[Tuner] 2007 Roush 427R Mustang

I would guess it's 427 flyweel HP, 415 at the wheels.

BerserkerCatSplat said:
I would guess it's 427 flyweel HP, 415 at the wheels.

If so, that's more efficient a drivetrain than any front-engined RWD car in recent memory. Perhaps it was 427 HP before the new SAE rules bumped the rating down a notch? Or maybe it was a typo; oh well, 427 vs 415 isn't exactly an SVT Cobra-level power downgrading scandal.

Perhaps 427 is on 95 octane and 415 is on 89 octane although I would expect a geater difference.

I think it looks like crap, but im sure its probably the best all around to drive. Most likly better than porky the pig GT500

As far as affordable sports cars, the GTO, Cobalt SS, Solstice, Sky, Corvette (44k) Mustang is a sports car whether or not you think it is.

One thing i've learned is that most of you guys on the other side base your decisions on absolute bullshit, and never really based upon an actual drive or real seat time.

Pathetic you kids are....muggin forons :roll:

niteriyder said:
One thing i've learned is that most of you guys on the other side base your decisions on absolute bullshit, and never really based upon an actual drive or real seat time.

You've never met any FinalGear member in-person, you can't just make false claims like that.

The Cobalt SS isn't a sportscar, neither the GTO or Mustang. The GTO and Mustang are musclecars, the Cobalt SS is a small coupe with a hairdryer bolted to it.

FATMOUSE said:
Here is a question: The 427R is supposed to have 427 horsepower, but yet the info page says it only makes 115hp more than the stock Mustang at 300.

Well, how much power does it make?
The additional power upgrade comes via a ROUSH-engineered ECM calibration which has been specially-tuned to work in harmony with the different exhaust system used on the vehicle.

Mally Dangerous said:
FATMOUSE said:
Here is a question: The 427R is supposed to have 427 horsepower, but yet the info page says it only makes 115hp more than the stock Mustang at 300.

The additional power upgrade comes via a ROUSH-engineered ECM calibration which has been specially-tuned to work in harmony with the different exhaust system used on the vehicle.
Sorry don't understand what your trying to say with this post. The second quote doesn't answer the question asked in the first post.

peter3hg2 said:
Mally Dangerous said:
FATMOUSE said:

Sorry don't understand what your trying to say with this post. The second quote doesn't answer the question asked in the first post.

I think we're down to, despite it being called the "427R" the car only makes 415bhp. Probably down to the sort of petrol used. If Roush tests with 104-octane racing petrol, it would make more power compared to standard 89-91-octane petrol.

Only conclusion is for someone to buy one of those cars and test with different kinds of petrol. :D

Didn't JC have a lot of good stuff to say about Roush in one his articles?

"Roush is different. Roush currently fields, I think, five of 43 Winston Cup Nascar racers, which makes the company a bit like Ferrari, McLaren and half of Williams rolled into one.

Roush is also responsible for the alarm/tracker on my GT, so that's not so good. But I don't allow personal issues to cloud my judgement. Actually, I do allow personal issues to cloud my judgement - it's why I punched Piers Morgan - but on this occasion, I'm going to play it straight and say, straight out, the Stage III Roush Mustang is a delightful way of going fast for not much money.

This opinion rather baffled the salesman. "But it's $43,000," he said incredulously. Precisely, that makes it ?23,800 and that, for a supercharged V8 muscle car is amazing, really. "Yes," said our man, "but our car only produces 415bhp which is a lot less than you get from Shelby or Saleen." To his astonishment, I wasn't bothered.

415bhp endows the Roush 'Stang with a 0-60 time of 4.9secs and a top speed of something or other. No one's tested it. But I can tell you the speedo only reads to 140. So in a straight line, it's not that epic. It is, however, when you get to a corner because it's lowered, firmed up and injected with a bit of beef. It's 15 per cent stiffer than normal and to be honest, so was I."

peter3hg2 said:
Mally Dangerous said:
FATMOUSE said:

That was a quote from the article. What I was referring to is that a lot of people have claimed to gain 10-12 HP from the ECM calibration and exhaust system combo. Therefore the total would be the advertised 427 HP.

ishigakisensei said:
Vette Boss said:
The GTO and Mustang are musclecars

The mustang is not now nor has it ever been a Muscle Car. Even the 1970 Mustang was still a Pony Car.

It's a thin line. It's been crossed by both on several occasions throughout the years.

ishigakisensei said:
Vette Boss said:
The GTO and Mustang are musclecars

The mustang is not now nor has it ever been a Muscle Car. Even the 1970 Mustang was still a Pony Car.

