Top Gear's Future

HeJo

I just read this on the BBC website ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5367516.stm ):

[...] Despite such complaints, the new format was a massive success with Richard Hammond joining the show in 2002.

It is currently shown in more than 100 countries around the world, and Top Gear magazine is the UK's biggest-selling car magazine. "It's tremendously popular," says magazine editor Michael Harvey.

"We know that the show... is the most pirated TV show in the world, beating programmes like Lost and Desperate Housewives. On [video website] Youtube, before the BBC asked them to take the clips down, one video of Jeremy had 938,000 downloads." [...]

The BBC and the Health and Safety Executive will investigate the crash, and it is likely the programme - and its stunts in particular - will come under close scrutiny. The broadcaster could not say on Wednesday whether plans for the new season would be affected by the accident.

"The new series is scheduled for October, but given the circumstances it is too early to confirm transmission dates," said a BBC spokeswoman.

"I don't think it's time for navel-gazing and looking at the future now," says Mr Harvey. "The only reaction is to be incredibly concerned for Richard. But up until this time yesterday, the future for Top Gear was incredibly rosy. I don't see any reason why it should have changed."

I wasn't quite aware how controversial (and popular) Top Gear is in the UK. I read Jeremy's comments last week that TG would not work in the long run because it would become too repetitive and it had attracted too many critics.

Anyway, let's hope Hammond gets well and returns to TG soon and participates in many more seasons of the world's favourite car show! ;)

Given the crash he had, if they hadn't taken the utmost precautions I'm pretty sure he'd be dead. If top gear goes down because of this, when no one did anything wrong, i will seriously be pissed.

To me, the show is so good because it's controversial. They get away with a ton of stuff that would never fly here in the Hardass States of America.

A good example is the episode of Mythbusters last week. Adam was all set to jump off the side of a building to recreate a movie stunt. The whole thing was set up and supervised by professional stunt coordinators. The show's insurance company called in at the last minute to say he couldn't do it. One of the less important hosts got to do it in his place. Adam was pissed, and rightfully so. Now just look at all that sort of stuff like they've done on Top Gear. Richard especially. I hope they can continue to the same things they've always done.

Top Gear is not going down the pan, you can be sure of that.

For one, it is incredibly popular, not just through ratings but it also has its own magazine. Not many TV shows (of any nature) can boast that kind of cult success. Secondly, the investigation will not highlight any error of the Top Gear Presentation/Production team (going on the present information) as many who were at the scene explicitly claim that all cautions were taken. And knowing the way the BBC is ran and how it tends to a bit overzealous on safty in recent years, I can buy into that claim.

I'm sorry, but I think it's a bit early to be talking about Top Gear. Hammond was only injured yesterday. Without an investigation it's too early to tell and Hammond needs to recover.

I just feel kind of guilty thinking about Top Gear while a man is still laying in the ICU.

Blind_Io said:
I just feel kind of guilty thinking about Top Gear while a man is still laying in the ICU.

You one of those guys that cries after sex aswell? :yes:

:p

No, Jack. But I am the kind of guy who thinks that someone's life is more important than me getting a pirate download on time. I'd rather miss this season entirely if it means Hammond making a full recovery.

It was just a jibe :)

Blind_Io said:
No, Jack. But I am the kind of guy who thinks that someone's life is more important than me getting a pirate download on time. I'd rather miss this season entirely if it means Hammond making a full recovery.
I don't care about this season as well, I'm talking about the grander scheme of the BBC bowing to pressure that the show promotes unsafe motoring.

Raven18940 said:
Blind_Io said:
I don't care about this season as well, I'm talking about the grander scheme of the BBC bowing to pressure that the show promotes unsafe motoring.

That's been there a long time mate, I can't imagine it having much sway, even after this.

Maybe if the crash was in a regular road-type-car on a public road, maybe it would have some leverage. The Beeb (BBC) have been really good for Top Gear, regarding its defence. They tend to shrug off most complaints, even from parliment.

Hi there, just registered after hearing the bad news :(.

It really wouldn?t surprise me if the BBC pulled the show after this, it?s just the sort of thing safe driving and eco groups need to get their own way.

Even if it wasn?t on a public road in a normal road going car, it was being recorded for Top Gear, therefore boy racers will be buying jet engines and fitting them in their cars and going up and down the M1.

