is detected as a hard drive in my computer. They require a power source too, so they are not powered via USB. Just get a reputable make and you should be fine.
You can plug it into any computer and it will work, no software required. They are pretty fast, so you shouldnt have to wait ages, unless you transferring hundreds of gigs!

I had one I used when I only had a laptop for music/movies/stuff.
It worked just like a normal HD, showed up next to C: but I still had to remove it like a memory stick (that safe removal stuff).
I used it as a huge usb memory stick and shared stuff with others, worked without a hitch on all their computers.
Mine was pretty easy to use, but it still took a bit longer to move files, compared to just moving them around within the computer.
If you get one be sure it is atleast usb 2.0, because some of my friends only had usb 1.0 and it took ages to transfer.

Just ask it you need more info :)

Shadowness said:
They require a power source too, so they are not powered via USB.

if you use a 2,5" hdd you can power it via usb ;)
it's much more convenient not having to carry a psu with you :)

Go for it. I'm getting the 500G version of that in the morning. Got a 250G WD now and it hasn't let me down at all. :thumbsup:

Similar question from me.
WHich should I go for.

WD_MyBookEssential.jpg

250gb ?74.01

or

Iomega%20Desktop%20Hard%20Drive.gif

320gb ?81.06

I will be using it mostly for recording TV onto.

i just picked up a pair of the WD MyBook's (500 GB version) for $179 a piece. they are working splendidly. its a single 500 GB drive vs. a pair of 250's striped. I use mine as storage for my FreeVo (all HD) and it working great.

My 500G version of that drive arrived today. Formatted to NTFS and currently copying the stuff from my 250G drive to it :)

Working smoothly as.

//Dave said:
My 500G version of that drive arrived today. Formatted to NTFS and currently copying the stuff from my 250G drive to it :)

Working smoothly as.

i love 500 GB drives :)

sandor_ said:
//Dave said:

Working smoothly as.

i love 500 GB drives :)

So do I..

http://img473.imageshack.**/img473/3865/drivegz9.png

..so do I. ;)

You can also just buy an enclosure like I did and stick a hard drive it in (I ran outta SATA ports).