How comfortable are racing shoes?

zeoniks

Car(s)
2007 Nissan Murano
I always wanted to wear a pair of racing shoes. They seem really comfortable. I know their not expensive so I wouldn't mind getting a pair. Any recommendations?

Actually... the new style that i have seen is that all the major companies are making racing shoes into everyday shoes. I went to footlocker the other day and there were all these different racing shoes made by adidas and puma. There good to wear in the car, but outside they aren't comfortable. I walked around the mall in mine and they have more support than normal racing shoes and my feet were hurting after a while. Racing shoes normally have no support, and its really thin.

I'm thinking about buying a pair for just when im driving, and take them off everytime i get out of the car. :mrgreen:

I have a pair of Puma racing shoes...speedcats, the one where puma sponsored F1 drivers wear. :mrgreen:

I also have a pair of the replicats....the non fireproof version and they are almost exactly the same, except the real ones are harder to walk with since they strap your ankle more and that they dont have nomex.

Generaly, they are not comfortable (almost like wering converse chucks)...but i like the replicats since they are in style now and they look nice. The adidas ones are more comfortable, but not as nice looking or as in style. :p

CBuck03 said:
I'm thinking about buying a pair for just when im driving, and take them off everytime i get out of the car. :mrgreen:

Jeremy Clarkson said:
Dont come to my house for dinner!

Open question to anyone who wears racing shoes for driving:

What's so different about then than a pair of sneakers or Dockers? Do they actually help with driving? Is there a noticeable difference?

What are the chances of them being made in a 14 B? Yeah, thought so. I'll stick with the Nike Airs I've been wearing since 1996.

BlaRo said:
Open question to anyone who wears racing shoes for driving:

What's so different about then than a pair of sneakers or Dockers? Do they actually help with driving? Is there a noticeable difference?

I have a pair of Adidas Monzas (I think thats what they are, the sole is the same tread as a Goodyear Tire) and they are superb for driving. Super light, the sides near your pinky toe is rubber reinforced for heel and toe shifting, the heel is designed so it doesnt drag on the floorboard. The sole is super gummy rubber, so you will never have your foot slip off the pedals. Plus, since if you are only going to use the shoes for drivng, they will last you a long time.

But they are painful to walk with. These are for driving only. I only wear these when driving long distances or fun driving and change to other shoes when I get out of the car.
http://img516.imageshack.**/img516/1736/dsc0026ik8.jpg

Also look into Piloti shoes. they are excellent and can be worn all around

jayhawk said:
I have a pair of Adidas Monzas (I think thats what they are, the sole is the same tread as a Goodyear Tire) and they are superb for driving. Super light, the sides near your pinky toe is rubber reinforced for heel and toe shifting, the heel is designed so it doesnt drag on the floorboard. The sole is super gummy rubber, so you will never have your foot slip off the pedals. Plus, since if you are only going to use the shoes for drivng, they will last you a long time.

But they are painful to walk with. These are for driving only. I only wear these when driving long distances or fun driving and change to other shoes when I get out of the car.
I have those exact same shoes. They are called Adidas Tuscany and IMO they are really comfortable. "Not painful to walk with" at all!

Those are no longer available though, AFAIK. There's been kind of a facelift. IIRC they're now called Tuscany II. They do look very similar and I have a pair of these too.

I'm very happy with both, although I didn't buy them specifically for driving.

i have the real thing ... fire proof and all... they are expensive.. i got the cheepest at 170 euro... but they are so compy.... i wear then all day rallying and most of the time the drive back home.. they are great if you left foot brake while driving as they are thinner than normal shoes...

also if you crash your feet wont be burnt lol

I have a pair of Puma Speed Cat US, they are excellent for heel-and-toe driving, and looks very nice too!

oliB said:
jayhawk said:

I have those exact same shoes. They are called Adidas Tuscany and IMO they are really comfortable. "Not painful to walk with" at all!

Those are no longer available though, AFAIK. There's been kind of a facelift. IIRC they're now called Tuscany II. They do look very similar and I have a pair of these too.

Same here, got them in white-black-white and wear them every day. They are comfortable and i really can't tell if my driving got any better with them. In fact I don't give a fuck. But they look cool and are comfortable and thats the main thing.

Any one got some good weblinks for some good racing shoes.... i have bigish feet (size 15)

p0w3r said:
West said:
anto-t said:

Well that's a plus!

agreed :mrgreen:

heres a pic i found of my pair of fireproof pumas (any my gloves...) :)

puma.jpg

thats the pair i attually have :p in blue tho not red.... good boot.... i also have glove but only use them on long jounerys. like across the country...
i also have the suit, under wear and helmet... i went for the cheepest in everything and it still cost a bomb....

I had those old tucany's too. I loved those shoes.
Then a customs agent took one out of my bag while it was getting sent thru to Vancouver.
I hate alaska airlines.
They lost my shoe on the way there and fucked up my skis and ski bag on the return flight.

anto-t said:
p0w3r said:
West said:
anto-t said:

Well that's a plus!

agreed :mrgreen:

heres a pic i found of my pair of fireproof pumas (any my gloves...) :)

puma.jpg

thats the pair i attually have :p in blue tho not red.... good boot.... i also have glove but only use them on long jounerys. like across the country...
i also have the suit, under wear and helmet... i went for the cheepest in everything and it still cost a bomb....

Yea i know right? I also have the suit (also in red to match the shoes :p) but my helmet is not fireproof since i only race/raced karts and it was not required.

oliB said:
jayhawk said:

WOW, the timing of this thread. I've just needed to get a new pair of shoes so on your recommendations, I went out and tried out a pair of Tuscanys. I love them, they are bloody awesome!! I've always had a very narrow foot, and have never had a pair of shoes that have really fitted me well. But these are like they've been custom made for me!! They fit awesome!

On the shoes, the original Tuscanys are still available, that's what I got, in white. the facelifted model is called the Adi Racer, and they have a slightly different tread design and stitching pattern. But that's the only difference.

Anybody ever tried wrestling shoes? I mean real wrestling, not the "pro" acting stuff. I used to wrestle and when I first saw someone wearing driving shoes, I thought they were wrestling shoes. They're similar to the Sparco ones in the pic above. The good thing is that they have very thin soles (for more feel foot feel on the mat) and they're very light, like driving shoes. I'll have to try it out while heel-toe-shifting. Trying that while in my Nike Shox, sometimes I get caught up by the carpeting and whatnot.