Need some help picking some PC parts

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
At some point, I want to get rid of this AGP 6800 GT OC and upgrade to something a little better. This means I'll need a new mobo (since I'll need PCI-E), so it'll also be a good time to build a storage box using my current mobo (ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe).

This is the video card I'm eyeing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130034

I have a few questions / items that I need input on though. Oh, and no, I'm not made of money, so cost should come into play when answering these questions:

• I currently have a P4 3.0GHz CPU. Should I get a better CPU and put my current one in the storage box? Or should I save some money and keep my current one and buy a crappy one for my storage box?
  • If I should get a new CPU, what kind should I get? I hear the Core 2 Duo rock, but aren't they expensive?
  • What mobo should I get? This of course matters on what CPU I'll be using (my current P4 or a new one).
Besides that, the rest of the parts in my system are just fine: http://www.viper007bond.com/about/my-computer/

Re: Need some help picking some PC parts

Viper007Bond said:
  • I currently have a P4 3.0GHz CPU. Should I get a better CPU and put my current one in the storage box? Or should I save some money and keep my current one and buy a crappy one for my storage box?
  • If I should get a new CPU, what kind should I get? I hear the Core 2 Duo rock, but aren't they expensive?
  • What mobo should I get? This of course matters on what CPU I'll be using (my current P4 or a new one).
Besides that, the rest of the parts in my system are just fine: http://www.viper007bond.com/about/my-computer/

You should save a bit, and get a Core 2 Duo. There's one for $180 and another for $250 on newegg which are very nice. (since you are getting a new mobo anyways) What kind of socket does your current processor use? LGA or pins?

As far as mobos, tough to say. Not many out yet, and the ones that are out are pretty expensive. ($160+)

My current CPU is like 2 years old, so pins.

That video card is sweet as molasses :D I am an ATI man, so I'd probably go with the X1900 XTX, but either one will surely get the job done, hehe.

I'm not entirely settled on what would be the best CPU, but I do know the Core 2 Duo rock. My wife has one in her laptop and it smokes.

Play around with this a little:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html
The Core 2 Duo is incredible on those benchmarks :shock:

jeffy777 said:
That video card is sweet as molasses :D I am an ATI man, so I'd probably go with the X1900 XTX, but either one will surely get the job done, hehe.
A guy I know is selling 2 of those 'cause he's upgrading to something better. :lol:

Anyway, while ATi cards are pretty nice, I absolutely hate their drivers and software (I'll never go back to them, ugh), so nVidia for me. :)

Viper007Bond said:
jeffy777 said:
A guy I know is selling 2 of those 'cause he's upgrading to something better. :lol:

They're pretty much top of the line dude :p First ever to have GDDR4 memory....

Gives the card you posted a run for it's money:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/23/ati_radeon_x1950xtx/page6.html

I don't mind their drivers at all. I just disable the control center and that's that, haha.

I know, he's rich and nuts, so he has to have the absolute top of the line. He's selling his 4800 too I believe.

Yeah dude, scan through that Tom's Hardware article on the X1900 XTX. It does better than the 7900GT:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/23/ati_radeon_x1950xtx/page6.html

But if you want nVidia, then go with the 7950 GX2 :D (although is the performance boost really worth the extra cash?). And on some games the 7900 GT is better, so...I'd say no, hehe

Meh, I really do prefer nVidia over ATi. :/

And no, he's rich, I'm not. I can't afford to get a GX2, lol. ;)

Viper007Bond said:
Meh, I really do prefer nVidia over ATi. :/

That's cool man, everyone has their preferences :)

You don't like AMD either, eh?

Never had one, so I have no opinion of them. :) I'm typing on the first (and only) PC I ever built and that was 2 years ago. My first PC (the one before this) was a Dell and all my parents have ever had were Dells (except for the 486 days and earlier of course).

Viper007Bond said:
Never had one, so I have no opinion of them. :)

They're good, but obviously the Core 2 seems to be mopping the floor pretty well with them at this point.

You have to get a PCI-E motherboard, so you may as well get a better processor now, if you can afford it.

that 7900gt is great, viper. I have 2 of the 256 ones in my box right now. the only issue is you're gonna want to get an Nvidia chipset for the core 2 duo. If you cant get your hands on an intel nforce 590 SLI, then you should get an Nforce 4 SLIx16 that way you can upgrade to SLI along the way. You should get a BFG PSU, 650 watts for like $130, plenty for an SLI system.

Also, I've got 2 sticks of nice low latency ddr2 memory for your LGA 775. Corsair XMS 800mhz...selling on newegg for like $135 (1 total Gb). I'll sell to you for like $100. PM me if ur interested.

for cooling, you're gonna want a silverstone nitrogon CPU fan (on newegg for $60). CPU mag says that that's the best one for the core 2 duo.

as for the cpu, you should get the 6600 core 2 duo ($330).

Hope you've got enough cash. Otherwise, an AM2 might be better. Nothing wrong with an AMD. In fact, that's what i've got in my compy and it hauls ass. :evil:

Yeah, I'm not looking to build a whole new PC right now. I can't afford it. I'll get newer RAM and such later on. For now, I'm just looking to get a better video card. :)

I mean, the 2 gigs of PC3200 DDR I have now is fine as is my Antec TruePower 550W PSU.

Oh, and RE: CPU -- this PC is mostly for gaming, so multitasking isn't really that big of a deal to me. I just want whatever will get me the best performance in my games without making me poor. :)

Viper007Bond said:
Yeah, I'm not looking to build a whole new PC right now. I can't afford it. I'll get newer RAM and such later on. For now, I'm just looking to get a better video card. :)

I mean, the 2 gigs of PC3200 DDR I have now is fine as is my Antec TruePower 550W PSU.

Oh, and RE: CPU -- this PC is mostly for gaming, so multitasking isn't really that big of a deal to me. I just want whatever will get me the best performance in my games without making me poor. :)

Yeah, then I think you'd be good to stick with your current CPU ;)

Sounds good. :)

Okay, so then what's a good motherboard that'll support my current CPU while still allowing me to upgrade as much as possible in the future when the time comes?

It doesn't need integrated audio as I have a Audigy 2 ZS and if it has a NIC, it needs to be gigabit. No NIC is fine though because I just just buy a PCI one.

Any suggestions?

I'm not an expert on Intel based mobos, so I'll let someone else handle this one 8)

You have a S478-based CPU, so you're pretty much stuck with AGP. It wasn't until LGA775 that the motherboards replaced AGP with PCI-e. Don't worry dude, I'm in the same boat as you (but I have a 3.4E :) )

In order to get a better video card, you'll need to get a new motherboard. And that means a new CPU and possible new RAM.

cvg said:
You have a S478-based CPU, so you're pretty much stuck with AGP. It wasn't until LGA775 that the motherboards replaced AGP with PCI-e. Don't worry dude, I'm in the same boat as you (but I have a 3.4E :) )

In order to get a better video card, you'll need to get a new motherboard. And that means a new CPU and possible new RAM.

Sounds like it's Core 2 time for Viper :thumbsup:

Haha, okay. *waves bye bye to his CPU*

And do I REALLY have to get new RAM 'cause it seems silly to let this $200 worth of high quality OCZ Gold RAM go to waste. :cry:

If I do, then I may just put my plans on hold because that's basically a whole new PC and I can't afford that right now. :( (Nor is it worth it 'cause my PC still kicks most games asses. ;))