California Sues Automakers Over Emissions

Yeah, I heard about this. Sorry, I don't car how "green" you are, this is a waste of time and money. The auto makers have not broken any laws and are operating well within their rights - most of which are not even based in California but they have still cooperated with the state and designed cars to follow their more strict guidelines.

If I were the auto makers I would just not show up or mount any kind of defense. My defense would be, "Your Honor, the Defense rests. The burden of proof is on the prosecution and they have failed to make even the most basic case." Then drive to the bar in my SUV and have a beer while the dendrophiles pedal home to granola and organic lettuce.

Actually, screw that. I would file a counter-suit for fraud. California has the most strict emissions standards in the nation and the auto makers have worked to meet every one of their insane laws then the state turns around and sues the automakers for not doing enough? Screw you, California. You set the standards, so I say file a counter-suit saying that Califonia mis-led the industry with the intention of extorting money at the very moment the big 3 are most vulnerable. They are laying off their workers and shutting down plants and California pulls this shit? If this were the age of McCarthy (and it's getting more like that every day) California would be dragged in front of the House UnAmerican Activities Committee.

*points emphatically at sig and avatar while making rude hand gestures out the window at California.*

You say that now, but I wouldn't mess with the Terminator carrying a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

Yeah, good thing there's no such thing as either. This is just a political stunt to appeal to the liberal left before the elections.

un-dee said:
You say that now, but I wouldn't mess with the Terminator carrying a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

The article makes it seem like it wasn't the Governator who was behind this, but still...I do like the counter suit for fraud. Makes sense, too.

Some of us live here, and this suit could mean thousands of jobs in the Midwest.

zenkidori said:
i really wish aenima would come true sometime soon. ;)
See you down in Arizona Bay.

Why does California think they're more special than everybody else? This holier-than-thou elitist bullshit needs to die soon.

About once a week I feel like driving to the San Andreas Fault and jumping up and down for an hour.

In America, anybody can sue you for anything, so my only words to this case are:

Come on. Just, come on.

I really can't believe most of nice cars in the United States reside in California. They hate cars in California...

BBC News said:
The lawsuit, lodged on behalf of the Californian people by state attorney-general Bill Lockyer, alleges that emissions from cars made by the firms in question account for 30% of all carbon dioxide emissions in California.
Funny how they're not suing the other 70%.
Oh wait, that would mean they'd have to sue businesses that are based in California, and they'd have to sue God. :roll:

I will bitch slap bill lockyer.
My dad's office is 3 minutes on foot from his.
I've even met him a few times.
Motherfucker :thumbsdown:

Jacobfox said:
I will bitch slap bill lockyer.
My dad's office is 3 minutes on foot from his.
I've even met him a few times.
Motherfucker :thumbsdown:

Address?

*evil grin*

I promise I wont be waiting outside with a water balloon full of rancid mayonaise or anything.

Out of curiosity, what does he drive?

I think California is just trying to build up money before they break off and start floating toward Japan. :lol: It would be pretty funny if the federal DOT would give them less money for their roads for trying to pull something like this. Now I'm temped to go on a road trip and do some San Andreas fault wheeling in my Disco.

KaJuN said:
I think California is just trying to build up money before they break off and start floating toward Japan. :lol: It would be pretty funny if the federal DOT would give them less money for their roads for trying to pull something like this. Now I'm temped to go on a road trip and do some San Andreas fault wheeling in my Disco.

i'm waiting for the big one to hit the san andreas, and simply drop the coast into the pacific ocean. hopefully lose hollywood, but keep the far north of kalifornia.

in the words of tim armstrong -
"So with no evacuation
Let California fall into the fucking ocean"

I live in the San Francisco area. Richmond is the town, but I do all my food shopping near Berkeley.

Trust me, you want the whole place to drop into the Pacific. Bunch of damned dirty hippies.