anyone ever tried rallycross?

patrick10

Car(s)
s13 and a beater daily
im thinking about making it a project for the audi. its beat as hell anyways so i might as well have fun with it. so what do you guys think? i was thinking of entering the rally prepared class in scca rallycross

scca rules here

You will lose a lot of weight by removing the windows and the entire interior bits; the glove compartment alone is really heavy on VW and Audi. I would say that you?re going to be really good if you go extreme, specially because one: few in that class go all out because its their day to day driver and second: few are in that class.

i was thinking of going in the stock class for a while first, then striping the hell out of it, chipping it and pulling off the exhaust after i got a handle of rallying.

I have never done rallycross but i have done SCCA Road Rally that is considerably more difficult that one would think. If its a Quattro you will do well, I would say chipping it would be second after a good set of tires.

i am already rocking snow tires and in stock class i cant have studded tires so i think im set

i know a few people who drive rally and rallycross, and i've went to see some events, and if i were to do some sort of motorsports, it would definately be rallycross

compared to rally the tracks are shorter and windier, so it's more to driving skill and you don't realy need a fast expensive car, entrance prices to compete are a lot cheaper as well
and it's simpler, it's just drive your heat, and go watch the others (or repair your car). in rally you're constant under stress caus you have to reach the next checkpoint on time.

and since all the action takes places on 500m?, it's nicer to go watch as spectator as well, you see everything, whereas in rally you only see 1 bend at the time

I rallycrossed once in my MR2, and it was enormous fun. Ground clearance is an absolute must, though I suspect I had more problems with it than most vehicles there :oops: Is your Audi FWD or AWD? The people rallycrossing FWD vehicles found it both easier and more involved because they had to constantly whack the rear end around with braking or hand-braking, while I could just throttle-steer. Of course the entirety of the top-ranked cars were Subarus of various lineage.

Re: anyone ever tried rallycross?

patrick10 said:
im thinking about making it a project for the audi. its beat as hell anyways so i might as well have fun with it. so what do you guys think? i was thinking of entering the rally prepared class in scca rallycross

scca rules here

I have been looking to get into rallycross and rally racing for a while. Now that I finaly have a house with a garage and access to very cheap cars at wholesale values I can start working on a project.

I am thinking a late 80's through mid 90's civic as they are pretty tough and tons of aftermarket support. A Nissan Sentra SE-R would also be a good choice as they have a stock LSD.

Re: anyone ever tried rallycross?

British_Rover said:
patrick10 said:

scca rules here

I have been looking to get into rallycross and rally racing for a while. Now that I finaly have a house with a garage and access to very cheap cars at wholesale values I can start working on a project.

I am thinking a late 80's through mid 90's civic as they are pretty tough and tons of aftermarket support. A Nissan Sentra SE-R would also be a good choice as they have a stock LSD.
only b15 (i think 01 and up) se-r spec v's had stock lsd's... ever think of a 1g dsm or a gvr4?

remember, it is always cheaper (usually substantially cheaper) to buy an already prepped racing vehicle than it is to build your own. though building your own can increase the fun-factor, if you enjoy it.

Grassroots motorsports in the last few issues or so has covered thier own stage rally buildup of a 1995 Imprezza. It started as a junk car, they did some rallycross and then went stage rallying.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/category/project-cars/1995-subaru-impreza-rallycrosser/

If you look around maybe there is somthing more about it, or find someone with a back copy or order it. If i can find it i will scan thier articles about rally crossing. Although i probably cant.

Read GRM anyways its a great magazine.

the SCCA has a rallycross leauge?

:shock:

I only thought it was British centric...wow, if this catches on like drifting did....

well im going to do it but its going to have to wait till next year. im only doing this to have a good time so im not concurned with being competitive or having the right car or right setup so im not bothering to do much with it. i bought the audi for 400 bucks so im not even worried about if it breaks. im not going to make it a full out rally car, i want something i can drive to the race and back.

btw the grassroots challenge is probably the best idea ive ever heard of