Need some help picking some PC parts

Viper007Bond said:
Haha, okay. *waves bye bye to his CPU*

And do I REALLY have to get new RAM 'cause it seems silly to let this $200 worth of high quality OCZ Gold RAM go to waste. :cry:

If I do, then I may just put my plans on hold because that's basically a whole new PC and I can't afford that right now. :( (Nor is it worth it 'cause my PC still kicks most games asses. ;))

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as well. I'm in the process of picking out parts to upgrade my A64 3000, and i'm going with a 6800GT (figured i'd give Nvidia another chance), and a core 2 duo, with 2GB of RAM. But i'm basically going to start from scratch, and build a new machine, and move my old box to either my media center, or a development/vmware server.

You mentioned something about using your old machine eventually for a storage server? That shouldn't require any upgrades because all it's doing is waiting for you to connect. I'd invest in a faster network card / switches, and maybe faster drives (even though IIRC you have SATA already) over a faster CPU or more ram.

I would go with AMD S939.. they're phasing it out soon, so the chips are really cheap. No need to buy new RAM, either. Out of the singlecore chips, 3700+, 3800+ and 4000+ are the best ones to go with. A 3700+ can easily be clocked well past the 4000+. My 3500+ is actually out-performing the 4000+ right now.

Best motherboards to go with are DFI and ASUS. My pick: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131568

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1707439+1050706980&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=343

hokiethang said:
Viper007Bond said:
Haha, okay. *waves bye bye to his CPU*

And do I REALLY have to get new RAM 'cause it seems silly to let this $200 worth of high quality OCZ Gold RAM go to waste. :cry:

If I do, then I may just put my plans on hold because that's basically a whole new PC and I can't afford that right now. :( (Nor is it worth it 'cause my PC still kicks most games asses. ;))

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as well. I'm in the process of picking out parts to upgrade my A64 3000, and i'm going with a 6800GT (figured i'd give Nvidia another chance), and a core 2 duo, with 2GB of RAM. But i'm basically going to start from scratch, and build a new machine, and move my old box to either my media center, or a development/vmware server.

You mentioned something about using your old machine eventually for a storage server? That shouldn't require any upgrades because all it's doing is waiting for you to connect. I'd invest in a faster network card / switches, and maybe faster drives (even though IIRC you have SATA already) over a faster CPU or more ram.
Wanna buy my 6800 GT OC and my 2 gigs of RAM? :)

Go for a Core2Duo mobo now and a E6600 CPU. Nothing can touch the C2D atm, if you want to wait till December, early 2007, engg samples of Quad-Core Intel's will start hitting the web and prices for C2D's will fall, they are falling in price even now.

Intel C2D E6600, cheaper here than newegg.com

For vga, 7900GS is a great buy atm.
AnandTech
HardOCP

RAM, I think some boards allow you to use older DDR1 as well, but I not entirely sure if all the S775 boards wont let you do that.

hokiethang said:
i'm going with a 6800GT (figured i'd give Nvidia another chance).

Unless you're not a gamer, go with something better!

jeffy777 said:
hokiethang said:
i'm going with a 6800GT (figured i'd give Nvidia another chance).

Unless you're not a gamer, go with something better!

I dunno, I play most of my games on my xbox360. But I need a somewhat capable card for HL2 and Command and Conquer, pretty much the only games I play.

And viper, i'm going to need PCI-E and DDR2 RAM, so I probably wouldn't be able to use your parts :-(

I'm considering stepping up to a 7600GT (since it's in the $140 range and I don't really want to spend a HUGE amount on it), even though the 7900GS is only $219. I dunno, there's some time to choose.

And I'm also considering the Plextor PX-755SA SATA DVD Burner, as I try to build my first non-IDE system.

hokiethang said:
I'm considering stepping up to a 7600GT (since it's in the $140 range and I don't really want to spend a HUGE amount on it), even though the 7900GS is only $219. I dunno, there's some time to choose.
My parents have a 7600GT on their desktop. There was an error on the website. It should have been ?120 to upgrade but it was only ?12. It seems like a cracking card although my dad doesn't do games so I haven't tried it with a modern game.

So I'm told even my PSU won't work. Looks like the only thing that I can keep outta this PC is my hard drives and audio card, so... ghey. I guess I'm putting off this upgrade 'cause I can't afford a whole new PC. :(

hokiethang said:
And viper, i'm going to need PCI-E and DDR2 RAM, so I probably wouldn't be able to use your parts :-(
The 6800 is AGP only as far as I know. ;)

The fastest AGP card is the 7800GS. Here's an article from Anandtech.

Quick price check shows $205.99 for a "recertified" or $269.99 for a brand-new one.

Make sure your PSU has 18A on one of the 12v rails, this card is power hungry.