Military coup in Thailand

Cowardly? Sounds smart to me.

"We deeply regret the fact that such a coup has taken place; obviously to see democracy destroyed in that way is a matter for grave concern to us," Foreign Minister Alexander Downer told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio by telephone from New York.
Democracy destroyed? From what little information was in the article it sounds more like it was restored.

zenkidori said:
Democracy destroyed? From what little information was in the article it sounds more like it was restored.
"Democracy" has been destroyed and restored dozens of times in Thailand since WW2. That's why I think this will only last for a short time. It always seems to be temporary. In addition, the king has challenged the army before, even though they were the ones with all the weapons...
Thailand has always had complex problems, in one form or another. :(

I have a good friend here from Bangkok who has only been living in the states for a few months, he said he was pleased to see it happen. He said the general feeling among people there was simmilar to how it is (sorta) with Bush here in the state. Done some good things, but alot of people dislike him. But the former thai PM was apparantly quite corrupt, he would fire poeple he didnt like and replace them with his buddies. He was happy to see him ousted. You have to realise in Thailand they love thier king, and that if theres going to be one person having that much power it would be the king, not some power hungry PM.

tmbrudy said:
You have to realise in Thailand they love thier king, and that if theres going to be one person having that much power it would be the king, not some power hungry PM.

agreed. My mom was at the King's celebration for 60years in power and she was up in the place where the king was and stuff, the pictures she showed me where the entire ground was yellow to respect the king was really :shock: .

And yea, even though this happened, many people are grateful for it, he is a really corrupt PM and looking at the things he did, it had to happen someday.

I haven't cancelled my trip for the end of the year and am not going to. The King supports the coup so it should be peaceful.

I'll stay sceptical about this, as with all military coups. What often happens is the replacement of one form of hypocracy with another. I have read that the PM in exile's policy were favouring the poorer, rural Thais, rather than the city-dwelling upper and middle class. I'm wondering why it's takeing a year to restore democracy, and why all political meetings are being banned, and former government members being detained.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5366908.stm