That's quite true. Cars like the current Mercury Marauder and Dodge Charger are closer to the traditional definition.

Actually I sort of agree with what Ford is doing with their styling. Some people don't agree with the retro-look, and say the styling division is fresh out of ideas, but IMO they should have stuck with the look to begin with. It's part of the car's character. The big mistake was how they moved away from the original 60's design during the 80s and 90s.

If you take a man from the 60's and bring him to the 997 turbo for instance, I bet he'd instantly know it was a 911, only newer and obviously more modern. The same thing with the old mini and the new one. I think it's right and fitting that the same is now true about the Mustang.

Good styling preserves a car's character and pays homage to its heritage.

Vette Boss said:
niteriyder said:

You've never met any FinalGear member in-person, you can't just make false claims like that.

The Cobalt SS isn't a sportscar, neither the GTO or Mustang. The GTO and Mustang are musclecars, the Cobalt SS is a small coupe with a hairdryer bolted to it.

Believe what you want to believe, but 'muscle car' is just a sub category stemming from sports car. The word sports car is so general these days. if by your definition, a sports car must handle good, and therefore 'muscle cars' cant handle ie; mustang, gto, etc then once again you're wrong :roll: this coming from a chap who drives a fuggin altima ...hey bro, hows that torque steer? :lol:

niteriyder said:
Vette Boss said:
niteriyder said:

Believe what you want to believe, but 'muscle car' is just a sub category stemming from sports car. The word sports car is so general these days. if by your definition, a sports car must handle good, and therefore 'muscle cars' cant handle ie; mustang, gto, etc then once again you're wrong :roll: this coming from a chap who drives a fuggin altima ...hey bro, hows that torque steer? :lol:

Ok, first of all let me be the Grammar Nazi and point out that a car handles well, not "good."

I disagree that a muscle car is a sub category of a sports car, the two have very different pedigrees and backgrounds. The first sports cars were little more than lightweight stripped down coupe models in the early 20th century. In Europe the evolution of light weight two seat cars continued on the twisty country and mountain roads as well as being fueled by the Le Mans races and national pride. The development of small lightweight and agile cars continued after WWII fueled by soldiers back from war and continued through the 1960s.

In America we never developed the small lightweight roadsters the way they did in Europe. Our automotive history is influenced not by Le Mans, but by Rum Runners. They took common American cars, usually Ford coupes and installed the largest engines available, often from Cadillac, so they could outrun the police while hauling heavy loads of bootleg whiskey. Of course when you get a bunch of guys who have built or modified their cars and make a living running from the law eventually they will want to know who is faster. Informal races in fields turned into spectator events at dirt tracks and then became NASCAR.

A sports car is small, lightweight, and designed for weekend drives through twisty country roads and has it's roots in Le Mans. American cars were larger to haul contraband and used larger engines to out power police and haul heavy loads. Rumrunners knew the dark country roads better than the police and relied on this knowledge to evade capture, not better handling.

The Pony Car is typically a V6 and not designed for racing. The 1964.5 Mustang typifies this category. These cars were usually 2+2 configurations and not as powerful as the V8 muscle cars. They were mostly made for highway cruising. Mustang crossed the muscle car/pony car line many times and still does, offering both V6 and V8 engines. However Mustang, like every other American muscle car, has never been a true European sports car.

The Mazda Miata sparked a rebirth of sports cars in the United States after the dissapearane of European sports cars from the market starting in the early 1970's. Since the Miata we have seen more sports cars enter the US market. Probably the closest American car to being a traditional sports car is the new Pontiac Solstice, which is actually built off a European chassis.

Sorry, niteriyder, but I think you are wrong here. It seems like some people have a problem with cars like the Vette being called muscle cars and I don't understand that. There's nothing wrong with being a muscle car and being a sports car is not for everyone. Let the Vette and the Mustang be muscle cars ane let them be good at being muscle cars. Try to lump them in with the MX-5, RX-8 and true sports cars and you are not making a fair comparison.

I completely agree with that, although the newer Vettes clearly belong into the sports car category for me. (Lightweight, Weight Distribution, etc)
And are you sure the Solstice is based on a European Platform? I know the Opel GT uses the same, but I don't know where it was developed.

Solstice was built on a brand new platform Called Kappa which I think was developed in America. However the concept was built on a platform similar to the the Delta which is mostly used in European GM branches.