I've started a pre-emptive petition which if needed, can be given to the BBC if they even start to hint at the idea of cancelling it, as it will be too late to do anything at that point.

If you want to sign up, the address is http://www.petitiononline.com/Topgear/petition.html .

The capital T is needed, or you will get a Spanish petition about Top Gear ;) .

The annoying thing about the whole thing is the lack of information. I know a nurse at Leeds General, but she wont tell me anything more than the news is telling us for obvious reasons :( which tbh, is fair. Not sure if i would want my doctors and nurses going around telling people about my medical history :).

Anyways, i really hope that "hamster" makes a full recovery, even if he quits top gear or it?s axed, he still has a family to support and love.

Pieh0

Signed the petition.

I've signed the petition.
But I fear it?s all in vain.
Treehugging hypocrites are gonna have a field day with this.
TG is (probably) doomed. :? :x

Hang in there Hamster!
Get well soon!

If hammond is ok, and will be back with the show, I do not see them cancelling it. It has the largest audience, it is the most pirated, and has grabbed the motoring community by the horns, as they say. I say if the enviromentalists want to cancell the show... we rev our engines for 5 minutes straight in protest!!!! lol

Pieh0 said:
Even if it wasn?t on a public road in a normal road going car, it was being recorded for Top Gear, therefore boy racers will be buying jet engines and fitting them in their cars and going up and down the M1.

Thats the kind of reporting ITV will do (and has done). All the teenagers wiill be buying jet engines ( :roll: christ almighty) and tearing the tarmac apart, in their multi-million ? dragsters. Bloody Eco-mentalists.

Pieh0 said:
I know a nurse at Leeds General ...

Tell me more of this nurse though :p any images? :thumbsup:

I dont understand why some of you guys are saying TG is probably or might or could be doomed.

You guys might be right, who knows? but i hate to think of that.

Yeah, he might be injured. Sure the show might take a hit but i doubt it'll have a really big impact on the show. I actually think it'll boost its popularity even more and more people will start watching it. These media coverages are giving a reason to watch the show. What other shows push the limits so far? Fifth Gear? LOL Tiffs a pussy just like that girl host! And these american car shows? They have wayy too many insurance problems. Not to mention half of the cars that are reviewed on TG will never be seen in any American show. And those hosts are more scared of going fast than they are of dying (i rather surf youtube). TopGear is on an other level!

Honestly, id be really mad if this show comes to a hault. It'll give me another reason to do something stupid. I dont think there are many shows that bring these many people to their fan sites. If anything happens to TG, i'll feel like im losing something of my own!

-Mojo-

LONG LIVE TOPGEAR!

mojo_786 said:
I dont understand why some of you guys are saying TG is probably or might or could be doomed.

You guys might be right, who knows? but i hate to think of that.

Yeah, he might be injured. Sure the show might take a hit but i doubt it'll have a really big impact on the show. I actually think it'll boost its popularity even more and more people will start watching it. These media coverages are giving a reason to watch the show. What other shows push the limits so far? Fifth Gear? LOL Tiffs a pussy just like that girl host! And these american car shows? They have wayy too many insurance problems. Not to mention half of the cars that are reviewed on TG will never be seen in any American show. And those hosts are more scared of going fast than they are of dying (i rather surf youtube). TopGear is on an other level!

Honestly, id be really mad if this show comes to a hault. It'll give me another reason to do something stupid. I dont think there are many shows that bring these many people to their fan sites. If anything happens to TG, i'll feel like im losing something of my own!

-Mojo-

LONG LIVE TOPGEAR!

Your preaching to the choir here mate, losing Top Gear for everyone here would be like losing a limb.

But in all honesty I can't imagine the Beeb wanting to cripple the show, its just too popular and makes the ratings on every show. Its not really the show itself that we need to think about.

Just the small chap, known as Hamster, whom is in a bad way. Thats the real focus.

If Hammond is unable to return to TG, then I think TG should be cancelled, because it'd be impossible to replace him.

Deanodriver said:
If Hammond is unable to return to TG, then I think TG should be cancelled, because it'd be impossible to replace him.

Give it a chance mate. :roll:

And, at least give the midget a chance to recover.